I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I only related my experience using too narrow band saw blade as an example of what you can expect using a too narrow blade. 

I forgot to look at the blade when I was in the shop so I can't say which of these two I bought my blades from, "Global Industrial DOT com" or "Sawblade DOT com".

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These arrived in the mail today: a dozen round hammer wedges.

D8FB97C2-B68D-4842-875B-87D4B32FBEB6.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

"Global Industrial DOT com" or "Sawblade DOT com"

The first doesn't seem to carry 60" blades, but the pricing from the second looks good. Thanks for the tip.

You can mention sites by name like I did yesterday regarding online saw blade suppliers. Interested folk can look them up easily enough from the name and Glenn doesn't have to provide free advertising. 

Frosty The Lucky.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, Chris C said:

Sounds like a plan to me! ;)

as promised I tested my anvil and I get more than 90% rebound with an inch diameter steel ball. I also found a punch on the hardie cut that is the Peddinghaus  gear logo. overall I'm very pleased of my new toy!!!

PhotoCollage_20200524_171303192.thumb.jpg.7e14eee757ebd8efabc3e494b8329a70.jpgBeautiful anvil loneronin. Grabbed this 112 lb nc tool calvary anvil with stand, a few hardy tools and a portable bandsaw with a few extra blades. Got the anvil for my son to use but dont think I wont use it. I love my mousehole and will continue to be my main anvil but the thinner heel on the new anvil will come in handy along with the turning cams and a nice square hardy. My mousehole also doesn't have a pritchel hole.PhotoCollage_20200524_171626282.thumb.jpg.24d92fddcee69933669a6350529a7de0.jpg

I took some dirt from an above ground garden bed that I'm removing out to my mom's farm. We were driving past one of the many out buildings and my son asked what was in it. When I told him it was a couple of old cars he wanted to see them. So after unloading the dirt we stopped and looked in the building. A late 70's bronco and a Mercury Montego were classics in that particular barn. But while I was in there I spotted this band saw. And called my mom's husband to ask for it immediately. I can't believe I lived across the road from this saw for 5 years and never saw it!  D64C5F4F-CF44-404D-A35A-5B9D8363E2F3.jpeg.c041d6d1bbc5a9a3ec63135eae39bca7.jpeg

66DB60BC-11E9-4455-9E66-083F7AE049D1.jpeg.928bb3a104c52dc864ba18eba44d8d2f.jpeg

292FC237-8681-4AB6-BC30-C1AAD8B2652A.jpeg.d6bf1e7ccf0c900da0c6f21f95c42ce7.jpeg

67C1DA37-BB97-4BB9-B3E2-4ED05B80AD49.jpeg.7be41b7e5c4e31b5da86729c93a1a2d1.jpeg

There's also a massive coal forge with electric blower and chimney sitting in there. But I don't have room for that toy at my current house.....

(I did ask.... And no the anvil is no where around)

Man, THAT's a keeper for sure.  About a hundred years ago in another life, I had the same one.  Take it all apart and clean it up like a new one and it'll serve you for many,  many moons.

I agree Dick, I wonder if it ever occurred where throw bristles were going to poke holes in him. 

Loneronin: Moving a disk grinder, wire brush, etc. around fast isn't necessary, the motor does the work. In fact swinging a cup brush around wildly like that is a good way to catch an edge and have to pick steel wires out of your :o privates. 

It's a beautiful anvil, congratulations.

Frosty The Lucky.

I have that same band saw and it's a real workhorse, been working very well for the past 40 years. A hint though, pull the cover off the gear box and check the grease, after about 20 years mine became dried out and I had to re-grease it. The only other problem I had was the handle for the vise broke and I had to make another last year. I've lost count on how many blades I've gone through.

100_2033-1.thumb.jpg.9397adecac3ae5a31db16be6d34b032f.jpg

I've picked so many wires out of my hid I sometimes wish I'd saved them to weld up a billet. I have a heavy duty split moose hide apron I wear when I need armor, it's taken a couple fragmenting 9" grinding disks without a mark to it or much of a hit to me. Love that apron but MAN it's heavy. 

So, after going on and on about how dangerous wire wheels are I was doing a little touch up on a split cross, maybe 30 seconds if that. So, the straight brush naturally catches between the cross and the vise's jaws and there I am. After all the dire warnings about how dangerous the things are and I'm running mine without gloves or apron. 

Picked 3 bristles out of the back of my left hand for that one. 

Teach me to ignore my own self.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

A hint though, pull the cover off the gear box and check the grease, after about 20 years mine became dried out and I had to re-grease it.

Thanks for the tip, I'll do that. The only issue besides a little bit of rust on this one is the blade tensioner knob is broken. But that's an easy fix and well worth the price!  (It was free!)

Chris, Dick, Frosty, thanks for your comments, congratulations and advice. I have some shirts with small and big burned holes and I also have a leather apron but it was too hot when I cleaned it up so I decided to go "light" and get some sparks and few wire punctures... I know I'm not wise. I've never been.

You're an adult and it's your shop, we aren't going to come down and slap you around but there are a lot of guys who don't have much if any experience or basic knowledge necessary to use most tools safely. We're big on safety.

About the not very wise thing. The day after I posted all the dire warnings about wire wheels I was doing a LITTLE clean up of a Fredrics cross. Maybe 110-30 seconds with the straight brush, 4 1/2" disk grinder. I have half a dozen with different blades, brushes, etc, they're on my buy it list at yard, garage, etc. sales. Anyway the brush caught between the cross and vise jaw, gave a good jerk and I got to pick 3 bristles out of the back of my left hand. 

Did they go through my leather gloves? Deflected by my apron? Nope, it was just a little touch up I was wearing safety glasses and face shield but my gloves were literally on the tool table fo the vise stand Inches away. 

My Father had sayings he repeated so often Shannon and I got sick to death of hearing them but, "Familiarity breeds contempt," is as true as anything I know. Fortunately the reminder only stung and bled a little. 

My bad, no excuse. 

Frosty The Lucky.

For years I have been driving past this place with 2 post vises sitting out in the elements, I finally saw someone home so I asked about them. Immediately he said they weren't for sale but after I said I was a beginner blacksmith he said I could have the small one for $50! I haven't looked it over much yet but the threads seem to be in good shape.

I'm trying to upload photos but am having issues