I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

I think you mean "bauble" mate, however don't post any personal info. you don't know how many unsavoury people watch these threads.
cheers John.

Well, maybe that's how YOU spell it! :blink: :blink:

OK, you're right, my bad. Sheesh, an Aussie correcting my spelling, what's the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Well, if someone would like to have some fun with this, I just thought someone could drop by her office, be a hoot, er?

You ave "unsavory people" down there too?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unsavoury types?

There's naught but escaped convicts, vagabonds, and neer do wells in this ear brown land,
(i'm not too sure which one I am though)
Although there seems to be more of them near Braidwood though.

Cheers
Phil

G'Day Mike, Not sure if this helps but on reading the material specs you posted I noticed the Australian Standard they had listed in the end column, so I did some research and found it is a standard pertaining to cast steel.According to a chart I found on another website AS2074 L6B is a reasonably hard cast steel http://www.grahamcam...aterialsCS.html . It might pay to give the foundry another call to see if they elaborate on the process they use to make their anvils and whether they harden the face at all.

Cheers
Ian

P.S probably check on the dimensions and weight too, let us know how you go.

iI asked them via email if they harden the face below is there answer

the face is not flame hardened but the overall anvil is heat treated to around 320 BHN.

.....what is 320 BHN

there prices are 97kg - $550.00 including gst 43kg - $236.50 incl 12kg - $132.00 incl

Well, maybe that's how YOU spell it! :blink: :blink:

OK, you're right, my bad. Sheesh, an Aussie correcting my spelling, what's the world coming to? :rolleyes:

Well, if someone would like to have some fun with this, I just thought someone could drop by her office, be a hoot, er?

You ave "unsavory people" down there too?

mate... pm me the office address and name, and i will organize some flowers and a bauble as a welcome to australia from ....here?...us?...mike from abaqld?

mike from brisbane.

Dale we don't have a web site as yet but its on the improvement list for this year, I will see the group about getting hammered.post-1936-12650052909933_thumb.jpg This is our logo.
post-1936-12649835445933_thumb.jpgThis is a photo of our home.

i saw the tamworth thing.....ill shout you a page or two, to get you going on the blacksmiths-australia.com site if you like. (free by the way) Send some pics and text and ill whip up a layout, and its yours.

regards mike

G'day All
Mat here from Brisbane. Hobby Smith and Collecting ready for Hobby Smithing (Mr Time-Poor). Did a few courses with Alan Ball @ Logan Village over the past few years. Have a young family, hoping to have the time to meet up with the guys at Eagle Farm in the very near future.

G'day All
Mat here from Brisbane. Hobby Smith and Collecting ready for Hobby Smithing (Mr Time-Poor). Did a few courses with Alan Ball @ Logan Village over the past few years. Have a young family, hoping to have the time to meet up with the guys at Eagle Farm in the very near future.

welcome to come along to eagle farm. see you there if you can make it.

G'Day Mat , Firstly , welcome to the site

Second , remember ta ave lunch sittin' next ta you when you start lookin' around the site :)

Third , This in April ( u'll need ta get in FAST for this , very limited places )

Forth , End of October

Dale Russell

P.S .. where are all these Banana Benders comin' from? Come on the rest of OZ , we's bein' taken over by Queenslanders :rolleyes:

You guys are great!

Have offers from Double_edge2 and from calala to do something for my daughter in Sydney. Neither is very close to Sydney, but that ain't stopping 'em! From this little forum we end up with friends around the world, ready to do no small favor. Is that cool or what? I take back everything I ever said about yous guys! :P :P

Beers on me!

Grant , if you miss her too much & decided you wanna visit her, October is the best time . smile.gif

And while your in Sydney you could even pop down to Braidwood for http://www.iforgeiro...__fromsearch__1

October 29 th , 30 th & 31 st ..... 3 rd annual " Get HAMMERED "

We need another international ( Richard Thibeau first yr / Ian Lowe second yr )

Just an idea mate rolleyes.gif

Dale Russell

So are you saying its not hard enough

320 HBN is plenty hard enough for a hit n Giggle blacksmiths anvil. We forge gear blanks out of 4140 and heat treat them to 277-311 HBN. We aim for 302 HBN which is denoted as a 3.65mm dia impression with our Brinell Machine. That is a brinell machine has a 10mm dia tungsten steel ball that has a load of 3000KG applied to it for 15 seconds. The load is removed and you read the dia of the impression with a brinell microscope (it has a scale across the lens). 320HBN is denoted by an indentation of 3.40mm dia from a 10mm ball with 3000KG load for 15 seconds, to give you an idea. So unless you are going to forge ball bearings cold on it using a 3 ton hammer it should be good. (HBN or BHN stands for hardness brinell number)

Cheers
Phil

Hey Grant

Don't let Dale pull you into his kind of fight here, we're talking about a powerfull mess O beer here, n is'nt Obama trying to get you blokes to cut down on spending. Don't agree to something that will send the Oll USA broke here now Grant.

Phil

320 HBN is plenty hard enough for a hit n Giggle blacksmiths anvil. We forge gear blanks out of 4140 and heat treat them to 277-311 HBN. We aim for 302 HBN which is denoted as a 3.65mm dia impression with our Brinell Machine. That is a brinell machine has a 10mm dia tungsten steel ball that has a load of 3000KG applied to it for 15 seconds. The load is removed and you read the dia of the impression with a brinell microscope (it has a scale across the lens). 320HBN is denoted by an indentation of 3.40mm dia from a 10mm ball with 3000KG load for 15 seconds, to give you an idea. So unless you are going to forge ball bearings cold on it using a 3 ton hammer it should be good. (HBN or BHN stands for hardness brinell number)

Cheers
Phil

Thanks Phil that sure answers my question

Phil, I was hoping you might throw your two bobs worth in, thanks for your answer.

Mike,thanks for posting the info about the anvils.

Grant, PM me your daughter's details, I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Sydney, we don't go there often but I should be able to post her something

Cheers Ian

Phil, as our economy is based on "consumerism", the gummit must curtail spending, we, on the other hand, have a National duty to consume! And what better product to consume than beer? Once used it can't be resold, so you must buy more. unfortunatly, due to our negative balance-of-payments, I must buy 'Merican beer. You understand, I'm sure. "The beer's on me" only applies here in the U.S. of A. Heck, even Mel Gibson drinks our swill!

Cheers
Phil

We Americans prefer our tool to be hard as it seems to stand up longer. I'm surprised to hear that you'all have a rather soft tool. While I have never hit my tool with a 3 ton hammer, it has stood up to a lot of pounding on a fairly regular basis. "Judge ye not, a man, by the hardness of his tool!" :P

Many here complain about anvils that are under 500BHN (HRc50). I may not have a 3 ton hammer, but I can dent 320BHN quite easily with my 3 pound.

Phil , are you sayin' i's drink alot ?

Grant , PM me her addy & i'll dig out something & send it up ta her , can't ave the blokes from QLD & NSW takin' all the glory .. smile.gif

Dale Russell

in that case maybe we shoulda done a throw in.. poor girl's gonna need a truck to get the stuff home.lol