I Forge Iron

OZ roll call

Dale Russell

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day to all
I'm John from Frankston Vic a Fitter by trade on weekends i have a shed at a craft village in Tyabb where i do wrought iron work. 8-9 weeks ago i became a learner smithy and love it
Cheers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok , been noticing more AUSSIE'S getting onta the site of late .
Need youse ta bung youse name in here , who knows , another smith mine be just around the cnr for you & youse didn't even know .
So come on all you AUSSIE lurkin' out there , let us know youse is here

Dale Russell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi names Mike and i live at Caboolture Queensland.....i have always been interested in blacksmithing and metal casting with aluminium...... have never tried blacksmithing up until last tuesday week at the Caboolture historical village in they're blacksmith shop...i ....headind back there this coming monday and hope to do one or two days a week learning....also hoping to try melting some aluminium in the forge and casting it

G" Day mite 5255 , welcome ta the site , wont hold it against youse for bein' a banana bender :) , is some fine smiths up your way too , look em up .
Dale Russell

hi dale and thanks ....also i happen to be a N.S.Wman who just happens to to have resided in QLD for the last 25 years.....go the blues,man i sure wish they could play better,i'm getting hell at work:p

i would love to meet some of the local smitheys and watch them work plus maybe pick up a few pointers

G'day blokes (& gals),

Got into 'smithy' work whilst in the army doing my trade (had to do theory on metallurgy which incorporated blacksmith roles), from there I got interested in it but stuck to my trade (mechanical fitter). Now work on drill rigs and do a fair bit of 'boily'.

Starting out as a hobby and when I get back to Perth going to join the WA Association, that's if they'll take me I only drink VB.

Cheers & beers (VB)
Macca

Dave from Canberra checking in.

Hobbyist. Try to get at least 1 day a fortnight in the forge playing (Sorry.. Serious work.. *cough*)

With a young family (1st child born 5 weeks ago), finding time in the shed is a premium. However, I am lucky enough that the sound of me working in the forge puts my little fella to sleep. "What's that honey? He's not settling.. Did you want me to fire up my forge?" *Grin*

Smithing on and off for a few years. Finally have a house (2 years now), which has a large enough garage for me to build a forge in. Took a little while to assemble it all. But it's running now. Now just redeveloping lost skills and trying to find new ones.

AD

G'day guys

Just joined today, curently living in Dareton, NSW just over the border from Mildura, been here for about 18 months and finally came across an Anvil, which I bought. My grandather was a balcksmith and have had a yearning to do it for a while, so with an anvil I am on my way.

Bought a couple of books and will try as I go, hope one day to do a course but see how things go. I work as a cop so I look forward to bashing iron instead of crims, (Joke) anyway glad to meet you all.

Graham

today was the town and country fair at the Caboolture historical village ,it was a very successful day....the fist couple of photos are of the smithy's shop were i have been doing some hammer time,i have also posted a few photos of the machinery parade

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

Last edited by mite5255; Today at 08:06 PM.
Edit/Delete Message

Edited by mite5255

Mike , now u've signed up to IFI there is a galley set aside for you , load any photos you like ( remembering it is a family forum ) into it . Gallery auto sizes pictures for you , then you can thumbnail them to a post in the forums ..

Tried looking at those photobucket 1's , 1/2 ain't there ...

Dale Russell

G,day , i just joined up on this forum although i have been a member of the metal artist forum for near 4 years.
its good to speak with some aussies at last.
I am a full time blacksmith from the sunshine coast hinterland Qld, been blacksmithing for the last 10 years and a boliermaker by trade . was taught blacksmithing by many old blokes who have now passed on,, and picked up techniques along the way, most of the hardware in my workshop is made by me,, including powerhammers and forges, and if you want you can check out some of my work at Artemis Wrought Iron theres also videos to watch.

Look forward to seeing some of my fellow aussies work,
This image below is called the chuckwagon gate,, made for a clients docking bay,, 4 metres wide by 800mm high,, double door,,
cheers
george.

15704.attach

15705.attach

G'Day George, first of all welcome to the site
Next , Way nice work bloke , btw , where was you when we's was makin' all those leaves for the tree project ? http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/aussie-brush-fires-leaf-memorial-make-send-leaves-9956/

Dale Russell

G,day Russell, where was i you ask? hmm, probably bangin out friggin leaves day and night,, gotta be an easier way i reckon,,, i am still tryin to find it though,, its all hard yards so far, no matter which way ya look at it,, and a saw forearm.
cheers, glad ya like it,, should get a decent photo of it once its fitted.

• 5 weeks later...

g'day everyone
my name is jeff and i'm just getting started. I have been watching an old blacksmith for years and finally took a swing myself . Brian first lit his fathers forge at 8 and he is 79 now so along with a few others I'm going to learn the art
cheers