I Forge Iron

My Own Motivational Music - Video heavy

Scott NC

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While stumbling around the many rabbit holes opened by this thread and the link to "Barret's Privateers" my friend Sean sent me I came across this folk group, "The Longest Johns." Their rendition of "Barret's Privateers" is exceptionally good. I've been binging them for a day or so while making my head ache looking online for a laptop to replace this dying one. They do excellent Sea Shanties.

Below is a fun video of sea shanties. I don't know what game they're playing or if the ship is a sloop of war or a brig of war but I think it'd be too cool for school to sail past Long Beach harbor On step on one.

Frosty The Lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJlhhf_lhs&ab_channel=TheLongestJohns

I have no idea, my posts disappear sometimes too. Nah, your post is kiltered enough for this crew. 

Speaking of crew, here's another series of Longest Johns videos that's pretty entertaining.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRuG4GMZ98&ab_channel=TheLongestJohns

I THINK Sea of Thieves is the game but I don't know. I know the game is credited a couple times but my memory is . . . What were we talking about again?:huh:

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh YEAH, the only people I know who don't like, "Southern Cross" had a brother / Sister,  room mate, live in, etc. that played it constantly. Or other songs, some of which I never want to hear again. My little Sister got a 45 player for her birthday and literally stacked copies of the same song so she could hear it Over and OVER and O V E R. :wacko:

Not that I played my favorite Simon and Garfunkel albums over and over till I fell asleep and Mother came in and turned it off. Not me, no way!

Frosty The Lucky.

Well that was pretty listenable, Billy.

I've loved Dylan since the first time I heard him, still do but the last I listened to a live performance his voice was pretty shot. It's not like he ever had a "good" voice but there isn't much left. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

Last time I saw Dylan was when he was doing a tour with the Grateful Dead. The show was at the Humphrey Metrodome (since demolished) in Minneapolis. The Dead played their sets & the sound was only okay (the dome's acoustics were lousy) then there was a lengthy delay while the crew switched sound systems which was a head-scratcher given how good the Dead's sound systems have been over the years. The resulting sound for Dylan's set was really poor which was a shame as I was looking forward to hearing him. Seems like only last year, but it's been decades now.

--Larry

I don't think Dylan had any illusions, I think he set out to sound like a road weary traveling minstrel. Arlo Guthrie is another musician I like to listen to and his Father Woody intended to sound like a poor downtrodden victim of the capitalists who disagreed with his politics. On the upside Woody never pretended to be anything but what he was.

I like folk music, I like being able to hear the vocalists over the instruments and especially songs that tell a story. I like rock and roll music but folk and country western songs. Hoyt Axton is a favorite composer of mine. He sings well enough but his songs sound better when performed by others. Who doesn't like, "Dela And The Dealer" or say "Wild Bull Rider"?

Frosty The Lucky.

I saw Dylan with The Dead in 2007...maybe 8,9,6... those were some of my not so better days shall we say, but it was everyone but Jerry playin. I do have a bootleg of the show on CD somewhere. I will have to dig it up to see what the dates were. Good show though sound system was excellent but Dylan's voice was bad. 

I agree with George however. Dylan never could sing. But like Frosty says there was a feeling in his voice that made it good. Same as Janis Joplin, she could not sing either but had a feeling in her voice that made her great. And that is art and singing is art. It stirs a feeling. 

I saw Arlo Guthrie at a Hookahville at Buckeye lake bake in the late 90's. I cant remember but it was i think either Bob Weir or Willie Nelson played that same year there. 

So anyway one of my favorites

6 hours ago, BillyBones said:

she could not sing either but had a feeling in her voice that made her great. And that is art and singing is art. It stirs a feeling. 

You hit the nail on the head there.  Art is what's in your heart.  I am reminded of an opera singer I once read about, Florence Foster Jenkins.  Supposedly the worst opera singer in history.  She never let that get in the way though.  She was a philanthropist and once filled Carnegie Hall.  I won't post a video, but look her up and give a listen.  I recommend earplugs.

I like Janis Joplin very much.