I Forge Iron

Forge weld flux

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As a person who hasn't done any work in blacksmithing just as yet, I was lucky enough to finally aquire some railroad iron anvils, tongs and a Royal Western Cheif H blower. When speaking to the man who was retired from blacksmithing as a hobby, he told me that I should look into asking about using Borax as a forge welding flux. He said it protected the metal? I don't understand how to use it when forge welding, when I heard borax, is a soap?:confused:

20 Mule Team Borax is a laundry soap "additive" available at most grocery stores. I have used it with 'mixed' results. There are other better mixes. The borax acts as a flux to prevent oxidation, and keeps the metal clean for welding.

Search the forums for "forge welding" there are plenty of how to's on the site.

Edited by unkle spike

20 Mule Team Borax is a laundry soap available at most grocery stores. I have used it with 'mixed' results. There are other better mixes. The borax acts as a flux to prevent oxidation, and keeps the metal clean for welding.

Search the forums for "forge welding" there are plenty of how to's on the site.

in the green box its all borax and can be used as an additive to soap :)

Very infomative, thank you all for your knowledge on the matter!!!

I'm from Cashmere,Wa.

I figure that I will try to forge my wife a hunting knife for my first project,
and then try to make some good tools. Any suggestions on what tool I should start with as a starting point?

Very infomative, thank you all for your knowledge on the matter!!!

I'm from Cashmere,Wa.

I figure that I will try to forge my wife a hunting knife for my first project,
and then try to make some good tools. Any suggestions on what tool I should start with as a starting point?

As Steve said, a forged knife is not a good first project.

However, a ground out custom knife would require many of the same tools that would be be needed to make a forged knife. The big difference is you would not need many of the "hot work tools"
You will need a vice and usually the bigger the better. Files and so forth.

I recommend that you contact the good folks at nwkc.org (Northwest Knife Collectors Association). They are an organization that is devoted to promoting the making and collecting custom knives. They meet in Tacoma Washington. They will probably be able to put you in touch with someone that can help you through your project. Edited by Charlotte
add name

Welcome aboard, glad to have you.

Cashmere is really close to a number of superior blacksmiths and bladesmiths. If you haven't already, joining the NWBA will greatly enhance your learning experience. Making blades is a pretty advanced skill. . . Well, blades safe enough and attractive enough to want to give someone as a gift take skill and experience to make.

If you'll click "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location it can make a big difference. If local folk know you're there they can invite you to get togethers, tip you to tool deals and offer hands on help.

Frosty

I went and bought some 20 mule team borax, now I am removing any excess moisture from it. Am going to store it in a air tight container and have it when needed. Hopfully I will be ready to use it in a few months, as I need to work on skills and all. want to learn drawing out metal, so am practicing on old railroad spikes. Wish me luck!!! lol

hmm. funny that is strted this as it seems that other people have gotten more out of it! too bad all of th ewelds i have done have ntuck themselves. at least it was an attempt. i have to clean my pieces more. clean steel+welding heat+borax+a hammer+anvil+person to use said things= decent forge weld. :)

At room temp it does not do much for a smith. This is one problem with some of the things we use, the MSDS is made for normal usages, and they don't all include our high temperature effects on the item. We need to know both.

here is a good link about borax Borax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the Sodium Tetraborate Na2B4O7 is Anyhdrous Borax ...I just bought a gallon can (5 1b)for around $15 at Knife Making Supplies plus shipping
I'. point this out, as over the weekend, at the Madison conference, several merchanats were selling flux average price for a 1 lb can was $15 ...I was also told some mumbo-jumbo about having a chemist help in the formluation of their flux....every product has an MSDS label look at it it will tell you what is in the product.
some fluxes have iron filings added as a signal to you as when the metal is ready to weld (sparks).
also the Anhydrous Borax does not eat the floor of you gas forge the way regular Borax will

Edited by jimbob