I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'Day Davs , firstly welcome to the site .

Smith's in Victoria / New South Wales .

Theres this lot in Victoria Australian Blacksmiths Association (Vic) Inc. - Welcome & a heap of us " hobbists " down here too :) Your welcome ta drop by here anytime too

New South Wales , is 2 i'd get in contact with .. MOONY ( aka ) Glenn Moon http://www.springandhammersmith.com.au ( or PM him via the site ) ..

Then there is Forgemaster ( aka ) Phil ( sorry bloke , don't know your last name :) ) Richmond Vale Steam Forge - We're Forging Ahead ( You can PM Phil via the site too )
A lot of hobbist smiths up there too ( goin' by the amount that lobbed to MOONY'S this yr )

Matt , what do you want me ta say ? It's Queensland remember ... :)

Dale Russell

Edited by Dale Russell
Forgot something

Just to clear up for every one; there is the ABA Vic group based at the Melbourne suburb of Bundoora and the Mont De Lancey group whose base is the historic homestead of that name at Wandin.
In Sydney (my current neck of the woods) i'd recommend visiting the Sydney Institute T.A.F.E. college. They have a workshop for training smiths- building O ground floor on the corner of Wattle st and Thomas st, Ultimo. Many and diverse types congregate there.
However, classes won't be back until Feb. 2010.

My other favorite for planning visits in strange places is the Yellow Pages online. In Australia look under 'wrought iron' 'blacksmiths' and 'forgings'.
Once you scratch the surface there are lots out there...just search this site.
AndrewOC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I am Dougal from SS Coast. I am retired and fiddle in my shed were I repair and make things. Currently I am working on a wheel barrow 12 volt spray unit for our farm. It has to be narrow to fit down our walking tracks. Nearly finished and hope to have operational before the weeds start growing... If I can work out how to send photographs I will post.

• 2 weeks later...

G'Day Jason & Dougal ( sorry i miss your post )

Firstly , welcome to the site

Dougal , don't youse just love gettin' ta " play " in the shed ... :)

Jason , NZ , well ...... :) Ok , youse is in the southern hemiphere , why not a Kiwi in with this lot too .

Dale Russell

Merry Christmas from NZ you Aussies!!!! If any of you decide to venture across the ditch for a look, and are heading through the lower north island, let me know. Call in for a cuppa or a beer. Take care.

Jason

same to you blokes and blokette type blacksmiffing, jandle wearing, chilli bin toting bunch..... and hivve a hippy niew yeer..

• 5 weeks later...

G'Day John , welcome to the site

Another AUSSIE :)

Peel River Artist Blacksmith group , you got a link to the group website we can look at bloke ?

Tamworth , your close enough for this at the end of October , this yrs will be the 3 rd of hopefully many .

Dale Russell

HI all.....Have any of you Aussie blacksmiths ever have any thing to do with the anvils from the Doug Slack Foundry at Emerald Queensland ....I have attached a photo plus the anvil specification sheet that they emailed me , the specification is the one with the asterisk ....coments on the material specification would be appreciated

thanks
regards mikeAnvil Material Specification.pdf post-8121-12649981579008_thumb.jpg

G.day Calala, and welcome to IFI. You guys must be the ones my in-laws told me about seeing on their way back from Tamworth this year.

Mike, not personally but there is a member of Laventrix who bought one & seems pleased with it (although he hasn't posted recently so no update). He did say that they arrive as cast & so need some finishing. They seem a pretty good price, especially when compared to the price of anvils on fleabay.

G'Day Mike, Not sure if this helps but on reading the material specs you posted I noticed the Australian Standard they had listed in the end column, so I did some research and found it is a standard pertaining to cast steel.According to a chart I found on another website AS2074 L6B is a reasonably hard cast steel http://www.grahamcampbell.com.au/MaterialsCS.html . It might pay to give the foundry another call to see if they elaborate on the process they use to make their anvils and whether they harden the face at all.

Cheers
Ian

P.S probably check on the dimensions and weight too, let us know how you go.