I Forge Iron

Muting an anvil

You can wrap chain around the waist, stick a magnet under the heel, put various cushions under it like lead sheet, rubber, felt, wood, etc.

I morticed my terribly LOUD Soderfors into a green spruce block and let it shrink onto it, which did the trick nicely.

It's been talked about a lot but I don't recall thread titles. Maybe search under the "Anvil" section with search terms like. Quieting or deadening an anvil or ring, etc. I'm sure someone with a better memory will post a link to one of the threads soon.

Frosty

Paint the face white and the base with black, and white stripes---oh wait , that is for Mime-ing an anvil not muting :rolleyes:

A large speaker magnet under the heel works nice, a pair of vise grips clamped onto the heel, buy a Fisher brand anvil, JPH hangs a heavy weight off of the horn with a strap to deaden the ring.

putting that silicone caulking underneath the anvil is one of the better tricks...then solidly strapping it down to the stump....
- the silicone just deadens the ring and isn't to hold it..
- heard that trick from Alan L and it worked to cut down the noisy from my 125lb pw... it rang like a super high ting ting...:(
- now its a pleasure to work on ...and its post goes bout 2.5 feet under ground....

tried all the other remedies... and thats about the only good i can say about them..

Greg;)

There are a bunch of threads on the subject.

The bottom line is to stop the vibration that creates the ring. In addition to the above, strapping or fixing the anvil to the base helps, as does using Sikeflex or silicone adhesives between the anvil and the base. Bedding the anvil in a couple inches of sands works well to deaden the ring.

.... In the case of the magnet it seems to be a more complex mechanism, it rebounds against the anvil's vibrations slightly out of phase?

Actually, what I think is happening is that the vibrations caused by the hammering is translated into vibration of the magnet instead of vibration of the air; vibration of the air also referred to as sound.

Hopefully someone else here can explain it better. :D

The magnet is easy to do since all that is required is a large magnet(s), and placing it under the heel which out of the way. I used old speaker magnets--free.

If you have ever watched a shop turn brake drums / rotors they will wrap a rubber strap around them to deaden the vibration from cutting that can cause chatter. Same thing here.

I just use ear plugs.:)

I don't like even the noise made while hammering a nail, so I where ear plugs often. Just one good whack can create enough noise that my ears ring, and kind of go dead, like they pressurize or something. My wife says I shouldn't carry on like that, though when I hit my thumbnail. ;)

Edited by TimB

The silicone bed really works well. Also the more the stand and the anvil are one the less ring you will have as you'll increase the overall combined mass. So the more clamped down, bolted, tightened, etc the anvil is to the anvil stand the more you'll transfer that ring through the whole body and thus diminish it.

• 1 month later...

What the magnet does is convert the thin flexible heel of the anvil into a much more massive, less moveable mass. An anvil is a tuning fork, basically. Increase the mass of the fork tangs, you lower the ring frequency, or even just deaden the vibrations altogether. My problem is I have yet to find a strong enough magnet that will not fall off when I'm hammering anywhere near the heel end. Heavy chain around the anvil's waist hasn't made that much difference. I have seen a 1/4 inch layer of silicone sheet on top of the anvil stand, under the anvil, work really well.
I'm going to try the vise-grip trick I just read a few messages back. Makes sense it would deaden the ring.
TTFN
chad

I bought five cow magnets on eBay, $3 each, free shipping. I had already siliconed the anvil to the base. The silicon knocked most of it out. I am not sure the magnets are doing much other than catching scale.

Siliconing should be more than enough. My instructor siliconed his to a tree stump some 20 years ago, and it is still stuck such that he does not have any other fixturing. I think it does double duty.

-Doug

My anvil base is a 1-1/2 thick plate. I traced an outline of the anvil, put down a good layer of silicon and let it mostly harden. I set the anvil on it and let it cure. I then took a 1/2"x1-1/2" bar and set it across the feet on each side and bolted it very tightly to the plate. I should add that my 250 pound Hay-Budden rang like a bell till I took this route. I also used this on my 250lb Fontanini.
Mark Emig

Ya, it may not work as well as more elaborate schemes but like the bolt in the pritchel hole you can just take a length, perhaps 10 inches, of 3/8 rod and bend it into a U shape and place it so one end is in the pritchel hole and the other hanging over the edge of the anvil - it'll take a big bite out of the ring and it's simple.

I do not believe that adding a magnet decreases the ring by increasing the mass. I believe that it acts as a damper by having an incomplete interface with the steel of the anvil and so resonate soundwaves get damped out. Why a fairly light bolt in the pritchel also works.

Well said, the resonant wave being distributed through the anvil is changed or upset by being distributed into an attached piece which cannot make the same harmonic given that it is not secured. So the end effect is dampening, that being the anvil losing it's harmonic because the magnet is acting like an acoustic parasite. I guess if you hooked up a lot of acoustic equipment you could actually see exactly how it works. It is kind of odd and interesting that it does actually work at all. I guess at first glance, to the layman, attaching things like chains and magnets would make one think that you will make the overall sound that much noisier.

However I do think sand in the legs does indeed decrease some of the ring/sound by increasing the mass. But of course it also acts as a dampener because sand cannot match the same harmonic that the anvil/stand structure can produce.

Can't you also heat things by transferring sounds harmonics through them? I wonder if the anvil ring generates any heat through harmonic friction, even if it's extremely negligible? Edited by Avadon

Can't you also heat things by transferring sounds harmonics through them? I wonder if the anvil ring generates any heat through harmonic friction, even if it's extremely negligible?

Heat is just movement of molecules. It can be calculated as the average velocity of molecules in an object. As sound energy is dampened out, the molecules in the dampening material move faster, but randomly, creating heat that can be measure with a thermometer. Steel has little dampening, but sand has more dampening. I doubt you can measure the heat generated by the sound energy as the heat conducted away from your work will be much greater, probably by many orders of magnitude.

Phil