I Forge Iron

Road Miles - Split from another thread

njanvilman

• 3 weeks later...

The mystery novel The Rattle-Rat by Janwillem van de Wetering contains a joke about a pair of Amsterdam detectives getting lost in the Dutch province of Fryslân (Friesland) and getting unlost by driving in the same direction for half an hour until they circle back around to where they're supposed to be.

And it is FLAT.  Much of the country has been reclaimed from the sea and has very little topography.  Some years ago my wife and I drove SW from Aachen, Germany and crossed the SE corner of the Netherlands which was slightly hilly.  I joked that it was the Swizerland of of the Netherlands.  I found out later that is exactly what it is called in reality!

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Yeah, I'm still amazed whenever I drive across the border to Belgium or back, as soon as you see the sign that you have crossed the border the hills are starting, it's like the Netherlands don't want none. I live a couple meters below sea level on reclaimed land and its indeed very flat, the only things that even resemble a height difference I come across are speed bumps!

George, you were in Limburg, which is sometimes considered a separate country, the people's dialect, way of living, and culture is quite different from the rest of the Netherlands.

~Jobtiel

I learned only a few years back how small the Netherlands really is. I often think about it when I'm driving somewhere 3 or more hours away ... "Ah, I could have driven from top to bottom of the Netherlands by now!". I told Ashley as we were nearing Billy's place (4 hours away), that if we'd started at the top of the Netherlands, we'd be in Brussels by now! I just always find it fascinating. It also helped me not feel so weird about not travelling "abroad". I used to read constantly about young adults graduating highschool and taking a year travelling to other countries before starting college. I always wondered where they got all the money to do such a thing because for us here in the States, that would cost a pretty penny just to get over the ocean. Then I started studying Dutch and really looking at the maps and realizing just how close all those countries are to each other in comparison to us in the states. It's nothing for me to drive 4-8 hours for a weekend vacation and not even get more than a state or two away - and I've driven as far as 12 hours to go further when it was cheaper than flying. If I lived in Belgium, I could visit London, Paris or Germany or Switzerland - any of them in less than 8 hours AND their rail travel is much more prevalent so I wouldn't even HAVE to drive! 

And yes, I understand that I'm basically admitting to you all that I'm clueless when it comes to geography, lol. I truly don't know how I managed a passing grade for whatever class I had to learn that stuff in. The little bit I know now - which I've expressed in this post, lol - has only come from learning the Dutch language and the people I've met throughout that process. 

Lol Rojo,

you made me look up Oklahoma, Wiki says it’s 68595 square miles!

Shaina, 

I’ve wondered the same thing about how people from here fly over an travel all over Europe, I guess i didn’t realize that everything was smaller and closer together there! on the world map it always seemed bigger to me for some reason, 

the I got to see a lot of countries when I was in the navy but the only ones in Europe I got to go was Spain and Greece

Jerry I didn’t realize Alaska was that big a place!

Basically, you can think of the larger coutries in Europe as about the size of larger states in the US and the small countries about the size of the smaller to mid sized states in the US.  The culture shock re distances works both ways.  Europeans are often amazed at how BIG the US is and how long it takes to drive from one place to another.

In the UK many folk think the drive from London the Edinburgh is a reasonable 2 day or a LONG 1 day trip.  It is about 350 miles, most of it on high speed motorways.  To us in the western US 350 miles is a longish morning or afternoon drive.  It is about 390 miles from Laramie to Salt Lake City, UT and I figure that as about 5 hours, all interstate.  I'd think nothing of eating lunch at home and figure to eat dinner in SLC.

It's all a matter of perspective.  Here in Wyoming where it is a long way between towns back when I was single I would think little of driving someplace 80 or 100 miles away for just a movie date.  And it is easy to rack up a couple of hundred miles for an afternoon drive.

And, frankly, it is not that expensive to go to Europe if you leave from a major airline hub, e.g. Dallas, Denver, Chicago, Minneapolis, Newark, Atlanta, etc..  The last time I checked I could get a flight in the shoulder season (fall and spring) for about $500 per person round trip from Denver.  And once you are there if you stay at 2 and 3 star hotels you can probably figure $150 to $200 per day for food and lodging for a couple.  Car rental is pretty reasonable too in the non-summer seasons.  Basically, you can spend the same amount of time in Paris or London as you would for a "love boat" cruise of the same length for the same cost.  If you go, do NOT rent a car in the big cities.  The public transportation is superb and parking is rare and expensive.  We often stayed in the cheaper suburbs and rode the train in with the commuters to the city and got around on the Underground or the Metro or the buses with no problem.  Live and travel like the natives. You can do it cheaper if you go the hostel and 1 star hotel route and buy much of your food at grocery stores.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

PS I just checked fares from Denver to London for 2 weeks in April, 2023 and the cheapest was $579/person round trip.  It was on Icelandair and I believe they still have a deal where you can layover in Iceland for several days with no penalty.  

In comparison I remember that I flew from Denver to London and return in 1985 for about $500.  That would be almost $1400 in today's money.

My suggestion to anyone thinking of travelling to Europe is DO IT.  It is cheaper and easier than you would think.  And think of all the cool ironwork you would see and the smiths you could visit.  The legend is that the smith who did the ironwork on the doors on Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris made a deal with the Devil to be able to do such intricate work.  Once you see it you start thinking that maybe there is some truth in the legend.

GNM

As of 2021 the total number of certified public road miles in Alaska was 17,690 and not all of them are paved. We have about 4x as many square miles as road miles. Private roads and jeep type trails aren't counted.

Frosty The Lucky.

By contrast, Scotland has almost twice as many miles of road in an area about 1/20 the size. 

On the other hand, South Carolina has a little less than twice as much public road mileage as Scotland, in an area about the same size. 

Here is a chart of lane miles by state from the Federal Highway Asminsitration.  I believe that a mile of 2 lane road counts 2 lane miles.  You can see that Wyoming a wide open state about a fifth the size of Alaska has nearly twice as many lane miles.

Road Miles by State: Sorted from Most to Least

STATE TOTAL LANE MILES
Texas 683,533
California 396,540
Illinois 306,658
Minnesota 290,618
Kansas 286,606
Missouri 277,504
Florida 275,376
Georgia 272,662
Ohio 262,492
Michigan 256,579