Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

I believe most Sencos have oil lube.  Which is good.  But the 1.75 hp claim is a lie worthy of Craftsman.  More like half a horse real hp, 3/4 at best.  Read the amperage required and you can do the math yourself.

5 cfm at 90 psi from a 1.75hp sounds about right. Makes a change seeing a company advertising the actual air delivered rather that the free air delivered.  Free air from a 1.75hp would be about 7 cfm so I can well believe 5 cfm at 90 psi. 

It's been a while since I've been on but my dad brought me in a few things. A new post Visa, 4 inch jars maybe 4 ½, cant remember. Its painted fire engine red and smells like an old barn. A nice heavy duty table saw. Its older and all metal but its rust free. Lastly a big old work bench. It's got like a 6x6 table top. Maybe bigger, with one vise on each corner. Only have pictures of the table and a vise that's on it. I'll post more of the other tomorrow. 

20191228_152615.jpg

20191228_152623.jpg

Yeah, I've been in need of a large flat work area. The table top probably weighs 250 pounds or more. Its gonna get its use. I just couldnt believe it came with four of those vises. It was just given to my dad for me.

Almost forgot I got an oxy acetylene setup as well. Old tanks but new hose and two torches with it. Already set it up and massacred a few pieces of defenseless metal. Lol

Be gentle with those wood working vises as they tend to be fairly light cast iron---and you have a postvise to wallop stuff on!

I forgot where the post was but I promised a pic of the "improvised hardy holes" I drag home from the scrapyard. It's missing the cat piece I had mentioned---went out the door already to help out a fellow setting up a shop for armouring and it's missing the piece with the 4 1.5" sq holes as it's under the large postvise holding the acorn stable.

806970298_improvisedHardyHoles(2).jpg.c954989340c45ff1c5d4b983da36620f.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's what it was. The guy my dad got it from got the table top from a school and built the bottom/shelves. The whole thing is sturdy as can be.

Thanks for the advice about the vises thomas. Definitely won't be used for anything heavy. I just like that they have the little flap that pushes up and the table has round holes drilled to put stops or holds or whatever they are called. Will be convenient for doing woodwork.

Not sure if anyone remembersees the draw knife accident I had but it wouldn't have happened if I had the proper vise. Well, it wasn't just the vises fault but proper gear calls for proper technique.

Draw knives and froes are designed to keep your hands away from the sharp edges in use---why I gave a set of them to a set of my grandkids.  It was about time they learned to build fires  for camping and cookouts; but I sure didn't think they were ready for a hatchet or camp knife!

Well I just had a rather high iron diet for lunch, the TPAAAT seems to be working for me even when I'm not actively using it.  Found 3 triphammers a couple blocks from where I work and then was shown a pile of old smithing equipment they want to get rid of---possibly.   May spend a busy weekend cleaning out the space if we can agree on a deal.

blacksmithpile0.thumb.jpg.d815ab805d4c970745aa914ad403f35f.jpg

blacksmithpile1.thumb.jpg.dfd87715b90700e648b47621b465a80a.jpg

blacksmithpile2.thumb.jpg.2d50d74b12bd5e9f06068ee7f95c595a.jpgblacksmithpile3.thumb.jpg.ed886ef114aa1f8307fe1317c325072e.jpg

My wife went with me so the arrival of it won't have to be late at night when she's asleep---if I can make a deal where I can sleep peacefully but not in peace!

This all started because one of my friends at church knew I was interested in smithing...and she knew someone who wants the storage unit cleaned out that had a lot of smithing stuff in it.   

Perhaps my planned carport shop addition needs to have walls after all---I still have a spare roll up door!  If I get it; a lot will go to new smiths I know.  (The owner was worried that I might not be interested as they want to keep one of the anvils---probably the smaller one, as I am anvil'd up that was fine by me!)

Talk about "cherry pie and ice cream" all in one pile!  What a treasure trove, Thomas.  I can see at least 5 or 6 or 7........ no 8 things in that pile of stuff I'd sure like to have sittin' in my shop!  Maybe even more! :lol:  What a find.