• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I once spent 89 days in Germany doing a computer installation and my German colleagues were horrified to find that I had not specified an automatic transmission when I rented a car over there.  They explained that I would get a standard one.  They had trouble believing that that is what I drove here in the USA as all the rental cars they had used here were automatics.  I explained that I drove whatever I found when I needed to get a different car.  And standard transmissions are an "anti theft device" out here too.  I guess car thieves are worried that they would end up killing the engine while the aggrieved owner ran out with their winchester nitro express. (AKA BIG BOOMSTICK)

Back when I lived just south of a "ritzy" historic district where nobody had any storage they used to trash their propane grills every fall; often with full tanks still attached!  Got 6 bbq tanks for free.  I refill as needed and do the exchange when I need to get a tank that's in the cert and then go and refill those as well.  Last time I read the exchange, it explicitly stated that they only did a 4/5 refill IIRC.  My refill dealer will just fill all my tanks sequentially and bill me for the total used.  Our kitchen stove is propane and my wife has the dealer come out and refill the large tank.  My bbq and 100# tanks I haul into town myself.

The place I get propane weighs your tank, subtracts what's in it and exchanges you a full one. That way they don't have to inspect your old tank. They're eliminating old out of spec tanks and nobody has to pay BlueRhino exchange prices. They will refill your tank if its current and in good condition if you want but . . . 

I salvaged two 100lb tanks from an abandoned mobile home for $10 and now have two certified ones in the shop. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The industrial surplus place was having a Saturday customer appreciation event, so I went and picked up a few items I had on hold. 

A rolling tool cabinet, to which someone had added additional storage on the side:

B4C2F3B3-B1E5-429E-87F3-A210FE5A2A49.thumb.jpeg.e6a19fc927abef8ab8eb74257df4ca03.jpeg

Not sure what was intended to go in here, but this should come in handy regardless:

E5F49813-76A5-4D18-8FCA-94C7633B4D78.thumb.jpeg.fd1d492e8138bb13f04fac694a63ded1.jpeg

A desk lamp with magnifier:

8DFF5CB4-854B-4CC2-808D-0C3273D7B135.thumb.jpeg.01d4759b93df85320a1897ae80b333b1.jpeg

And a rolling base which may or may not retain this form long-term:

D9239B47-D9EA-4A66-ABC9-935B3F3695CB.thumb.jpeg.9f4b77e3189b958a95d573355aa9ad27.jpeg

I pass along to all of you a greeting left under the rubber mat on top of the tool cabinet:

7011E3B6-73C1-4903-8C00-06BAA651A12B.thumb.jpeg.6a2f3cbe55bebb3c6114b985e11894de.jpeg

The side cabinet would work nicely for tongs. I had something like it in mind for a guy with a pickup truck mastermyr like traveling kit.

I will once again say I can't describe how lucky I don't live anywhere near that place!

Frosty The Lucky.

That’s actually a really interesting idea. I could probably keep the tooling in one of the drawers and reconfigure the side cabinet to hang up the larger components (base, swing arm, handle extensions, etc). 

I might even install a bracket for storing the post vise while the bender is in use.

They were clearing out a storage building at work and this appeared in the shop.  I asked them what they planned to do with it and without hesitation they asked me if I wanted it.  I just as quickly said yes. They will even loan me a forklift and trailer to get it home.  I'm pretty happy about it.  

20230328_095817.jpg

20230328_095829.jpg

Yea. Its a 30 ton press. It is a good base. I dont need the heaters or controls.  I think I have a phase inverter lying around to use the 3 phase motor. I'll need to modify the plates and make some dies. I should just need a spool valve.  I can relocate the pressure gage and completely eliminate the control box. Worst case I'll need a bigger pump and motor.  

"Hand building" at the rubber plant I worked for 50+ years ago used presses like that to do the primary cure making neoprene and silicone seals for aircraft ducting. The molds stacked in the 300f. press, and put under a set pressure for the required time, cooled and removed. The molds were washed and used again. IIRC the time was about 10-15 minutes. 

(summoned from half a century by my birch dented brain)

Frosty The Lucky.

Another rubber plant guy! Woo HOO someone else who's job was a built in straight line for smart Alecs! I made  rubber ducting for aircraft. It only LOOKED like vacuum cleaner flex hose but it was special, yes indeed S P E C I A L!

Frosty The Lucky.

Actually im a chemical plant guy. Our main product is epoxy floor coatings and some other epoxy products like casting resin and tabletop resin. We used to make our own line of floor grinding products but that broke off into a completely seperate company.