I Forge Iron

hands dirty and cant clean please help

antigoth24

today i was out of coal so resorted to using some charcoal just to finish a project so my hands were black obviously but before i washed up i wrapped a handle with some twine and gorilla glued it and of course my hands were sticky so i used some nail polish remover to get rid of the stickiness but now the black wont come off from most of both my hands but it doesnt leave a residue on anything and ive tried all kinds of soaps and oils etc but anyone know what i could do to get my hands clean?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorillia glue is not good stuff to get on your hands. None of the common household solvents will touch it. You might try "Goof off" which is a latex and non-alkyd paint remover.

I've discovered that I cann't use it in Lousiana's humid and hot climatet. It kicks before you can get all the clamps on for large projects.

I have a 10in wire wheel on a 2 hp grinder you can borrow will make the fingers boney
white. Soft white hands say one thing Hard black hands say another. That gorilla glue is as bad as old grease mixed with old rotilla oil from the tractor. Will wear off in about 2 weeks.(Grin)
Ken

I only used polyurethane glue once or twice because of the mess. After a big glue-up of a plywood carcass, my hands were stained and where it dried on my shirt it cracked and left a hole. I'm partial to PVA (yellow) glue for most woodworking, and sometimes epoxy. At least the epoxy can wipe off skin with acetone, though that is nasty stuff.

Make a meatloaf.

Yer killin me Mike!

Now I just have to remember to never eat your meatloaf.

The acetone will act as a transdermal and carry dirt into your hide which is what probably happened to you. WD-40 will too, you have to be VERY careful using these things to clean your hands because if you have something toxic on them it'll get carried right into your body. This is a BAD thing.

Next time you're going to be handling things that can stain wear the blue or purple nitrile rubber gloves. They give you good feel and are pretty proof against solvents, best of all they keep the dirt off.

Frosty

a transdermal... WD40... clean your hands because if you have something toxic on them it'll get carried right into your body. This is a BAD thing.

:o now I didn't know that! Although I would never use WD40, and certainly not acetone directly as a skin cleanser, I can think of several occasions where I may have been been in contact with toxic things then got WD40 on my hands as part and parcel of what I am doing. Cleaning engines for example.

I will remember this.

Anyway, I would rather have a few stains on my hands, than pour chemicals all over them. You could try some sand in whatever soap your normally use - buts its going to take off you hard earned callouses. Edited by Bob JS