I Forge Iron

Forge weld flux

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends on if you are welding up billets for pattern welding and using higher alloy steels in them; or if you are doing "drop the tongs welds" on regular items.

If you are billet welding with chrome or Ni steels you may need a much more aggressive flux and you don't want ones with iron filings in them.

If you are just doing regular welding then adding boric acid to your borax may help.

I use a mixture of boric acid and iron oxide 1:1 by weight which costs me $10 for 5 lbs of each ingredient, plus $12 for shipping from Continental Clay Co, in minneapolis. Gave 5 lbs to our local group, Max Carey Blacksmith Guild, for use in our classes. Works good. I do not think scale is the same as iron oxide because this stuff is red and scale is black. The difference lies in the valence state of the iron.(I think)

I think mud dauber's nests was mentioned in "The Fox Fire Book" vol 5 (6?) one on ironworking.

Clean quartz sand was a traditional flux for real wrought iron.

There is a point where borax has done all it can and get's "crusty" and needs to be removed and fresh stuff added.

Black crap oozing from inside of cable can be tar/oil/grease/plastic used inside cables.

Dr Hrisoulas once published this flux recipe---he calls it "steelglue"
"Flux mix is as follows:

5 parts anhydrous borax
2 parts powdered boric acid
1 part powdered iron oxide (the real STUFF NOT the concrete dyes)
1/2 part Flourspar
1/4 part sal ammoniac

This stuff sticks most anything together"

If you want colored flux, use iron oxide powder. It comes either red or black and can be purchased at pottery supply houses. It doesn't cost much and your flux is much prettier than plain old white or grey. It might even help. Some commercial flux contains it, especially flux used for gas forges, but I use it in my general all purpose flux. I don't know how much to use. Just mix until you feel good about it. If you don't care about pretty, you can forget it.

Have you got dirt dobbers in Australia? I have heard stories that the old blacksmiths would grab a dirt dobber nest and forge weld with it. I did a search on the web and found this statement.
Dirt Dobber nest with the larva removed and the rest crushed to almost a power.

3 "safe" choices in order of aggressiveness:
(least)
Silica sand (often sold as play sand)
Borax (20 mule at grocery store or anhydrous frit)
Boric acid, often sold as roach powder, or as a soak powder in the pharmacy, look up first since it has several commercial chemical names.
(more)

Those are your three "safest" choices. Check the MSDS on these chemicals (search google) and check the msds on several commercial fluxes too. You can mix 1-4 parts of a weaker with 1 part of a stronger for "better" results, or use straight. This is based on many common recipes.

A large number of smiths use borax (20 mule) and nothing else, it does foam a bit before wetting out since a lot of water is bound into the molecule and gets driven off.

You can also add "iron" or steel filings, and ground scale or iron oxide powder (available at pottery suppliers for mixing glazes). These additives are not desirable for pattern welding.

There are stronger and more aggressive fluxes but they also produce more toxic fumes. Unless you are welding stainless or nickle alloys you shouldn't need them, and you may not need them with proper preparation on those alloys.

Use the search box in the top bar to look for more threads on flux. This is a well discussed topic.

Phil

As far as borax goes in New Zealand. You can buy pentahydrate or decahydrate. Penta meaning 5 ppm (parts per molecule of water) , or deca meaning 10ppm. So the 5 is better as it has less water. You can buy these at certain chemical supply outfits. Should be the same in Aussie. Anhydrous (dried borax) seems pretty rare here, but was able to be ordered.
Jason

The neo-tribal smiths experimented with wood ash as a flux. It may be due to the silicates in it but seemed to work though better for higher temp welding.

I'd make a difference between what can work if you are *good* at welding and what helps if you are not...

As such dirt dauber's nests, ash, clean sand, powdered glass will work perhaps more to the exclusion of air when the silicates melt and so better for wrought iron and welding done at high temps

And borax, boric acid, fluourspar are more aggressive fluxes and so work better with alloy steels welding at lower temps.

I have a soft-spot for anhydrous borax - You can convert 20-Mule Team into it by melting it down, then grinding it up into a powder again. I used to do that when I was a student with lots of time on my hands...

Watch the Borax glass, it's sharp, and use a proper crucible for the melt - even if it looks tough, an enameled steel coffee-cup will last about 10 minutes with that molten acid in it...:(

Before finding these helpful advises, I went and bought some flux at a welding supply shop. I am however not sure if it is the right stuff. It seems to match the general criteria though. It is peterson fluxes no. 2 high heat flux. first ingredient is boric acid and it contains iron oxide. is this the right stuff or should i shelve the can and go get some 20 mule team borax?

• 4 weeks later...

There are smiths that do not use flux, none at all.
It depends on the way you learned to forge weld, and the materials being welded.

It may be worth while to research the reason behind WHY flux is used in the first place.
Anyone care to write up an article on flux, why it is used, it's function in a forge weld, and the different flux formulations?