• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive seen a couple of big Buffalo blowers and a odd ball champion blower that had valves on the gearboxes, next time I’m over that way I’ll get some pictures, 

not really blacksmithing related but it did follow me home today, an older craftsman cast iron scroll saw with an old motor mounted on a cast iron stand, 

the guy that gave it to me is in his high 70s and it belonged to his father in law before that, 

im still researching to date it, the only exact match I found online they didn’t know their exact date either but placed it in the 1930s 626ED7FE-67BF-423B-994F-79E91281B510.thumb.jpeg.0ceb0010fc7bd0607afa4386c9dab705.jpeg24865C90-2465-4110-AAAC-1C09D8B07DDB.thumb.jpeg.35edd6ef1a631afe58e6b60a3de92eb4.jpeg1E9410AD-9FE2-4219-B3D2-C1A948C9F29D.thumb.jpeg.bf90e9c126c5ee20e0a9e97bf6d2281b.jpeg

DHarris, that’s the max fill level valve, the one on my blower, identical to yours, is missing also and had been replaced with a bolt by my uncle when he was using it back in the 40’s.
You should be able to find a replacement valve in one of the old style hardware stores where they have fittings for the older gas appliances. The old space heaters had valves like that also

Also keep an eye open when you go to the scrapyard,  I've recovered several over the years. always handy to have a spare!  I'd try a screw extractor to remove the piece left in.  Hopefully it was well oiled at one time!

Dax the cover of that type of blower usually has a "Fill with Oil till it comes out the petcock" sign on it; so some folks use oil in it.

(I was really tempted to use the term "crankcase"!)

Got a friend who has been welding up "yard art" and has been cutting off one of the ends of pickaxes.  I'll be hauling a load of scrap to the scrapyard tomorrow and can have as many of the cut off pieces as I can find.  I may have to make a set of hammer eye punches and drifts from them.

On 10/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, Les L said:

DHarris, that’s the max fill level valve, the one on my blower, identical to yours, is missing also and had been replaced with a bolt by my uncle when he was using it back in the 40’s.
::Snip::

On 10/25/2021 at 10:39 AM, ThomasPowers said:

::snip:: I'd try a screw extractor to remove the piece left in.  Hopefully it was well oiled at one time!

::snip::

I think I will go with a wing bolt.

Assuming I can remove the remaining piece, what are the odds the threads will match those of modern bolts?

If not, which would be easier for a novice to tap: the remaining brass piece or the cast iron of the gear box?

That should be pipe thread (tapered) I would guess 1/8 or 1/4 NPT. I would just get a plug and put it in the hole. 
I would take and warm up the area around the broken off piece then spray with penetrating oil, giving it time to cool and penetrate, do it a couple times then try to back it out.the cast iron should be good, you may need to dress the threads, but I doubt it. I’ve taken a torch and blown steel bolts out of cast housings without hurting the threads. 

JHCC, those look similar to the elevator rail brushes I use a lot, I think you will enjoy them. 

A buddy works at a beer distributor and set me up with a few goodies from his catch-all area in the back. Got a few kegs, a cart missing a wheel and some pallet racking. Looks like there is one more truck load to get. What I can’t repurpose I’ll scrap out and buy usable stock (or maybe beer).

Steve

8A8160FF-6E78-44DD-B565-8027F610AD40.jpeg

Had a brief visit to the scrapyard, sold around 1360 pounds of steel in from my friends "clean out the shop"  mission;  got US$68 of which my share was $30.  I did buy 11 pounds of steel: Large stainless spoon for the flux bucket, drive chain, some nuts and bolts and another piece of all thread for the next anvil stand. (It's never there when you need it and you are kicking pieces out of the way when you don't!) Picked up another dome headed RR bolt as I plan to do a session on making dishing hammers from them next month. A few other pieces I don't remember also came home with me.

My friend Ophei finally gave in to his wife about getting rid of a lot of his "collection". Some of you may have met him at Quad State. He doesn't smith, but he sees all the possibilities in what others call junk. He just gave me a really REALLY heavy truck spring that may end up as the face of an anvil. (I'm sorry, but "anvil shaped objects" once having been smitten to shape metal ARE anvils) and some plow points and a spring harrow and point. He also gave me some tree stands that were obviously repurposed from rebar and something that looks like easy outs, but I'm not sure what they are. I've cut off the rebar for billet handles or what ever. The points might be the better part. I haven't tested them yet. Does anyone recognize them?points.jpg.45d01fc8f9787b26baae1e540c6626ed.jpg

There has been a lot of mis-use of "Anvil Shaped Objects" lately. It does NOT apply to "improvised anvils";  but to the low grade cast iron anvils imported and sold cheaply---though now I am seeing them sold for much more lately---usually to people who don't know better!  I owned one back around 1982 and when forging coil spring on it; the FACE would dent more than the spring would when the hot spring was hit with the hammer!

I was around for the coining of the term ASO; please correct folks mis-using it!

Unfortunately, Trenton Tye misused the term in one of his videos a few years back, using "ASO" and "Anvil-Shaped Object" to refer to what we call an "improvised anvil". Thomas, maybe you can get Adlai to take it up with him.