I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A "small" pair of tongs that was in the back yard at my stepson's house. The reigns are 1" round bar. I don't think I'll be able to use them one handed.

They appear to be for 2 men to lift a billet or large work piece.  I don't think rail was ever made in this area, but we do have Caterpillar, Keystone (now Liberty Steel), Wabco (now  Komatsu) and several other steel and manufacturing companies that may have needed them 

IMG_20231001_083919652.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They sure look like rail tongs to me, for long lengths two men could lift on each reign. There are videos of track being laid by hand but I can't find them right now. Heck I can't find my old bookmarks, they didn't get transferred to my new computer. <sigh>

Found a picture though.

Frosty The Lucky.

7758861f2f7bd3f4723c16a65db0db92.jpg

Yeah, I thought they looked perfect for rails too, but I'm not aware of any rail manufacturing in this area.  If they were used for laying track, that's a likely explanation. They certainly look like your picture. 

The previous owner of the house worked on barges and carted home all sorts of stuff.  He may have picked them up somewhere else along the river.  

Long, but good.  Thanks.  I remember running an air jack lifting railcars up to remove the trucks in mud, slime, rocks, ice and other things.  I had a stuck draft gear fall on my toe once.  Railroad work is hard and dangerous to this day.  Not as way back when, but.....

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a few hammers at Centaur Forge during the conference.  Nathan from Jackpine forge was demonstrating making tooling.  Picked up 2 hammers from him,  1.5 cross pein and 3 lb diagnol.  Then the other cross is a 2.5 pound.  Also picked up some rainbow patina.

20231022_150612.jpg

Last night a long awaited fixture plate was delivered. (Long story of how I came across it…but no cost.)

IMG_0664.jpeg.a999fbb2dd8dc286e09a2ba57e90873c.jpeg

30”x15”x6” 4140 pre-hard material with 5/8” threaded through holes in a 2” square pattern.

Now I have another project on my to do list: make a hefty stand!

Keep it fun,

David

David, congratulations on a seriously nice find! If my math is right, about 766lbs, so it will need a hefty stand indeed. You might look at Fireball Tool's welding tables for some ideas, though the system employed there is slightly different (non-threaded holes). The legs on the Fireball tables are extremely stout and work very well. When you make the stand I'd suggest making every effort to leave the edges fully exposed so that larger plates can hang down as in this pic.

--Larry

IMG_5089.jpeg