• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have a TV; I believe that some episodes use coal forges with poor hand crank blowers on them---based on the comments I've read about it on IFI.  One of my students was on it; I turned down the invitation to be on it. (I don't need the publicity and I have some issues with how it's run.)

SWMBO took the hot spot to town for food shopping so I snuck out to the smithy and handled the spike lifter. It will be ready to go on the rack by the weekend---I'm running out of space though.  It may have to go on the armouring tools rack in the clean shop. I took an old handle removed from a sledge hammer, cut off the damaged part and rasped it down to fit. Slotted the end for the wood wedge and then two steel wedges 90 deg to the wooden one. Then flooded the end with BOL and painted my shop colour on it.

On 1/18/2021 at 8:03 PM, JHCC said:

I’ve got a message in to a college buddy who runs his school robotics team. He definitely wants them for their machine shop, and I’m happy to give him and his students a good deal. 

Just a quick follow-up: my friend reached out to the robotics booster club about underwriting the purchase of the shim set, but decided to go ahead with it even if they don't have the money (he paid me out of his own pocket). So, those went off in the mail a couple of days ago (along with some wrought iron coupons for IFI member Chimaera, but that's another story). I promptly invested the proceeds in some more tools and a book, which I will post here as they arrive.

16 hours ago, natkova said:

Well in show I saw they use gas forge at home probably when they forge project could be coal, but in their workshop of TV is gas forge

Some episodes have the contestants using coal forges and some of the guys use coal at home. Propane forges are pretty efficient and effective though there are down sides. Propane forges heat everything even close to them where a coal fire can be localized to a small area. 

Both types of forge have plusses and minuses. 

Yes, what you see most on Forged In Fire are propane forges and I'd opine that most of the contestants use propane at home by the whining and confusion you hear from contestants when hand cranked coal forges are used.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thomas, cant blame you for not wanting the publicity i like to stay low key myself. 

I used to watch that show until it seemed everything they did was canister damascus. When it first aired they did things like here is a car, salvage your metal from it and make a knife. Now it is here is some ball bearing and a can make a blade. Or here is some XXXX steel to be combined with XXXX steel, make a blade. I liked it better with the salvaged steel becuase then the smith had to have some knowledge of what different steels are used for. 

I did however enjoy the few shows during the fall where the judges challenged each other. Each one was given 2 weeks at home to make a blade. Kind of cool seeing where they work and the like. 

I am honestly surprised the show is still on. 

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

I'd opine that most of the contestants use propane at home by the whining and confusion you hear from contestants when hand cranked coal forges are used.

Except the grumpy old timers who shrug and say, “I forge with coal all the time. What’s the problem?”