• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Start with an informal get-together for lunch or coffee, which is a great way to get to know each other without the pressure of dinner and a movie. Listen more than you talk. Respect the anvil's boundaries, and don't try to take things too far to fast. If it's right, you'll both know.

So I brought this home, had it sand blasted, then repaired a 4" crack on the back top of the slide and made up a new 45 degree lower end corner of the slide, corner that had been busted out. Previous welding on the fixed body where the lower jaw meets the body, on each side, looked like clay had been smudged on. Not a weld form I've seen before - very wide weld likes, about 1/2" wide 'smudge'. Ground that off a bit. Same type of welding on the lock bolt  where the top/base meets the screw, which had the old top/base welded to the top of a bolt head. Filled the spaces and cleaned that up. Fun time.

Vice-before-cleaning.jpg

vice-fresh1.jpg

Vice-freshplus2.jpg

Vice-freshplus3.jpg

Vice-freshplus6.jpg

Vice-freshplus8.jpg

Vice-x.jpg

vice-yellow3.jpg

vice-yellow1.jpg

34 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Start with an informal get-together for lunch or coffee, which is a great way to get to know each other without the pressure of dinner and a movie. Listen more than you talk. Respect the anvil's boundaries, and don't try to take things too far to fast. If it's right, you'll both know.

We are definitely on The Love Connection :)

About 8-10 feet of twisty rebar picked up from the side of the road on the way to the airport, a 6 lb or so lead sash weight that was given to me by someone I was meeting with on other business, and the obligatory note from the TSA. 

AABEF814-25FD-4407-96E5-AA7EB110EAEF.jpeg

(The rest of the scrap was already in the car.)

I'm planning on setting up a small forge this fall, after all the fun summer kid events/distractions. Have to do some reading. I'd like to make something long enough for about 3-4 feet lengths.

I don't think the font sizing is working for me here . . . I'm using 14 and I still need my telefocals.

12 minutes ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

JHCC, I too have found that if you keep a little scrap in the vehicle that it helps to attract more to you....

That't a good one, made me smile.

Gotta tell us more about what you want to do.  You can forge a 3' sword in a forge with a 6" hot zone but doing an even twist on a 3' baluster of 1" steel may take a sizable heated section.  Will your forge be burning: wood, charcoal, peat, lignite, bituminous coal, anthracite, natural gas, propane, electricity? What tools/skills do you have or can access?

Details!----Like on my computer all I have to do is ctrl+ to get the font to expand, I'm running  Chrome on Windows 10 and on KUBUNTU Plasma of course ctrl- shrinks it.

A good day! The stone is from a trip to the local landfill to make a deposit, and the steel is from a logging companies scrap pile. They use 2" 4140 for stakes, And the bent ones get thrown in the bone pile!20180510_200141.thumb.jpg.f7db651026cacc89c9f4d997c623e9e0.jpg

1 hour ago, JDC said:

I don't think the font sizing is working for me here . . . I'm using 14 and I still need my telefocals.

Try ctrl + and enlarge the  size in the window. Every once in a while Iforge will revert itself to some tiny little screen size and I can't read anything. Ctrl + works till I find where I can change the view size in the setting.

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Gotta tell us more about what you want to do.  You can forge a 3' sword in a forge with a 6" hot zone but doing an even twist on a 3' baluster of 1" steel may take a sizable heated section.  Will your forge be burning: wood, charcoal, peat, lignite, bituminous coal, anthracite, natural gas, propane, electricity? What tools/skills do you have or can access?

Details!----Like on my computer all I have to do is ctrl+ to get the font to expand, I'm running  Chrome on Windows 10 and on KUBUNTU Plasma of course ctrl- shrinks it.

Yes, at this time my thoughts are pretty general and still in the clouds. I'd most likely be using some type of gas. I'm thinking of building the forge, but that could change as I get into the meat of the subject. I did see a gas forge for sale, it appears to be about the size of a 55 gal drum. The owner said it's too big for what he needs now. I don't know enough about forges to have a clear idea of what I'd need or would work well. Those ideas will come this summer and fall as I get time to do the homework, in-between visiting the kids and other obligations.

I'm looking forward to the research.

I received some 1/2" ball bearing this morning, and was disappointed in the ball bearing drop test on the Trenton. Maybe about 50% rebound. So I took out a few older, small blacksmith ball-peen hammers to test rebound. Three of the 4 did poorly. One of the hammers had very nice rebound. I'm going to look for a more scientific method to test the hardness. If I use the 'edge' of one of the hammers face, and do a small whack, it will leave a very small edge indent. So I'm questioning the greater and also central portion of the anvils hardness. By visual appearance, the anvil seems in pretty good shape for it's age, and it has just a very shallow saddle, about 1/16th inch. The shoulders have some rounding, and gauging on my very new experience of owning an anvil, I'd say mild rounding.

Large gas forges are costly to run---it's like buying a dump truck as your daily commuter car because once or twice a year you need to haul gravel for the driveway.

If the face of the anvil is CLEAN then that rebound is suspicious.  (also check the ball bearing to make sure it's properly hardened, I've know folks to buy steel spheres for ornamental ironwork thinking they would do but they are dead soft too!) As anvils tended to be used in wooden structures here in the USA, fires were not unknown and could draw the temper of an anvil to quite soft.

All good Hans, like having a tee party with your daughters or grand daughters, catering to a good womans sense of style is an act of strength. A lesser man would bow to fear of embarrassment, while a great man reminds you that he one hands a 16# sledge and gets up after being kicked buy a ton and a half of horse. The lesser men generaly get the point, risk the ire of a real man or his wife, at your own peril. 

You do need to do somthing about those come comertial hangers tho.

My dear Charles, thanks for the kind words. Indeed to please the ladies is one of the most important duty’s we have. Have my hands full on the ‘big chief and my daughter’ and don’t even think of grandchild’s.

Regarding the commercial hangers, it’s all about corrosion, and the free hanging garden decoration around it it’s all hand made.