I Forge Iron

It followed me home

No I bought them immediately and did not try to talk the price down afraid someone else would see them and buy them out from under me. (Not good fleamarket manners but it does happen, particularly in the ruder parts of the country, good form is to wait and try to buy them off the fellow who was working the deal afterwards.)

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 16" diameter double wall flue with accesaries showed up on the doorstep of my forge shop last night. Neighbor works for a roofing company, and it was a storm damaged roof pull off. The cap needs repairs, but the stack is good and it is 9' long. Just right to replace the 8" diametr stack on my coal forge sidedraft hood to get better smoke draw.
Good neighbor:)

A friend at work that I have done both paid and free smithing for came into my office today and said he had a piece of junk in the back of his truck. Said it slid around and beat the truck bed up on the way to work and if I didn't want the rusted piece of junk he was going to throw it in the scrap bin rather than cart it home. I asked him what it was and he said he thought it was an old blower but he wasn't sure. It came from his late father-in-laws barn, He said it was locked up and wouldn't turn and rusted and the wood part of the handle was missing. Said if I didn't want I could toss it.
I went out at lunch and this is what I found. It banged around in the truck enough on the way into work that it busted up the mud dobber nest in side and the impeller would move about 1/2" when I put it in my truck. I got it home and dug out the mouse nest and now it turns free. I haven't put oil in it yet. I will do that tomorrow with any luck it will hold oil and not leak it back onto the floor. It is a Canedy Otto Royal Western Cheif H. I will have to make a stand for it in the near future.

John

9824.attach

9825.attach

One of the guys that work at colonial williamsburg, got the BIGGEST post vice I have ever seen as a freebie, it had been concreted into the guys driveway and was holding his mailbox. My buddy was driving past and the guy was removing the mailbox (a big copper hifalootin thing) and almost begged him to remove "the piece of scrap", he was moving, and didn't want to be sued if his mover ran into it. If he fell of of Macys he'd land in a suit.
Paul.
It's not over... Untill we Win!!!

After a quick trip north, and finally having internet access, I'm happy to say that I came home with a pile of treasures. While on holiday in Indiana, visiting family, I ran into none other than JWBIRONWORKS doing a demo at the Bridgeton General Store. He told me I should come by the house later that night, seeing as he had a post vice. Upon arriving at his house, I didn't even get out of the car before I was instructed to back it up into the shop, where he promptly began piling tools up on me. He hooked me up with a pile of hammers, some re-forged by himself, a couple of sets of tongs, a twisting wrench (made by himself), a rivet forge with attached blower, a wagon tongue post vise, a pipe vise, and an old, empty propane tank for a new gasser. I was floored! Even more, he didn't charge me! I was stupid giddy by the time I made it back to my folk's house. I'll definitely be throwing some free labour your way over this next summer, John! Thanks again!
Mickey

Sure did! It was definitely an early Christmas. I met John at the same store over a year ago, and have been picking his brain everytime I get back up that way. He is one of the greatest guys I've ever met. He has made me feel at home and welcome in his shop, at demos, and even his home. His generosity and knowledge never cease to bowl me over.
Mickey

I have a project that needs a 55 gallon drum and my present supply is at zero. On the way back from town I started thinking about where someone could find such a drum. At the first stop I acquired 2 drums and the second stop 2 more for a total of 4 drums in just 3 city blocks.

About a mile down the road I saw some plastic buckets beside a building. A knock on a door and yes, please take all you want. I added 17 plastic 5 gallon buckets to the haul. The stuff is out there, and available if you ask politely.

On the scrap pile at the local steel supplier I found what I would call anvil tool blanks. They are 60mm x 60 mm squares of 25mm plate. On the bottom is a shaft of 25mm round. The amazing thing is that they are not welded. They have been machined at some stage out of 1 piece. I picked up a couple and shall be going back on Thursday for the remainder- about another 10 or so.

I had to buy them which is not really in the spirit of things but I got them for scrap price.

I have already made a hardie out of one of them and have plans for swages and fullers out of the others. the best news is that the round shaft exactly fits the big pritchel hole on my Portsmouth anvil. The edge of the blank just aligns with the next size pritchel so I shall just be able to weld a piece of bar onto the side of the blanks to make them fix rock solid on the anvil without having to do any real work! I had been planning to make some anvil tools and can hardly believe my luck.

Sometime back in this thread, I showed some machining dies I had picked up at a local auction for pennies, I found out that 1 piece is perfect for additional dies for my tire hammer, so that made the aquisition sweet, but at our monthly meeting, my buddy Bob made a suggestion to trade several pieces for a small swage block he no longer needs, well I jumped at the offer like a man in the desert offered a glass of water, Merry Christmas.

Sometime back in this thread, I showed some machining dies I had picked up at a local auction for pennies, I found out that 1 piece is perfect for additional dies for my tire hammer, so that made the aquisition sweet, but at our monthly meeting, my buddy Bob made a suggestion to trade several pieces for a small swage block he no longer needs, well I jumped at the offer like a man in the desert offered a glass of water, Merry Christmas.

Thats a Salt fork craftmans block..I have one..

Stopped at antique store in a town Rockdale today. Didn't seem like much until he said he had some iron in the back. I wish it wasn't so close to christmas i would've spent more.

Here are few of the trinkets.

Russell

10137.attach

Edited by rcs7
This time to add the pictures.