I Forge Iron

warming anvils

samw1

I put a piece of steel plate in my gas forge and let it heat up while the forge heats up. when the plate is orange, I just lay it on my anvil face. I have also found that leaving a piece of thin plate (1/4 inch or so) in the forge helps heat pieces faster. at least it seems that way.

there are several ways people do it some heat thick blocks of steel and set them on the anvil to warm some use a magnetic block heater (for trucks in the winter ) the one i have is a kats 1500 watt also it a good idea to warm them as i have heard of and seen the aftermath some of the older anvil were they have the heel broken in the cold wether when struck cold i beleave its happens mostly with the cast ones but not sure

The *best* way is to heat your smithy so the anvil doesn't get cold.

Now there are a lot of good ways depending on your setup; Some folks like to use an old electric iron or two to warm up the anvil. When I worked with the swordmaker we would hang paint cans from the heel and horn of his 400# anvil and build small wood fires in them to warm it up. Some people take the anvil inside the house and only bring it out when they will be working.

I'll use either my propane weed burner or heat heavy pieces in the forge and lay them on the face. I would much prefer heated building though.

I can just imagine Deb's reaction to bringing one of the anvils into the house on a cold night. I'd probably get to share a blanket with it. I kind of doubt the blind border collie would enjoy his game of fetch as much is one of the surprise obstacles in his path were an anvil.

The magnetic engine heaters I have don't do much for the anvils but they do help keep the propane from freezing up. Normally it isn't an issue with a 100lb tank but it gets pretty cold here and doesn't take much evaporation to kick it over the edge.

Frosty

I built a box from half inch foil covered insulation board large enough to slip down over my anvil and stump with plenty of room to spare. I then wired two porcelain light fixtures which now hold 100 watt bulbs.

This set-up works great to gently and evenly heat the anvil and anything else in the box - anvil tools, hammers, lunch whatever. I turn it on in the early morning when I let the dogs out and it can get the anvil to 50 degress F in a couple hours and much much warmer given more time.

I'll try to post some photos tonight if anyone is interested.

Woodeye

This shows just how mild our climate is. Heating the anvil is not really needed here except for working on really fine articles. Then a bit of plate in the fire and put on the anvil works.

On the other hand its odd that in my other hobby, astronomy, we spend lots of time chilling our gear :)

So far I like the "heat the building it in" the best...

Some day I'll have a building, then I'll get to see what its like to work inside!! AAhhh warm pleasant dreams those are!

During the winter I heat a 1/2 x4x6" plate to orange and lay it on the face while I finish laying out tools and stock for the day repeat after lunch time.

Looking at a copy of a 1908 Sears catalogue last night – they sold various forging equipment – they warned of drawing the temper from a steel anvil face by laying a hot piece of steel on it. Made me wonder if a lot of the old wrought & steeled anvils may be softer now than when they were new because of years of heating from all the hot steel in contact. OTOH, you would have to be working some big pieces to actually get something that massive up to tempering heat, and you would see the face change color!

Sorry for the hijack.

I built a wooden box lined with that foil covered foam insulation that fits over the anvil with about 4 inches of air space all of the way around. I also cut out two pieces of plywood that fit around the base of the anvil and covered them with the same foam insulation. I have a 60 watt ceramic reptile heat emitter that I mounted through a hole in the top of the box to point down on the face of the anvil.
Check them out here Heat Emitters. it draws only a little more power then a 60 watt light bulb.
It keeps my anvil warm not hot and last year in my shop (unheated) I had temps at -15 degrees
My shop is in the woods in a low spot and in the winter it does not get sun until around 1:00 pm. Lets put it this way this time of year I hang deer and game in my shop and they keep as if in a meat locker.

• 4 weeks later...