I Forge Iron

What size hammer do you use?

Glenn

What size hammer do your use most often?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What size hammer do your use most often?

• 454 g (1#)
    • 500 g (1.1#)
    • 800 g (1.76#)
    • 907 g (2#)
    • 1000 g (2.2#)
    • 1361 g (3#)
    • 1500 g (3.3#)
    • 1814 g (4#)
    • 2268 g (5#)
    • 2500 g (5.5#)

I use a pretty wide variety of hammers as well, I routinely draw clips on horse shoes with a little 8oz ball pien, its too light for the job but I like the pien. I just handled up a narrow faced straight pein hand sledge that is 5 or 6# Nice hammer for hand welding billets of patternwelded steel. My favorite 4# rounding hammer, and 2# ball pien both need new handles:-( so I have been using a 2# Tom Clark hammer, a 2# left and right diagonal pien hammer (which I made:-) and a 800gram swedish, and a chech pattern hammers. I don't use the heavy hammers as much as I used too... ;-) Older if not wiser;-)

I guess my hammer use depends on the day and whats up. For the large part, I use a 1 or a 2# in most applications ( and these are both made by Ironsurgeon ). Straight piens. I will use the 1# on larger stuff as a finish hammer and the 2# on 1/4 rod, just depends on the issue.

What more could a bloke want,
ta play with fire & hit things.
( Oh & drink BEER )

Chopper, that's why they invented the propane forge---you place your 5 gallon tank of propane in a washtub of water and turn up your forge for forge welding and it cools the beer you put in the tub to a nice drinkable temp on a hot day.

Thomas

• 6 years later...

My main hammer is a 3# cross pein that I bought years ago.  I'd love to try a hammer in the 4-5 pound range, but have yet to find one.  The 4# sledge that I have really moves metal, but the plastic handle is extremely thin and uncomfortable.  One of these days I'll get one of those fancy rounding hammers!

I had been using a 2lb "Brian Brazeal" rounding hammer that Dave Custer and I had forged last year (I think it was that long ago   :blink: ), but now I'm about to step up to a 3LB 11 oz hammer that we made a few weeks ago.  B)

Depends on which forge I'm working at. For my shoeing rig (where I work most often I have a 2# Asian cross pein. I've just gotten used to it for hot and cold work on shoes. A 2# each rounding and ball pein round out the hammers in the truck.
As for the shop, 4# rounding hammer (started life as a double headed so its lost a few oz.) ocompanied by a 4# cross pein, and 3# each cross, rounding, and ball. And the family favorite (not 14# strait pein)

I ususally use a 2 lb. 10 oz. (1306g) (includes the weight of the handle) rounding hammer which I've always known as a farrier's hammer.  I picked it up years ago along with some other old tools for a few bucks at a ranch auction.  If I'm whacking on anything bigger than about 3/8-1/2" I'll move up in size to around 3.5-4 pounds.  Bigger than that I go to my treadle hammer or get my son as a striker.

Impactingly,

George M.

Doing more hardware than big ironwork, I mostly use my 2 1/2 pound Channellock cross peen.  I used the 3 pound one for years, and then switched a few years ago.  I made a 4 1/2 pound cross peen from an 18 wheeler axle, and I will use it on occasion when I need to whale on a piece. I have many other hammers: rounding, cat's head, japanese, etc.

I routinely use a 2 lbs Hofi style followed, by a 2 lbs czech (knock off) converted into a rounding/cross pein, followed by a 3 lbs Hofi a ball pein and a larger sledge. I figure after Brian's class I'll sooner or later make myself a 2.5 lbs one, with the intention of seeing about going to that for the most part. For the most part I don't need anything bigger then the 2-3 lbs I usually use and if I do I can look for a striker, lol.