• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stopped by the local fleamarket today to buy some oranges and found a truncated bullpin to add to this weekends flea market finds; got a picture too.  US$5 total for the below items. The tongs have shortened reins---I have a similar pair I use for picking stuff off the floor at the end of the day when the ground has receded past easy reach.   But with the short reins they will be perfect for holding one of my S1 tools made from pharmaceutical punches, (I had another one dedicated to holding a hot cut till a student hit it with a sledge---the tongs not the hot cut...they now only get the fabbed holder to use.)

I'm thinking of dedicating the bullpin to bottle openers---permanently marking the correct diameter on it and forging a punch to match the smaller diameter.  (Teaching means they need to do some work on the piece to learn how steel and tools work.)

fleamarket20190310.jpg.322b343a4764add5a51b4f2c63d2e8bd.jpg

Got this blower after work today. Buffalo No. 2 EH. CL find. 

Its smooth and quiet. Not as quiet as my little dayton but will push more air. Now to find out If the non-original motor can be adjustable and what to get to do that. I tried it with my variable speed router box from HF that I use for the Dayton and even at the lowest setting barely decreased the power. Where as with the Dayton, half way up is lowest it will run. 20190312_204031.thumb.jpg.1eef5ef08e0dc7c91bc5ab1f3bb1c1e1.jpg20190312_204014.thumb.jpg.6f690fe4a7eb4389141c2c98d9741b4c.jpg20190312_203956.thumb.jpg.dccd66eb972e8482b7043646043a0cc6.jpg

Perhaps you did not understand me or my explanation was poor. If your blower in your first picture was running full speed and you put your hand over the intake hole, no air comes out the output hole. If you barely moved your fingers apart, covering the air intake, a controlled amount goes out the output hole. The motor always runs full speed. I would suppose most electric motors, that have openings and are not fully enclosed, have an internal fan for cooling. They cool better at full speed. Ever block a shop vac hose with something? The motor speeds up because it is under less load. When the hose opening is unblocked, the motor slows down because it is under full load. Ever get a drill motor very hot from turning slow speed with an extra high load, the fan wasn’t turning fast enough to get rid of the heat. That looks like a very nice blower unit. In my opinion, controlling the intake is the best way to control the output. My 2 cents worth, your mileage may vary.

Duck, I believe I understand. While I did cover the output to check , and the motor does run continuous full speed,  the motor itself has no air openings, just oil inlets for the bearings.  I do know of the cordless drill issue as I just burned one up like that. Perhaps an air gate will work well with this. Im just used to a switch to turn. 

The local recycle center in Park City has a full size dumpster dedicated to metal that they leave open 24hrs. I get most of my material here. Here are just a few of the treasures (depending who you ask) that I foster.

The railroad anvil was given to me as a 6' piece I believe it read 1912? The other half of the # is lodged in the base of the stump. 

The chain I believe is from a giant plow or truck. all one piece, it is close to #75 if not more. It was left at the dumpsters base in a milk crate. Probably too heavy to lift.

The stainless wire was bought for $4 dollars at the recycle center.

2"x2" square tube from weld shop scrap bin in SLC.

Springs, helium tanks, solid L shaped thing with holes, vice, and coffee can full of them nails all found in dumpster among many others.

Giant drum I also pulled out (super sketchy) weighs a lot! Kudos to whoever lifted it up in there. It is much heavier than the chain. Not sure what it will be, but it's METAL!

I will try to remember to get a shot of this place next time I'm there. It's pretty awesome!

Judy

0312192015b.jpg

0312192023a.jpg

0312191920b.jpg

0312191921c.jpg

0312192013.jpg

0312192014a.jpg

0312192015a.jpg

12 hours ago, Daswulf said:

coal

I have never worked with coal. When I was getting started coal was where I was leaning. But we have air quality issues Here in SLC so I figured I wouldn't contribute. 

One of these days I will have to work on one. For tradition sake!

12 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

671 jungle, the adjustable trailer hitch will make a spiffy bending jig. I have a couple myself.

Can you show me your setup? That is what I was thinking but haven't looked at any plans yet, I would to get some insight.

Propane does seem to be the cheapest stealth fuel for smithing---induction is better still but the start up cost is high.  I don't have air quality issues but we have draconic fire restrictions; so often a propane forge is the only one with a possibility of being allowed on a campout or at a medieval event.

Camping without a campfire is just *wrong*!

I agree Thomas. It would be very sad to go camping and not even have a small campfire. 

26 minutes ago, 671jungle said:

For tradition sake!

Well, forging with lump charcoal would be even more traditional. 

And it seems to be cleaner burning than coal.

The stuff I got yesterday, all for $40. Haven't counted how many files but there's about 50 of them, most of them are in good shape just a little rust. Most of them are USA made, some Nicholson, Black Diamond and a few other's I can't remember. So I've got a nice assortment of files now. Plus some different sizes of monkey wrenches, a few Ford wrenches and some pipe wrenches.

You were right Das, James sure is a talker. He showed me around his shed and garages and told me about the Steam and horse show or something they have up there. Said their's people selling stuff all along the National Pike. I'm gonna look into it and probably come up try and score some hammers.

2019-03-13-5.thumb.jpg.87c97dc01ddd4cb4c30c03986581818a.jpg

2019-03-13-3.thumb.jpg.a37668ad5ccbd559c98aede260922a6d.jpg

2019-03-13-2.thumb.jpg.32aefd3d66f1aa20deb1d8f5377d5bf3.jpg