I Forge Iron

Arkans

Arkans

Okay, building my first forge, took an old 20 gallon air tank and cut in half longwayscut a hole and ran 1"1/2 inch black pipe in the bottom with holes drilled in the center.  I did buy some fittings to fit the hose of my shop vac to the end of the pipe, covered that in gravel then filled the tank with sand the dug out the center.  

Currently I am dressing hammers I bought from Harbor Freight.  Using the engineers hammer to make a rounding hammer, and cleaning up the face of the cross pine hammer.  

For an Anvil, I am at a loss... I am  looking at a couple I found on EBay.  Seen a few reviews on you tube and they were favorable.  One is 66lbs and the other 110lbs.  Finding the funds for these won't be too bad.  If anyone has any more information or input it is welcome.  Just don't suggest I sink 2 grand into a new hobby right off.  

my plans, once I get my anvil is going to be to work on tools, tongs, Sweges, hardies, etc etc.

so being new at this I am open to advice, suggestions, and I am always willing to learn.

I have taken this as a hobby, and I am looking forward to expressing my creativity with steel and iron. 

See my welcome on your treadle hammer query.

Look at the improvised anvils threads here on IFI.  A piece of railroad rail mounted on end makes a fine first anvil.  The reviews of the Vevor (?) anvils that are sold on ebay have been OK but you can start with something much less expensive than those.  If you get one I'd go with the 110# version.  Do NOT but any of the Hrbor Freight cast iron anvils.  They are a POS and not worth the money because cast iron is too soft.

Yes, you can build a propane forge but also consider a JABOD (Just A Box OF Dirt) solid fuel forge to start off.  Again, there are plenty of threads about them here in IFI.

Look up your local Artist Blacksmith Association of North America affiliate and join and attend meetings and events.  You will learn more and faster than on your own.

There are a number of IFI folk in OK.  You may be within visiting distance of one or more.

"Ny hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Howdy Neighbor! and welcome to the forum!

your a whole 10 minutes up 59 from me here in peavine! my kid boy goes to daycare up there in westville!

I bet ya I can find ya an anvil post vise ect…

Imma send you a PM with my Phone number so you can gimme a shout an swing on down to the shop here in peavine and we’ll see what we can’t do to get ya fixed up!

Welcome aboard Arkans, glad to have you.

Billy in Peavine has you covered for most of what you'll need. A couple words about your forge. A shop vac is WAY too much air blast! It will work a LOT better if you use clayey soil from a ditch rather than gravel and sand in the forge. All you need is clay that will pack hard if damp then mix it about 1pt. clay to 3pts. sand. That's not exact, it just needs to pack hard. Do NOT make it wet enough to mold, just moist enough to hammer in with a mallet or the end of a 2x4, The sane allows it to expand and contract without cracking like a dry mud puddle and prevents steam from becoming trapped and spalling. (Popping and blowing HOT sand and coals out of the forge!):o

Rather than using the pipe with holes drilled in it, check out "side blast" forges. The problem with the pipe with holes air blast is it makes the fire WAY too large and are much more appropriate for heat treating long blades, not general blacksmithing. You can only work 4"-6" of stock at a time and any that reaches forging temp without being refined under the hammer will suffer grain growth and become embrittled.  

A blow drier makes plenty of air for the blast but see what Billy has for hand crank blowers, those are highly desirable for solid fuel forges and lets you learn fire management hands on. 

I'm going to stop rambling, I tend to get carried away.:) Do some reading here and we'll help with your questions.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, thank you for the advice! I was at Billy's this morning and described to what i was thinking.  I have been working today but my brain has been engaged and plan to talk with him about my new idea for a forge... after seeing his set up and what I have to work with here at home... I came up with a new design. (Go figure) that is similar to what he has, he has already messaged me about some items he has that he can sell so I plan on talking with him about what would be best.  I am thinking about running coal like he does. ( the smell of a coal forge is awesome and has been teasing my nose all day since being there at his forge.)  

Welcome aboard. I second all the advice above, in particular about taking every opportunity to watch/hang out with/study with other smiths. An hour with a good teacher is worth a month of trying to teach yourself from instructions in the forum (excellent though they may be) or from watching YouTube videos (most of which are of questionable value anyway and may even present risk to life and limb).

• 2 weeks later...

I know i have not posted here in a bit, and i am excited, so today i bought a cast iron rivet forge form Twisted, as well as a hand cranked blower.  I do have some work to do before i get full started, i have to take a few things loose from the old forge (it had some kind of belt driven motor on it with a weighted actuator, looks like it had a cast iron pulley that broke at some point)  I would love to restore that, but there was some kind of gear in that pulley, so finding the broken part would be impossible, (doesnt mean i wont save the old parts in case i get lucky.   Also did a bit of pawn shop hopping and flea markets, looking for punches and chisels, files, scrap, and stumbled on a Horizontal metal cutting band saw.  I have not gotten it home yet, but will do so in the morning.  So, tomorrows plans are to get that home... replace battery terminals on my wife's car, cause if i don't i might have to live in my little shop, and it doesn't have a heater.  I am also going to run out to a place i know to get some red clay and try to find some sand.  once i have that, i need to pile up some wood to burn for pot-ash and once i get the new grate, ash dump and Air plumbed in.  I will be ready to start beating on some Iron.

I found some online line like mine, i think it is a Champion forge, it used to have a handle mounted on the side that worked like a pump handle to work the blower, the old blower is still down there, but that busted flywheel that would have kept it form being restored, then searching round today, i found another flywheel... looks like an exact match to what is there now. so do i try to restore the original, or just use my buffalo blower and make my own ash dump and blower set up.  I think it would be cool to restore it but would it be worth the time and money, i can get the other flywheel I found for about 100.00 shipped.  The one i found comes with the geared shaft attached.   

Regardless, i have to get the rust off, and take it apart either way, so i am going to work on it tomorrow.  i have all the rusted bolts and screws soaking in PB blaster now, and i am going to have to grind off a few screw heads and either tap them out or drill them out.  once i get it apart, i will take a closer look at all the parts and make up my mind.   If i do decide to restore, i have a 55 gallon drum, i am going to cut it and pack it will dirt and use the buffalo blower to get up and running.

Would be great, but I married a country girl, only time in 10 1/2 years of marriage I seen her wear fingernail polish is when we got married. And took it off within an hour after the wedding.  Now I have no idea what happened to the remover she used then, but I don't think I have seen the bottle since.

If you're going to paint it anyway, buy some Naval Jelly it converts the rust back into iron and leaves a phosphate (?) coating that takes paint well. Don't forget to rinse, neutralize with baking soda and rinse again and let dry before painting.

Frosty The Lucky.