I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I was his best man, not hers!

Meanwhile, a quick trip to the industrial surplus place yielded a nice old toolbox and about $400 worth of 1/8” shank grinder bits for the flexible shaft; about $40 for everything. Also a nice bit of blacksmith’s roadkill in the form of the chain end of a tie down strap. 

IMG_7004.jpeg

I can’t read what the load rating was supposed to be, but it clearly wasn’t enough. 

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, this is the single most bizarre thing that has yet followed me home. I had a meeting yesterday with an alumnus from the Class of ‘63 with whom I have often discussed my blacksmithing work. He asked if I would like some scrap metal that has been sitting in a box in their barn for two decades, and when I said, yes, he presented me with the remains of his late father’s artificial hips.

IMG_7046.thumb.jpeg.72b14c8c2a03222f1cde0dec20395650.jpeg

I’m tempted to put these in my carry-on luggage, just to see the look on the TSA agent’s face. 

As a matter of fact, it did. Something of a smokey smell, too….

It’s not stainless, which I gather is not used much for implants since a lot of people have allergic reactions to nickel. It’s probably either titanium or a cobalt-chromium alloy. Once I get home, I’m going to calculate its density and see if that tells me anything. 

On 7/20/2023 at 5:01 AM, JHCC said:

tempted to put these in my carry-on

Please do.  That would be an interesting story for sure.  

Just a few small items followed me home today.  Found an old bit brace, going to have to spend a bit of time in the rust removal tank hooked up to my charger.  

An old Red Devil linoleum knife (always nice to see USA stamped on anything) and a pair of pliers and a chisel or two.  One has seen better days, so that head will be coming off shortly.  

More importantly, they are just now starting to dig back through the garage, so will be letting me know if they run across any other old tools.  They recall seeing a vise but the wasps have taken that over so will take some persuasion before they will let it go.  

I promised to put everything back to good use.  

20230723_183102.jpg

This just arrived today!  I've done better this month on sales than I have yet so Ib reinvested in the shop and got a Holland anvil 50 pounds swage block.  Now to spend a bunch of time trying to make use of it. 

received_810621047097691.jpeg

Before I lucked into my swage block I made a couple bottom and top swages by welding large hex nuts to a bar handle. I cut large hex nuts through the "corners" and welded them to 3/8" x 1" flat bar spaced to make a hex swage. I used another large hex nut to space them while I tacked them up. 

They worked pretty well but I haven't seen either since I lucked into the swage block. 

In use I discovered that like John says above I didn't need a matching swage top tool to forge hexes.

I'd sure like to play with a Holland Anvil swage block, I think a couple club members have one maybe I can get them to bring it to a meeting. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Picked up this steel lawn roller this evening. I plan to remove the handle and cut off one end, then stand it on end and fill it with sand to mount the railroad rail, which I intend to play with as an all-in-one nail making station. 

received_191917153877991.jpeg

Picked up a few more future repoussé tools at the ReStore.

IMG_7248.thumb.jpeg.b68248df1a59eede656991439f365901.jpeg

It occurred to me that I could cut the blade off the wood chisel on the right and use the striking button as the business end of a round embosser. 

Update on the hip replacements:

On 7/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, JHCC said:

It’s probably either titanium or a cobalt-chromium alloy. Once I get home, I’m going to calculate its density and see if that tells me anything. 

The results from measuring one of the larger pieces were inconclusive. The weight was 275g, and the volume (measured by displacement) was just over 39cc. That gives a density of just under 7g/cc, which is about halfway between titanium (4.506) and cobalt-chromium (10). I think I’ll measure all four pieces together, so that any measuring error will be a smaller percentage of the total. 

On 7/20/2023 at 6:01 AM, JHCC said:

I’m tempted to put these in my carry-on luggage, just to see the look on the TSA agent’s face. 

One of my coworkers had a wonderful, awful idea: carry them in my pocket to set off the metal detector. Then, when the TSA agent asked, “Do you have any artificial joints?”, I could pull them from my pocket and say, “Why, yes! And here they are!”

Ah, I love harmless funnin with TSA agents! You should see their expressions when you're carrying coprolite book ends in your luggage and it got better when they opened it to look. 

Deb and I were flying back to the UP of Michigan and you should've seen the poor TSA agent trying to search Abby, Deb's service dog. Everybody in line was watching quietly and Abby was happy expectant and the poor agent couldn't figure out what to do, all the hardware on Abby's service vest and harness had tripped the metal detector so he HAD to search her.

So there he is gently patting a mid sized long hair dog who's tail was wagging slowly. He looks up at us and apologizes to which I said, "Search harder she likes it and is waiting." The others in line watching all give a laugh but not at the poor agent and because I spoke Abby's tail wags a little harder. The agent reaches under her harness and her tail speeds up. Next thing he knows he's scratching her hard and her whole body is wagging. There were few things Abby liked better than to have someone scratch under her harness except maybe making a new friend.

When we reached the gate and the attendant boarding the plane told us Abby would have to ride in baggage about 150 people rounded on her. We already had seats at an emergency exit as required by law for service dog her size, even so, people were offering to change seats or asking if Abby couldn't fly by them. 

Abby was some sort of a magic soul, she radiated love where ever she went. I REALLY miss her but she'll be at the rainbow bridge with all her new friends and my past critters to throw a party. 

I've got to stop, Abby provided so many Kodak moments I'd be here all day talking about her.

Frosty The Lucky.

Abby's default expression.

Abbyssmile.JPG.5eeeadb9834a5c3ecb8116a30247b4c0.JPG