I Forge Iron

My anvil is uglier than yours!

Call me crazy, but I actually contacted the seller on that one - was thinking about buying it (bartering some tools I don't use anymore) and trying to fix it up to gain some repair experience.

After getting some higher res photos from different angles, I decided there are some things you just have to walk away from.

Looks like a Vulcan to me. As a Vulcan it wouldn't be a good candidate for repair

I have a vulcan in *much* worse condition than that! The face is gone over 2/3's of it and it is ridge backed with deep cuts in it and the horn has been broken off to boot. It was given to me to go on my "wall of shame" of abused anvils.

Of course the one that qualifies for most abused on that wall is just the base of an anvil---weight stamped to show that it *was* a complete anvil at one time and now missing the entire top half---just a base that has been hammered on.

Humble looking anvil, but if that's wrought iron, it would be a cheap recycle into other objects if you could cut it up.

On second thought... we don't kick out ugly dogs, do we? It might serve a purpose being an example of how not to treat an anvil....

Here are some bigger pics from the seller for anyone considering buying it.

MAN,those pics will either cure ya(from buyin` it)or kill ya!
One has to wonder what you`d have to do to make an anvil look like that.I`ve seen things dragged out of the bilge of old ocean going tugboats that don`t look that bad. :o

MAN,those pics will either cure ya(from buyin` it)or kill ya!
One has to wonder what you`d have to do to make an anvil look like that.I`ve seen things dragged out of the bilge of old ocean going tugboats that don`t look that bad. :o

300lb bubba swinging a 12 lb hammer on cold iron comes to mind Bob. We old yankees know better.
Ken.

If it is wrought iron or cast steel something can be done with it.

I suppose it could be reworked if cast iron. Welding to build up is not very effective though.

It looks like there is a thin steel face on it of some type, and is separating by the heel.
Phil

Vulcans are cast iron bodied with *thin* steel face and were bottom tier anvils just above cast iron ASOs IMNSHO often seen in school shops and often showing signs of abuse.

They are a quiet anvil and so if you can find one in decent shape at an appropriate price are a good urban and suburban shop anvil. Personally I would not pay half as much for a Vulcan as I would for a Fisher in the same size and condition!

If I can talk my wife into it I;ll try to bring a couple of my wall of shame anvils to Quad-State---Anyone else up for an anvil abuse exhibition? (I can ask SOFA about exhibit space...)