Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/8/2019 at 3:02 PM, SLAG said:

Could you p.m. me with the name and author of the 'instant pot curry" cook book you allude to.

Urvashi Pitre "Indian Instant Pot Cookbook." This is too good not to share further. I utilize an off-brand cooker, but the recipes come out great. 

ISBN-10 1939754542
ISBN-13 978-1939754547

What is an "Indian Instant Pot?" :huh:

2 hours ago, 671jungle said:

what is eet? when pin slides in it forces the clamp close

I don't know what kind of clamp it is but the wedge says it's for serious squeezin. What characters do I see cast on it?  (?) AO 747 . . ? on the wedge I think and CMC maybe  on one of the jaws? Is there a patent or model # somewhere? 

Pretty darned cool find.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 minutes ago, Frosty said:

What is an "Indian Instant Pot?:huh:

“Instant Pot” is the brand name for a popular multifunction cooker, essentially a combination electric sauté pan, pressure cooker, and slow cooker. Basically a combination gas forge, computerized heat-treatment oven, and molten salt pot for the kitchen. 

Slag,

My wife is from Thailand so curry is a staple at our home.  Main difference between Indian style curries and Thai is dry versus paste. India uses more dried powdered spices and Thai prefer paste based spices, generally premixed for the particular curry desired.  Not only does this fit in the current conversation, she also followed me home.

Mr. K. Wonder,

Good to hear from you.

You two, look like a marvelous couple.

please take good care of her, she is a long way from home.

Marg and I cook many  cuisines. But primarily Asian, Southeast Asian, Sri Lanka, India, China etc.

Malaysian, Indonesian, Penang, and Singapore are favorites.

Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are here in St. Louis so we do other cuisines.

You are right about the differing styles of curries. S. E. Asian, (pastes predominate in the dishes that we cook).

But both spice mixture types  (called karies), are ground and then fried before use.

Indian food differs dramatically from one region to another. Most folks have not tried South Indian dishes which somewhat resemble S. E. Asian spice mixtures.(And coconut milk is used instead of clarified butter, (ghee) ).

Indonesian food changes every fifteen miles. There are about 15,000 islands in Indonesia, which makes for a lot of styles of cooking. Wonderful cooking.

Where in 'Pennsyltucky' are you situated? Perhaps all four of us will meet and have a feast.

Regards,

SLAG.

Where in Thailand did you live? I just bought Bush's The Food of Northern Thailand. I doubt that any restaurant serves that cuisine. So we are on our own.

We may have to continue our conversation by p.m.  I suspect that Glenn may be getting a little testy.

You guys talking about food out there trying to curry interest or something? Don't worry, Glenn eats too and I'm sure he gets tasty, he does he gets it.

I think there's a recipe section even though may be long inactive. 

Frosty The Lucky.

It was interesting recently when we took one of my wife's local spinning students up to Albuquerque for a formal Tea and introduced her to Northern Indian cooking for lunch...(as well as going to the used book store...)

I once had a great goat satay in Jakarta as well as adding to my carnivore life list at an upscale "grill" later that trip.

But did you *try*?  I avoided the US chain restaurants and would eat at the work cafeteria or go out with the local engineers---once they learned that I did NOT want to eat stuff I could get at home.  I got introduced to fresh Durian that way---made friends with others who *like* it and even introduced my wife to it when I got back---she liked it too.

My neighbor is a Thai owner/chef who moved from his 20 year and going restaurant in  South Pasadena to try to bring his style to the East.  Our neighborhood cookouts improved dramatically since this past summer.

Back to my purpose....  my mechanic has been cleaning his shop (two 30 yard dumpsters so far) because he is selling his shop to another family of mechanics.  He stopped by my house to deliver me some new old stock leaf springs!  Somehow the photo is dark but you can see them still with the tag still on them.

A17823A1-4347-4027-90C1-9027FE3AC6A9.thumb.jpeg.d323dbcf094669f140482aa40a62fdbd.jpeg

Ahhh!,

Thomas,

you are indeed a citizen of the world.

Not many occidental types would get close to a durian,  let alone get past the mal-odor and give it a try.

It's worth it.

The taste is divine and unlike any other fruit on this planet.

Tonight Marg the marvelous and I get to enjoy spaghetti with meat sauce.  (I've been distracted with other things, today).

Dr. Lou great find, I know that you will find a wonderful use for it.

SLAG.

14 hours ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

It's called Vulcans Grill, in the Articles section. Kinda hard to find but has some great recipe ideas. Takes a lot of scrolling to get to it. Maybe Glenn could move it to Everything Else, just an idea.

Staff note:  Good idea

Vulcans Grill now has it's own section in Misc. Discussions. Who says the Admin dosen't listen to us.

Thank you Glenn.

This entire conversation has made me hungry and inspired me to go out to my neighbor’s new restaurant as I haven’t been there yet.  He told me that he put khao soi on the menu.  Khao soi (Thai coconut soup) with a heap of chili seeds in oil is my jam!