I Forge Iron

My Own Motivational Music - Video heavy

Scott NC

When we moved to the Ozarks, one of the first folks, who were native to the area, that we met and became friends with, told us that around here strangers are tolerated. Just give it time for you to be accepted.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New neighbors just take time and you can't let the occasional sourpuss put you off. When I moved into a mobile home a number of the neighbors started reading their rules at me. Then I started practicing my noisy hobbies, my closest neighbor was about 40' and I couldn't set up forge and anvil against my trailer.

That got folks talking to me, heck they had to their kids were hanging out at my place when I was hobbying. The clincher was when word got around I'd do light repairs, I welded up more cheap kitchen chairs and tables than I ever wanted to see. Attitudes had changed though, when the court owners posted eviction notices on my door over my hobbies my neighbors all but packed the office in my favor. 

Things will smooth out and a new home WILL grow there Scott, trust me Brother. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

There was a neighbor on the ridge east of us about a mile as the crow flies. He had a 1950 ford pick up that he restored, nice John Deer green. He was born and raised in Carroll County. One day I was headed to the next town east of us and when I came up the hill out of the Kings River bridge, I saw him sitting on the side of the road.

Seems he had run out of gas and the battery was low from trying to get it started. I pulled over in front of him and asked if I could help. He appreciated it and asked if I could go up and get him some gas. I said how about if we hooked up a chain and I would pull him up to the station. He was really surprised that I would do that and we hooked up my chain and off we went. I pulled him in to the Outpost station at the top of the grade, right up to a gas pump. While he was filling his tank, I unhooked the chain and turned around and pulled up to the front of his truck, got out my jumper cables and hooked up to jump start the truck. He was so impressed that I would do all that for someone I had only met once and wanted to pay me. I told him that he could do me the same favor if he saw me stranded sometime.

From that time on Bill must have spread the word around and Debi & I and both boys who were in school were accepted as locals.

Thank's for sharing those inspiring stories.  I believe helping others, sharing and engaging with people is a wonderful thing and creates goodwill, sometimes there aren't enough opportunities.  I will look harder.   I've lived in a lot of different places but that was years ago, and it does take time and effort to find one's place, get to know others and make new friends.  I sure didn't mean to sound too negative in my previous comment, because the wheels are turning, just maybe not as fast as I would like.....  That's a personal flaw of mine.  Always in a hurry.  Another is joining in with groups, and I'm a working on that one too.  I think I will keep my eye out for new opportunities and apply myself more in the future, tho sometimes things just have to happen on their own.   I am now going to hit submit and send this off into the spam stream and hope it doesn't get deleted....;)

Modern culture has trained us to expect instant gratification but it doesn't work for everything. It's hard to overcome and let things come when they will. Working harder at some things gets in the way sometimes too.

If there's a way to screw things up for yourself I've probably done it a few times. It's like a natural talent of mine. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I have lived in many places in my life but none long enough to become a local except for where i live now. I spent my formidable years here, moved away to other places, and then came back.  

I remember me and my freinds always saying that first chance we got we were leaving this place, and we all did. With just a couple exceptions we all also moved back and stayed. 

Since we are talking about relocating a bit of relocating music

I like Celtic music too, thanks Billy.  

On 12/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, BillyBones said:

With just a couple exceptions we all also moved back and stayed.

I've come within a hair's breadth of moving back a couple times but it would be mostly to old memories.  The worst is missing old friends, but we keep in touch.  I reflect on the reasons I am here and it put's it all back in perspective.  Besides, I have a new scrap pile growing fast and getting rid of the old one wasn't any fun. 

16 hours ago, Frosty said:

country music

That's all that was on the jutebox at my favorite tavern.  Like it or leave....;).   I may post a few favorites to kick up the heels to.

"We got both kinds here, country and western." - "The Blues Brothers"

I read once that in the southern states that prior to the Civil War there was not much of a southern drawl. People spoke proper English. Not to be confused with the hillbilly twang as i like to call it, that you hear throughout the Appalachians. Which id where the Scotts-Irish settled when coming here. There are also a lot more Gaelic and middle English words that are still used today through that area as well. For example it was pretty common to hear some one refer to a sack or bag as a poke, as in the expression " a pig in the poke", when i was growing up. Which is also why people from that region of the country know where yonder is as well. 

I once heard this, in Appalachia that thing on the hill is a tyre, as in "that radio tyre up yonner". So woundnt that make that thing you mow your grass with a "pyre myre"?

My wife was watching a show once about hillbillies. They had this guy on there they were talking to and they used subtitles when he spoke, i understood every word. I always like to say i speak 2 languages, English and Hillspeak. 

I've watched documentaries on Appalachia where they used subtitles and didn't need them either, but "pyre myre" stumped me.  "Power Mower"?    Btw I have almost all the Foxfire books and treasure them, they were my dad's.

Edited by Scott NC
Fix a thing

I took my first driving test in a 61 T Bird that was a float on a cloud ride. Unfortunately I hadn't driven anything but Mother's Nova and Dad's pickup but they were working and the Neighbor Larry took me and let me drive his car. I passed the written, walked out, Larry handed me the keys and that was that.

I couldn't even figure out how to get it out of park and the tester started it for me. There was some trick to get the key to turn.

Anyway, I failed my first driving test in one of those big boats. Drove the Nova and passed my second time. 

Frosty The Lucky.

A bit of Sturgill Simpson. He is one of my favorite newer country artists out now. He has been around for a few years but not as long as Dwight. Merle Haggard called him the last of the outlaw country. This song he sounds a whole lot like Waylon and another he does sounds a whole lot like Jerry Reed. Quite talented in my opinion