• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i got free pick from a truck spring service guy's scrap bin.  i got a full set of leaf springs and a u-bolt for 0$.  and i also got a contact if i ever need to use an oxy acetalyne or a 100 ton hydraulic press! 

The biggest help my spelling has ever received is getting married and having my wife go over my college papers before submitting them---I was doing my second degree she had no degree but could spell and use grammar...The second biggest is using a browser spell check; but as I have just traded up work computers I'm having to add in all the smithing and armour words to its dictionary.

After struggling with this for 45 years, I found out that dyslexia is a spectrum disorder. Of the symptoms I have are, spelling, right/left, multiplication (I can't remember the multiplication tables, and other then a few tricks I learned in special ed I do a lot of long chain addition), phone # (any group of # realy) passwords... 

basic was fun... "right face!" Yep give me east, west, north or south please!

I am not very good with math. But I used to manage a Subway sandwich store and it was a challenge, but my numbers were always good. Charles, you are a very knowledgeable man. I look forward to whatever you have to say. I agree with Slag. Your contributions here are priceless and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

On another note, I went to check about another anvil today. Didn't pan out but that's ok. The trip to town wasn't a waste. I went to an antique store that I have never been to called Cooks Mercantile. Loved the name and the wagon wheels out front. Anyway, he has more tools than any place I have seen around here. This little bit came home with me.

image.jpeg

In part, having to decipher all the creative spelling and grammar on the list, Charles isn't the only poster needing translation to a known language by a LONG shot. Oh the point of the sentence, it makes us use our brains to figure out what's being said then we get to figure out what they mean. This is an excellent exercise in reading comprehension. Charles always has something valuable to say so it's worth the effort.

17 hours ago, JHCC said:

The IFI community guidelines say nothing about correct grammar, spelling, or punctuation. If Glenn ever decides they should, it's goin' down! ;) 

If Glenn tried that the first person he's have to edit out is himself. That's got to be one of the "hoots of the DAY!" Good one John.

Frosty The Lucky.

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

If Glenn tried that the first person he's have to edit out is himself.

That's "...he'd have to..." -- contraction of "he would": proper use of the subjunctive in the apodosis (consequent) of a conditional sentence. Also, you left out the comma after "that".

;) 

The thought being conveyed is most important. The method of transferring the information is secondary. A good video with no sound track, or a sound track in a foreign language is still a good learning tool. You do not need words, just watch what is happening.

Between fat fingers, small keys, and trying to capture the thought in words before it vanishes, there can be some interesting results. Throw in misspellings, not being able to think of the *right* word, and then doing a work a round for the explanation, adds another level of interest.

Putting a period at the end of one sentence and starting the new sentence with a capitol letter is like a traffic signal saying stop and go. Breaking the whole post down into paragraphs rather then one long run on sentence, allows us to separate and to follow your thoughts.  

I will leave the English syntax and punctuation for others.

You do your best to convey the information and we will do our best to decipher and understand what you are saying or what you meant. If there are questions, then we can ask you to say it again using different words, or show us a picture ( the universal language).

Goat lady, that looks to be a pretty hefty cross pein, I would consider putting an armpit length handle (cut down hoe?) on it and use it for your personal sledge. The other hammer is a body hammer with what looks like  a concreat form stake for a handle. All to often they are cast iron, one of the welders will be able to tell from the weld

As to my spelling, even I can't read what I write sometimes.  

My car drove me to the scrapyard, I really not intended to go there :) While I was there I thought it worth a look around. I need nothing anyways so only a quick screening...

Well, almost like that... I came out with 240 lbs/110kg scrap steel and 114lbs/52kg machinist vise. 

The vise is the big brother of my actual heavy duty machinist vise - and it is taking its place when the jaws are restored.

I was very happy to find these ball shaped items, as I need some more texturing tools for the PH and couldn't find any big sphere shapes. The biggest is around 4" dia. 

Bests:

Gergely

2017 09 gombocok.jpg

2017 09 satu nagy testver.jpg

Mr. Stevens

Thank you for the feedback. The cross pein looks bigger in the picture than it is. It's probably a 2 pounder. It feels real comfortable except the handle needs to be flattened. Or just a new handle period. Also needs to be dressed badly. I don't mind the work on it. I thought the green handled hammer was probably an auto body hammer. I didn't know they were cast though. It just caught my eye and was labeled "homemade hammer". Pretty small head on it. Unless you think the cross pein wouldn't be good for anything but a sledge? I'm good with whatever you think. And ditto on what Irondragon Forge & Clay said above.

1 minute ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Also needs to be dressed badly.

Looks to me like it needs to be dressed well!

Seriously, a nice 2 lb. cross peen will do you just fine for most general forging. Cleaned up and properly hafted, it will serve you well. 

Hey now I once welded up a pattern welded billet using a claw hammer, a chunk of rail and charcoal sieved out of the old 4th of July bonfires out in the desert...more of a "what was available" situation than what is "good"...I plan to weld up with a stone hammer someday and using a rock as an anvil---just for bragging rights and to continue the fight against the folks saying you need a fancy expensive set up to do smithing!

Thank you Mr. Stevens. Will do! 

Mr. Powers...Forgive me sir! I did not mean to impune the worth of a claw or ball  pein hammer! We just have several in different sizes already. I was going to use a large ball pein myself but we had a 2# cross pein that I have been using. I really like the feel of the one I bought above. It has natural balance forward. Funny how you can become addicted to acquiring hammers, tools, and "junk" metal. I used to get onto Tommie for buying or bringing home stuff. Now I tell him to do it. He is fine and dandy with that! And I look forward to your Stone Age forges. No  doubt you can do it! Agreed you don't need fancy equipment. I think that applies to anything we do in life. Nice to have, but not needed. I apologize for the long winded post!

There was a project that required a 55 gallon steel drum in good condition. Where are all the 55 gallon drums when you need one? 

Then I remembered the thread on IFI called GTTS Go To The Source. Sure enough one phone call and the fellow was kind enough to load 3 steel and 2 plastic 55 gallon drums onto the truck for me.

The next project required a couple of wooden pallets, and on the way home with the drums, I drove past several sources for pallets. Had to drop off the drums and go back for the pallets. First place I stopped, the fellow and a helper loaded 19 wooden pallets on the truck and THANKED ME for taking them. 

GTTS Go To The Source works.

I stopped by the steel supplier this morning to get some 1/4" round and noticed a lot pieces of heavy pallet strapping lying around on the floor. Asked the nice lady in the office if I could have some, and she said "Oh, I'll PAY you to take them!"

Unfortunately, she was only kidding, but I did walk out with a big handful for free. Now to find some bandsaw blades....