I Forge Iron

My Own Motivational Music - Video heavy

Scott NC

I guess I can't go wrong posting this one.  

On 10/4/2023 at 7:27 PM, Frosty said:

folk music, I like being able to hear the vocalists over the instruments and especially songs that tell a story.

A shipload of Iron Ore Pellets!

Go ride a ship through the North Atlantic in a storm.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe an ocean going ship would've fared better but lake Superior is way different. Fresh water provides less buoyancy and being less dense the waves tend to be higher for the same conditions. The bottom of the Great lakes is a graveyard of storm sunken ships. One of the edu channels had a couple great programs about it. Side scan sonar images, submersibles and divers. It was chilling how many ore ships are broken sunken hulks.

Frosty The Lucky.

When Gordon Lightfoot passed away earlier this year the Sailors' Church in Detroit rang their bell 30 times, 29 for the crew of the "Big Fitz" and once for Gordon.  He never made a dime from that song.  All the profits, fees, and royalties went to the families of the men who were lost.

GNM

My computer is starting to stabilize (knock on wood!) my headphones are working with it again and I get to listen to some good tunes again. The videos that go with are good too. I thought this one would fit in here just right.

Frosty The Lucky.

"I said you're a good dog, then I said good bye. I've done that more times than I can count unless I start sifting the memories one by one. It always hurts but it's part of the deal. My next goodbye is sleeping behind my back in the chair as I type. Baxter's 12 and feeling his years. One day before long enough Deb and I will hold him, tell him we love him and he's a good dog as his great little heart slows, stops and his chest doesn't rise again.

The thing I fear now is one day my dog will lay with me as I draw my last breath. Hopefully Deb or someone else who loves him/er will make a place to love next.

Frosty The Lucky.

Fixed it for you. mod30

Edited by Mod30
fix typo

This song actually hits quite close to home for me. It was a rainy Sat. in Dec. my dog, Ziggy, got up and could not use his back legs. I laid with him in the living room floor and just before he passed he had a moment of lucidity turned and put his head in may hand. I told him i loved him, he was a good dog, and everything would be ok. He gave little gruff "umph" and took his last breath. I cried like a kid. Absolutely tore me up, i am getting all teary eyed thinking about it now. He was my best freind i have ever had. Always by my side. Smart as a whip, never had a leash on, he would not even go past the property line unless i told him it was ok to do so. The kids on the street loved to play with and he loved playing with them. 

That was 5 years ago this Dec.  He was just an old mutt. The vet said by looking at him he was German Shepherd, Boxer, and Lab. Imagine a brindle strip GSD and that is what he looked like. 

That videos a good addition Billy.  It hits close to home to me too.  It's a universal feeling (or should be).  We've only had rescues and the one we love right now (Gina) is getting older.

I had a doberman that I used to take for long walks near the tracks and one day she just collapsed and I had to carry her home.  She developed heart trouble.   It was a very emotional time for our family. According to the rescue she was kept chained to an old car in someones back yard and abused.  I like to think of the good life we gave her.  She was a handfull when we first got her and it took a very long time, but she turned out to be the best friend we ever had.  I get a lump in my throat and tear up sometimes looking back.

Gov't Mule, Widespread Panic, and Blackberry Smoke are the only bands now that i will go and see. I used to go to a lot of live shows when i was younger, maybe 3 a month on average, as i have gotten older i no longer want to deal with the crowd, getting clean and sober helped with that really, or the driving there and back, or the standing, or the... you get my point. So i decided if i want to go and see a show it will be a good one and close to me. If it is one of those 3 i always try and make it. 

On a side note me and my dad went to a local bar last weekend. For pizza and a couple beers*. I made a comment to him and said that coming to a bar makes me realize why i no longer like hanging out in bars. We drank our beers, ate our pizza and had a good time laughing at all the "kids" doing what we used to do in bars. 

*Alcohol was not my problem.  I do not mind talking about my past and my mistakes, i have spoke at NA meetings and have helped some. If you have a loved one or if you yourself want some advice, please ask. 

I couldn't pin down a year for the last concert I went to without researching the bands who played and I only remember one. What I remember about the last time I went out to listen to a band in a bar is waking up in the empty base theater with "The Last American Hero" playing. The fellows I went with got me out of the bar and took me where I could come round a little and not disturb people en-masse. One of the guys ran the theater. 

I didn't quit smoking pot but quit taking other . . . stuff. Now though pot is like Wild Turkey compared to beer. I don't take a tok a month, it's just too strong to be enjoyable.

Frosty The Lucky.

I went from basically living on the street 15 years ago to owning a home and becoming prosperous, having a family with grandkids and even 2 great grandkids now.  I gave up most of my ill habits and completely quit associating with any of my old "friends". My only 2 vices now are a couple beers when i get home from work and the cigarettes i smoke. And if you knew half of the things i used to do... that is pretty danged impressive. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's hard moving across country and getting used to a different way of living, talking, all the nuances.  Food, tradition, music, things you wouldn't expect.  You want to hold onto the old familiar, but people are people where ever you go.  They accept you no matter how stubborn you are...