I Forge Iron

Just Curious...How many have gotten a Tetanus Shot?

cbl4823

Last time I had one was about 5 years back. Not sure if they repeated the process in the military two years ago (they gave us 6 in each arm at the same time. Kinda hard to just assume one is one).

Any particular reason the question was brought up though?

yeah i got mine up to date its best if your always cutting yourself ( i am annoyingly) doesnt it help for dog bites too or maybe i imagined that... not an everyday hazard for a blacksmith anyway...:)

As a blacksmith my Dr gives me the Tetanus shot on an "every 5 years basis"; for "normal" folk it's every 10 years. I figure he must think I work with horses as that's a danger factor; but since I do work with a lot of farm scrap I'm not amiss to being a tad more careful. Tetanus is a *bad* way to die!

Most folk don't have that much in the way of exposure these days---but everyone who blacksmiths and has cut/scratched themselves on rusty metal in the past year raise your hands!

I thought so....

Can I put my hand down now? My arm's getting tired. :D Four years ago I went into the hospital for a few days. They had no clue what they were battling when I got there, so I got every shot under the sun. Still it wouldn't hurt to make sure that one of those shots was a tetanus shot.

I know I've had one in the past ten years. It was one of those "Have you had a tetanus shot lately?" while they insert the needle, "Never mind, you have now." sort of things.

Edited by Ecart
correction

The last time that I had one, about ten years ago, the nurse told me, through her tears of laughter, that after having so many jabs (10-12 in 40 years) I would be permanently immune and not to worry about it.
She was laughing because I'd been bitten by a squirrel.

Sam,
So you need one for a squirrel bite! It didn't quite draw blood. But had a nasty bruise (I had gloves on so don't ask). I was thinking rabies, my wife said no blood no worry. I guess she was right. I'm still here.
Back to the thread,
Thanks for the reminder about a tetanus shot.
Billy

This is a good reminder for me, I had one as a requirement when I started my degree in Silversmithing and Metalwork, that was in 1999, so I guess I'm due! (has it really been 10 years!!!???) Better call the doctor on Monday!

Hey, don't blink, it'll be 20. I blinked and it was 20 years ago this past Monday that I joined the US Army. I demanded a recount, but still lost. :rolleyes:

Most people think that tetanus comes from being cut by rusty metal, stepping on a rusty nail or that kind of thing. We were all told that as a child to fear rusty metal because of tetanus. But that is really a misnomer I found out when I got a metal spark/shaving in my eye. A further testament to wear a face shield (I WAS wearing safety glasses).

Tetanus is caused by a type of bacteria called Clostridium tetani that usually live in soil. The bacteria produce a toxin (a chemical or poison that harms the body). This toxin attaches to nerves around a wound area and is carried inside the nerves to the brain or spinal cord. There it interferes with the normal activity of nerves, especially the motor nerves that send direct messages to our muscles. Tetanus is not contagious

Years ago, at an old job of mine, I would routinely splice old wire that was lubricated with used engine oil from our equipment. It was a terrible grungy mess and I couldn't manage to do a splice without scratching myself at least once. I don't think I ever had a shot during that time.

Since being married my wife keeps on top of these things. Which reminds me....I seem to remember reading something about married men typically living longer than bachelors. The important question is if this is because there's someone looking out for husbands or some kind of testosterone drop!

I remember getting one as a child. I didn't suspect a thing. A nurse painted an iodine rabbit on my arm then a needle suddenly appeared that was used to "feed" said rabbit. What a dirty trick.

This site says..

"The researchers speculated that married men live longer because they adopt healthier lifestyles and take fewer risks. Married woman, on the other hand, probably live longer because of the improved financial well-being that comes with marriage."

but i'm not sure there's all that much fact or science behind this yet.

Never had one, don't think I need one. Never met anyone with tetanus. Stepped on nails, cut with knives, needles, sharp rusty iron, bittin by dogs(in the face, hand, leg) 3x times. Never needed one. They had blacksmiths 100 years ago... didn't ever read how they all died of it. Right now would be a good time to do some reading on the net about vaccinations.

Short Swing: Ask you doctor....metalwork is your area and health is his. They had blacksmiths 100 years ago....and what was the average life expectancy then? 50?

Also: I see in your profile that your location is God's Country, Montana.....that's funny...I thought that everybody knew that God's Country is Vancouver Island.