I Forge Iron

Who inspires you?

• 3 weeks later...

When I finally found real blacksmiths (around 1992), I was like a dry sponge. I couldn't get enough. A subscription to ABANA opened the door to the realm. The skill......the artistry. I will always remember when I first saw the lamps by E. A. Chase, I couldn't believe that these masterpieces were not in the Louvre. It is remarkable that these are unknown to the public at large. He was my first true inspiration. After that I must say Cyril Colnik still draws me, when I see his masterpiece.
I went to Italy 2 years ago and got to go to the Carlo Rizzarda museum in Feltre, northern Italy. I was not impressed with what I had seen of his work in books, but when I got to see them in person. I couldn't get enough. My wife had to drag me out of there. We went back the next day, for another two hours. Absolutely unbelievable.
They all inspire me to do the best work that I am able to do. My satisfaction in life is using my hands to create what otherwise would not be. I thank all the smiths who went before. Metal magicians, all.

In the early 90's I went to the Museum of Appalachia Fall Homecoming, particularly to see Bill Monroe. While roaming the grounds, I heard a ringing sound and smelled coal smoke. I tracked the noise and smell down to a traveling forge and a smith in a Civil War cap. He was a friendly guy and willing to tell me what I wanted to know. This visit planted a seed that took another six or seven years to sprout, but when it did, I found this same gentleman as a regular on the old KeenJunk forum. Again, he continued to be very helpful, whether on the board or by email correspondence. He even mailed me (actually, my daughter) advance copies of a book he wrote. The thing is, I was one of dozens that he was helping and encouraging on this level. He loved the art & craft and wanted to see it passed on. His name was Jim Wilson. Most folks called him Paw Paw.

Don

A lot of great smiths have been mentioned already so I won't repeat them here. Someone I recently met and had the opportunity to talk with is my inspiration. Elmer Roush. His focus is toolmaking using traditional techniques.
Here are photos from the demo where I met him. In the first you can see dividers, axes, pliers and locks all recreated based on actual examples he has studied in museums around the world. The second are locks he makes. The bottom one is a 10th century Viking lock he created based on an actual example in a museum. The other is hand forged combination lock. I forget the era and location where the original was from but it is amazing!

Since I mostly do my blacksmithing at living history type events his ability to create these tools and items using only traditional means and the study he puts into understand and examining the originals are inspirational for me.

If you have not had a chance meet Elmer or visit his site I would highly recommend it.

Here is a link to his site.

ps. His beautiful and equally talented wife Lynda is also a blacksmith. She does architectural work and here is a link to her site.

12899.attach

12900.attach

• 6 months later...

Ill have to say if you want to consider Master Blacksmiths you need to include Frank Koralewsky of Boston 1872 - 1941
His wrought iron carving and repousse is beyond compare !
even Samuel Yellin looked up to him .Samuel and Franks work was shown together as a metalworkers exhibit in Detroit in 1911 for the Detroit society of arts and crafts his Work Can be seen at Harvard , Yale, Boston College
as well as many religous buildings around the USA He forged most of the iron at the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in New York city.
Samuel yellin and Frank work on many of the same buildings together
because many of the top architects of his day considered Sam and Frank the best .if you want to see some of his work go to flicker and type in Frank Koralewsky Snow White Lock or go to hammersmithstudio.com look under history
incidently im in the process of writing a book on him , but it is taking me forever to do the research, Cheers Carl Close jr Concord Ma

I am most influenced by Ivan Bailey and Jim Joyce. I have not heard from either of them for years. However, I am most moved by the obstacles that Ivan had to overcome in his life and his attention to detail. Jim Joyce in my opinion has an idea of art that speaks to my emotions the most. Not to the side of me that recognizes technical ability or following traditions. He is excellent at both of those also.

My idol in the craft is Jim Paw Paw Wilson. Simply because of the kind of person he was.
He was not defined by what he did for a living. Rather, he used blacksmithing as an extension to warm the hearts of other people.
I would also like to mention my Great Grandfar. He was one of the "token Catholics" at the Belfast shipyards. His lot there was not good yet he was able to feed his family by making each rivet fit just so.

I actually kind of stumbled into 'smithing last year when I decided to take a coarse at the local trade college for a chance to do something different. Even though a lot of the basic skills in 'smithing, I've used as a fabricator over the years. After I took the coarse I've been obsessed with forging and the artwork and skill involved. I am mostly drawn to the art of forging because a lot of it is a detatchment from the straight and square, measured angles I do as a job everyday. It's been a challenge for me to change my way of thinking and let the material move beyond the straight lines and defined angles to a more fluid organic unique shape. My earlier inspiration would be shawn cunningham, a master smith to be sure and an excellant teacher, and now all of you. As well everytime I see a forged piece I love examining it to figure out how it was made and to appreciate the work and skill that went into it.

I'd have to go with Dan Boone of Louisa Virginia. He hosts an event at his impeccable shop and home yearly. He is a 17th generation blacksmith dating back to Viking times, not to mention kin to the famous Daniel Boone himself ! Dan shares his talent graciously. His shop is so clean and organized it scares me. I've never seen anybody demonstrate and make blacksmithing look any easier than Dan. His son is a full time blacksmith out in Colorado and is a talented and respected and successful smith on his own. Hooks - Hand-forged Designer Bathroom Hardware
I am also inspired by the blacksmiths gone past. I live in the beautiful and historic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and there is no limit to seeing their work on barn doors, fences, gates etc. We go to a lot of old farm estate sales back in the mountains and seeing the tools (and often the smithy's) in the off the beaten path hollows show you why the smith was so valuable to the community. I wish all my hammers, vises and anvils could talk because I'm sure they would have some tales.

I am inspired by all that have been mentioned, but one that I have not seen is Alex Bealer. My first blacksmith book The Art of Blacksmithing is truly a fine read and explains a lot of the origins and history of the art. There are also alot of great guys in the Athens Forge of Alabama Forge Council that I respect alot and it is their works that I see the most in person and they always inspire me to become better.

• 3 weeks later...

eddy martiz who was my instructor in farrier school and always would help me forge shoes and other peices......we forged almost anything we could and we had anice shop.......after class everybody left to go party and i stayed with another fellow named john luse and we had a blast and learned alot of forgeing skill!.............and billy cruthers from wales a true master

Alexander Weygers, Samuel Yellin, Tom Joyce, Claudio Botero, Pavel Zlatos, Daniel Miller, Havard Bergland, Brian Russell, Lee Saunders & Skip Williams, Jock Dempsey, Bruce Wilcock, ... the last three mainly for "crazy projects" :-)
There's a few eastern European blacksmiths whose names I ignore, but who make great works.
Last but not least Philip Vercammen. My teacher, whose encouragement makes you try things you wouldn't have dreamt of trying.

• 2 years later...

Joe is my idol. I try everything he tries, sometimes I think he does stuff just to show people that young people can do the same things that more experienced people can do it just might take us a little longer. That is why i admire him. I also admire all the other people on this site they are also very helpful. (sometimes it is kinda nice to have those more experienced people)