I Forge Iron

My anvil is uglier than yours!

According to anvils in america and basic design it looks like a buffalo forge co anvil. Weird lookin anvil though and don't know what kind of quality it is.

It's just a solid cast iron anvil. I knew when I got it that it wasn't a prize lol. Although it is similar looking to a fisher but there's no face plate. One can dream right? Lol

Fishers always had really defined markings in them, there's absolutely nothing on this one. It was thrown in with 2 forges, a bunch of tools, 300 anarco and red Indian cans and a whole bunch of other stuff so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

• 1 month later...

I went to an estate auction in 2008.  The newspaper ad said there was an anvil so I went to check it out.  Aparently I wasn't the only one.  The auctioneer was surprised by the laughter when this went on the block.

I give you...Frankenanvil!

post-417-0-39917800-1380903277_thumb.jpg

*OUCH* that hurts!  Looks like they torched it out to use as a weight bolted on a tractor or something and needed to not interfere with something that protruded---then it broke off the back end and the other piece was thrown in with it.

Wish I had it for my "wall of shame" abused anvils display.

Of course I was once at a VoTech looking a a beautiful swageblock in it's original commercially made holder  which they were using as an anvil stand and had torched out the center of the swageblock to make it easier to move.....some folks had better attend church regularly as it's going to take a heap of praying to get them into heaven!

• 1 year later...

Well, here is an abused Fisher I'll add to the sorry lot of abused anvils. Almost looks to be deliberate damage. Beside the heel being broke off at the hardy hole, take a close look. Looks as if someone took a chisel or torch to the face and horn area note the three cut lines. Wonder what happened to it? I picked it up 8 years ago, I had bought a bunch of antiques from a fellow clearing out space in an old barn including a nice 275LB Peter Wright. He said "hey there is an old anvil in the scrap pile". I dug around and sure enough this was it. He had recently purchased the place and had no history to explain it. I do not usually waste time and money on anvils like this but the horn looked good and I decided to drag it home before it went to scrap I paid him scrap price for it I think ten bucks at the time. I've always been meticulous about caring for my tools it is a good reminder to take care of them!

post-39154-0-90356000-1417556149_thumb.j

post-39154-0-64613400-1417556229_thumb.j

post-39154-0-18251600-1417556233_thumb.j

Well, here is an abused Fisher I'll add to the sorry lot of abused anvils. Almost looks to be deliberate damage. Beside the heel being broke off at the hardy hole, take a close look. Looks as if someone took a chisel or torch to the face and horn area note the three cut lines. Wonder what happened to it? I picked it up 8 years ago, I had bought a bunch of antiques from a fellow clearing out space in an old barn including a nice 275LB Peter Wright. He said "hey there is an old anvil in the scrap pile". I dug around and sure enough this was it. He had recently purchased the place and had no history to explain it. I do not usually waste time and money on anvils like this but the horn looked good and I decided to drag it home before it went to scrap I paid him scrap price for it I think ten bucks at the time. I've always been meticulous about caring for my tools it is a good reminder to take care of them!

The break at the hardy hole seems to be the most common place for Fisher anvils to have broken.  I have at least 3 in the collection that have this damage.  A problem with a cast anvil is that it is subject to damage if abused, and the "flaw" of the hardy hole with the square corners does not help.

Rapula.  Neat anvil artifact.  If that anvil could talk, I wonder what would be the story behind all of that damage.  Almost looks like it was in an explosion that sheared its top off.  Unless it had some sort of internal flaw from when it was made, I cannot imagine what could have caused that damage.  Anybody have any other ideas?

I'm with Jim, my first thought upon seeing Rapula's anvil was corrosion from either a wet agressive soil such as a bog or wetland or perhaps being in salt water. Also looks like some mechanical damage. I have worked as a civil engineer for 36 years for the Forest Service and spend most of my time working on bridges large drainage structures and for 25 years I worked in SE Alaske where I worked on many marine facilities. I have seen very similar damage many times on all of the above while replacing or repairing them. As the Anvil man said if it could talk....  Very cool

I think this Mousehole has given all it had to give. It would have been a decent size - probably around 130lbs. It's been sitting at a local antique shop for years. I need to ask the price one day and just buy it to sit around for conversation reason and make my repaired Wilkinsons look amazing!

post-28670-0-10590300-1418089107_thumb.j

They also have this Peter Wright 1-0-11 that has been pummeled with dents for $400...

post-28670-0-37991600-1418089376_thumb.j

This one meets Meriam Webster's definition of "a heavy, usually steel-faced, iron block on which metal is shaped...".

I call it frankenvil.  it's an 80 lb block of D2 with a round bar bolted on one end and a piece of RR track plate on the other (heel and hardy holes).  The block is 9x9x5, and it through-hardened and heat treated to an RC 62, per the machinist that gave it to me.  it's mine because of his generosity, and the fact that the two large holes for the gears were out of alignment just a touch.

post-734-0-73701700-1418097186_thumb.jpg