I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing gems and pearls

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are three possible outcomes in a shop accident: you hurt yourself or someone else, you kill yourself or someone else, or you kill me. Only one of those outcomes gets me out of accident related paperwork. John McPherson

• 2 weeks later...

Before you modify the anvil, pound hot metal on the anvil face for a year or so and look at the face again. And by a year or so, I am talking about 1000 to 2000 hours of real hammer time. Just turning the shop lights on does not count. Before and after photos will help you to compare the differences.

When you're still green, visit YouTube for inspiration and IFI for information. Once you get around to using the forums, you can ditch YouTube entirely. Following YouTube makes you prone to accidents.

You probably know this already, but using Google search and including "site: iforgeiron.com"(without the quotes) in your search parameters is extremely effective.

The version I learned is MORE traditional, Measure with a micrometer, mark with a piece of chalk and cut with an AXE. See, that version predates torches. HAH!

If you can't move it paint it. Dad used to buy surplus equipment at Naval auctions and the paint was usually more than 1/2" thick on the thin spots. Two of the punch presses he had the paint completely covered the bearing caps on the shaft. Dad's boy knows because it was his job to chip through it so Dad could pour new babbit. Once you start chipping it's awfully hard to stop till you mine your way to metal. Original color was green.

Frosty The Lucky.