I Forge Iron

6" of 1/2" square bar challenge.

Been a while since we have had a freindly competition so i shall offer one up. 

6" (150 mm) of 1/2" (13mm) square bar. What can you make with it? 

This is the only piece of material allowed. Any rivets, filler material, etc, must come out of this single piece. 

You can make anything you wish. As simple as a coat hook, split cross, or as complicated as say a set of dividers. 

You may use any material you wish. 

There will be no "winner" picked, nor a time frame chosen. Everyone who participates is a winner, no time frame so that those who think they are not up to the challenge may do so at a later time if they wish. This is an exercise of material management and creative thinking. What i would love to see is techniques tried that have never been done or not that proficient at. No matter what it is. A twist never tried, welding if not that good, drawing out or pienning, a new type of finial, whatever. Just try something and add that thing to your skillset.  And even if you fail at that skill you still tried and that is what this is all about. This is not about challenging others it is about challenging yourself. Pushing beyond your comfort zone and encouraging others to do the same.

Here's my offering, double bit axe bottle opener. Had a few dramas and its better opening bottles than chopping wood! Tapered the end a bit much and head isnt 100% tight even with a wedge ( cut from the same stock) but anyway.

Jim.IMG_20230905_143757.thumb.jpg.2d82a80ccd0c40d4cba3ee14e35690a1.jpgIMG_20230905_143809.thumb.jpg.06b2e87e281a0430c16fb2eec8e7e0f9.jpgIMG_20230905_143753.thumb.jpg.2aadc6e26cb69978ca2fbe103d227caa.jpg

This sounds like a fun challenge, BillyBones.  I can think of a LOT of things I haven't done or tried yet.  I think a big part of the fun might be the picking of a new skill/technique to try.  Now to figure out which new skill and a theme or way to put into something tangible.  I like the no time limit aspect, tho I will try not to drag my heels too much.... :)

I like that axe opener very much.. Almost said battle axe.... :)

Got some time to work on my own submission

I had our tool maker at work cut me a peice of O-1, 6"x1/2" for this. I do not make blades and very rarely use tool steel. Which also means that i do not do much in the way of heat treating either. I got with a local bowyer (i learned a new word as well, i did not know that is what you call a bow maker) to make a couple tools for. One is a small draw knife the second is a scraper. These are the rough forgings, started grinding and cleaning them up and they still need handles but from my limited experience they seem to work quite well. 

I just did a hillbilly heat treat, got it glowy then dunked in oil, tossed into the toaster oven at 500* for a couple hours. 

image.thumb.jpeg.57d35a98b4fb483d3c5e00175531f5cd.jpeg

It is hard. The best i can say is imagine hitting mild at just the point it is starting to get color. Heat managment is quite tricky. I had a small piece of 1 of the handles crumble under the hammer, i think i had it to hot. Not quite burning but a high yellow color. 

Thought I would take a chance and see if I could do it. First time making a cattail from square stock. Didn't take too long and looks OK. Still needs a finish. It came out 14 inches long.

cattail.thumb.jpg.80e65d4458c23ed1133ce2d0c17b6457.jpg

cattailfinished.thumb.jpg.bef7f898194233103a03c1cf83ba1021.jpg

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus