I Forge Iron

My Own Motivational Music - Video heavy

Scott NC

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear that is a dead musical note on that fork.  Google "Note Eater" and all will be revealed.  I read it originally came from a graffiti on a wall.  I have drawn inspiration from muralists and graffiti artistry before.  I don't condone or copy graffiti, but can't help appreciating some of it.  

BillBones, I love their music....:)

"How could you even think of such a thing?"

I  love practical jokers and the crew at the old bean plant were pro's....:).  Going into work was like a cross between Benny Hill and Monty Python.  Good times.  I think it preserved our sanity....  The Stuffed Shirts didn't like it so much.

Graffiti has been around since before humans were . . . human. All we've ever needed is a wall-like something to decorate. 

Agreed, some is good some deserves to be cleaned off or covered soonest. 

Oh, nothing beats a good practical joke to help deflate management's shirts. It's good for them, Honest it is!:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

When i was stationed in TX. one of my freinds was a graffiti artist. He had a lot of pictures of park benches, walls, etc. that he had painted. What i thought was cool was that he was paid by the city of Los Angeles to do it. He would cover up gang or offensive graffiti. 

One of my daughters freinds tagged a billboard once. Took him about 3 hours to do becuase it was one of those that had the rotating slats so it would change ads every few seconds. He would paint a bit then have to wait for that side to come back around. 

It's a shame how much talent goes un-noticed.  I have a collection of railcar graffiti photos from back when I repaired them.  You start recognizing the artist.  To this day, I keep my eye peeled.  I'm a railfan.

Theres a lot of brick wall murals done here and I'm starting on documenting them.

I worked in a tattoo shop for a while a few years back. Not an artist i was the doorman kind of bouncer if need be. That was back when graffiti art got popular for tattoos. I got to the point that i kind of hated typical graffiti art. Now something like Banksy or Sabo i like. 

I didn't spend much time in LA proper when I lived there and don't recall seeing any of his work but I moved here more than 50 years ago and may have missed him. I can't imagine his work doesn't hit the papers now and then.

Frosty The Lucky.

Michigan IO.   I toyed with starting my own thread for these guys, because they are so good!

They are a group of guys that have taken old work songs and shanty songs that Alan Lomax recorded and have “retuned” them. The group is pretty small time, less than 80 monthly listeners on Spotify, but they played and live in Holland, MI so I got to see them live when I lived in Grand Rapids.

My favorite is Red Iron Ore, a story about an ore ship in the Great Lakes during the time when they were sail powered. If you want more of them, look them up on YouTube or pm me!

Someone else posted the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, which is my favorite song of all time! I love the combination of ballad and work song, which is what a lot of Michigan IO is. I love this group, and always try to tell people about them, because they are so good!

I'm particularly fond of "The Longest Johns" a British group that does folk songs and sea shanties. The following is a good one but not my favorite, couldn't find that one though. <sigh>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_8tAyecj2g&ab_channel=TheLongestJohns

Frosty The Lucky.

AHH! Here it is, I remembered enough to find it! I like almost all renditions but this is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GjnoZzcVYs&ab_channel=TheLongestJohns

Let's see if the site OS merges these two posts, it wouldn't let me edit after less than 3 minutes. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

BillyBones encouraged me to share some music here.
Growing up in Kansas, my folks raised me on Hank Sr., Elvis, Johnny Cash and one my favorite Christmas memories is when my pa' pissed off grandma (moms' mom) by playing The Ventures Christmas album.

Summers on the farm my uncle (the Vietnam vet) introduced me to the classics; Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, Zep, CCR etc..

In grade school, The Stray Cats played our little town  and since then Rockabilly and Surf (NOT The Beach Boys!) became extremely influential to my appreciation of music.

Then in junior high, I met "the musicians".

They were into the standard teenage revolt bands The Misfits, Sex Pistols, Ramones, KISS, Metallica (and later Megadeath) Iron Maiden etc. 

But Manhattan is unique.

It's both a college (K-State) and military town (The Big Red One, Fort Riley).

While meeting the guys whom I'd eventually play in a few bands with, I meet kids from all over the country that introduced me to Public Enemy, N.W.A. Ice-T and some young LA bands that weren't big at the time, but of course now we do; Motley Crue and Guns N' Roses!

That said, everyone either wanted to play guitar or drums and out of necessity I became a bass player.

Most everyone I'd eventually play with were 1-4 years older.

So I've been a "hired gun" since I was 13.

Having been in original bands and cover bands, the truth is, some bands are "just a gig (paycheck)" and other bands are a stroke of luck (fun to play in as well as a cash cow).

This video is of one of the latter.

Some 30 or so years after my father dropped the needle on that Ventures album

I am NOT  a KSU alumni or much of a sportsfan by any means, but my big sister was a badass volleyball player 88-92 and the Wabash Cannonball is the KSU fight song.

But, for any of  you Stanley Kubrick fans,

Kansans Don't Surf -circa 2010

Enjoy!!!

My absolute favorite band since the Dead, Gov't Mule. 

Warren Haynes played with the Allman Bros. for a while. One of the best guitar players i have ever heard. Then Matt Abts is the best drummer i have ever had the pleasure of seeing live. And this is one of my favorite songs by them. Turn it up and enjoy. 

• 2 weeks later...