I Forge Iron

My anvil is uglier than yours!

Unfortunatrly that looks a *lot* better than the noseless one I have---the edges are broken back on it till they almost meet in the center and the front half doesn't have any face on it at all *and* with chopping into it.

I'll try to bring it to Quad-State

Looks a lot like my 1828 William Foster---though it has more of the face left than my WF (which is missing the heel as well)

I picked up my WF at a fleamarket in Columbus OH for US$5 just to get the piece of 1828 steel on it and then to have a WI base to try an old style re-facing. (What I suggested SOFA demo and then they did at a QS I was not able to attend---ARGHHH)

lol,this is an ichabod crane anvil My link

But that anvil is still more than useable ... looks to be pretty big too considering the stuff in the background for scale.
You don't have to have a horn to work steel.

The other anvils people posted were UGLY AND USELESS pieces of scrap that their deluded owners actually thought they could get money for.

This one unfortunately falls under the category of perfectly useful but weird-looking.

Anyone know what they were asking for it?

OH ... $100.00 ... didn't scroll all the way up the last time.
I don't think that's a bad deal for a perfectly serviceable anvil.
Anyone know someone in Rhode Island looking for an anvil? Edited by Sam Falzone

That's a dandy anvil and still very usable and also it's just missing it's nose. I have one where the bottom half has lost the top half---I know it was a complete anvil at one time as the weight stamps are still on it.

My Loaner anvil is about 100+# and has lost the heel; but the face is still great and the horn is usable. It was lent to new students to use while they acquire their own set up and was outside under the tree when I lived in the city and wanted an anvil I didn't have to move all the time---wasn't stolen as a "damaged" anvil has little value---I paid US$40 for it from a Farrier and think it works out to about 33 cents a pound...

• 2 weeks later...

that anvil wouldn't even make a good boat anchor, it would scare away the catfish!

Call me crazy, but I actually contacted the seller on that one - was thinking about buying it (bartering some tools I don't use anymore) and trying to fix it up to gain some repair experience.

After getting some higher res photos from different angles, I decided there are some things you just have to walk away from.

while it's been damaged the face is very nice indeed and the horn is quite usable and the price is not bad either.

Not horrific! Now if the face had delaminated and fallen off when the heel was broken and the horn had been torched a bunch *then* it would be horrific.

As it stands I'd be happy to suggest that one to a starting smith! (looks rather mousehole-ish to me)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like an oldie with the small horn and the face was definitely a multi piece weld up.

However it's still a good usable anvil! The face that's left is flat and right over the sweet spot and the horn is still usable.

Another good beginners or travel anvil for a reasonable price.

If I drive my pick-up to Quad-State I'll take along some really damaged anvils to display---one is missing not only the face but everything above the waist! Another had the horn broken off and is ridgebacked and mostly faceless to boot and then there is the 1828 William Foster that is missing 90% of the face and the entire heel.

"235 lb Blacksmith Anvil. Been in a covered barn area. $500.00 obo. Similar sizes selling for $900-$1,000."

with the tail broken off at the hardy? A new anvil right from the store may be getting those prices but an abused old anvil---I think this guy had mistaken the price some folks are asking with the price that anvils are actually selling for!

• 2 weeks later...

Are we talking real anvils or homebrew anvils. I've got a chunk of rail road track that's been in a shed for probably 20 years. The "horn" looks like it was cut with a torch.

I'm planning on taking it down the road to a small machine shop and have them mill the top flat & clean. I'll post up some pics if anyone wants to see.

Postman gave a tentative identification of my anvil that it missing everything from the waist up: he said it looked to be a peter wright and the one I have missing the heel was a Powell.

While I was at Quad-State there was a local CL listing for a Fisher with broken heel and badly abused sides---heading toward ridge back! They only wanted the same per pound than the near perfect peter wright I bought in the same general area off CL a couple of month's ago...

• 2 weeks later...