I Forge Iron

It followed me home

7 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

Search YouTube for 'chain link weaving machine 1" mesh' and you'll see the easy part of my job. I tried to put a link but I'm messing it up I guess. Anyway, the weaving blade is shown at about 20 seconds in and is located in the bottom left and is spinning violently fast.

Here it is: https://youtu.be/E3LnjVXTfXc

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I did it the video tried to embed in the post, that might've been my problem. Next time I'll tell it just to do the link. I just quit fighting with it cause I'm exhausted after the long weekend where I found myself moving furniture and doing a bunch of riding around for get togethers and everything else. I need some shop time, it's been a month since I was last able to light a fire. Of course part of that is because I haven't had any fuel for the forge follow me home recently.

This hasn't and probably won't follow me home but I thought I'd show a picture anyway. I was wondering if anyone else would see what I see when I look at it. You might call it an excercise of the mind, can you think outside the box to see what it is capable of being when I say it's a piece of high dollar machine and serves little function on said machine. I don't think dimensions are all that necessary but if you must know it's 8.5" long by 1.25" tall.

image.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Michael Cochran said:

This hasn't and probably won't follow me home but I thought I'd show a picture anyway. I was wondering if anyone else would see what I see when I look at it. You might call it an excercise of the mind, can you think outside the box to see what it is capable of being when I say it's a piece of high dollar machine and serves little function on said machine. I don't think dimensions are all that necessary but if you must know it's 8.5" long by 1.25" tall.

Combination Bowie knife and nail header?

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Combination Bowie knife and nail header?

That's not what I saw but I refuse to say it's a wrong answer. I'm not going to say just yet what I did see because I want to see what others have to say. I did see a nail header when I saw this other piece. If you just tapped the holes and used bolts to fit then you could swap the nail size without swapping the whole tool. And if you played your cards right you could get two headers out of the one piece. 

image.jpeg

How many of the finger thingies can you salvage? I see fingers on a sculpture hand, Halloween or . . . something vaguely humanoid. they'd be easy to make articulated fingers with.

The second piece could become a multi use header pretty easily. If you decide to thread it you'll need the heading dies to bottom out on a flange or the threads will probably fail before you're ready to retire it. Of course if we were talking demon hands this would make nice meta carpals and meta tarsals. A demon sculpture needs feet too so why not tapping a toe in time to music?

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, like Frosty asked, how many can you source? Love the idea Frosty. 

For the second one I like the nail header idea. 

Funny enough for the first one I was thinking a karambit at first glance, depending what steel it's made of. 

Now Frosty has me thinking. If you have 2 could make great rabbit ears, Wing parts, A tail, Horns, insect legs, a really crazy spine, and the list goes on the more I look at it.  

On 9/9/2016 at 0:52 AM, wonkydog said:

my brother found this for me and now I need to find room in the shop. marks say Indian chief and the jaw are 5 inch. two little rrt anvils and the whole thing is on a 3/8 plate bace. its HEAVY.......

Very useful, my everyday leg vice is on its own stand.

Curious that the anvils are not supported more rigidly given the weight of the whole. The vice has its own vertical support so the flat upright is wasted where it is...Be better to have verticals underneath the anvils and let the vice be supported by the bench plate....may be worth dropping a post or two down or a brace diagonally across to stop them bouncing.

I would also get rid of the cutting dross from the edge of the bench plate, definitely out of keeping with the quality of the vice.

Alan

I didn't think to snag a pic, but picked up a 15" adjustable wrench for $2 at the pawn shop.  Between roof tar & rust, the only thing legible was MM by the head.  I've been needing a twisting wrench to keep in the tong rack, so a cheap import should do, no?   Vinegar soaked overnight to loosen the rust & some acetone to take off the tar.

Once the screw was moving the jaw, I started brushing.  Lo & behold, beneath a layer of black paint was a Rigid with only the plating rubbed off the high spots.  Must have been in water with some bare iron, because there is barely any pitting.  Pretty sweet deal

32 minutes ago, aessinus said:

I didn't think to snag a pic, but picked up a 15" adjustable wrench for $2 at the pawn shop.  Between roof tar & rust, the only thing legible was MM by the head.  I've been needing a twisting wrench to keep in the tong rack, so a cheap import should do, no?   Vinegar soaked overnight to loosen the rust & some acetone to take off the tar.

Once the screw was moving the jaw, I started brushing.  Lo & behold, beneath a layer of black paint was a Rigid with only the plating rubbed off the high spots.  Must have been in water with some bare iron, because there is barely any pitting.  Pretty sweet deal

So rethinking the use as a twisting wrench?

Okay, this isn't smithing-related, but I think you'll all like this. Yesterday, a band of thunderstorms ripped through Ohio, and my town got hit by wicked downbursts. No one hurt that I know of, but trees down all over the place. One of the hickories at the golf course split apart and revealed itself to be:

A bee tree!

image.jpeg

And a quart or so of honeycomb followed me home!

image.jpeg

of course it's blacksmithing related---didn't you see the handle material needing to be split and having the ends *WAXED*!

I picked up another copy of WROUGHT iRON Its Manufacture Characteristics and Applications, Aston and Story; Metallurgists of the A.M.Byers company; second printing 1942.  I'll take it to Quad-State if anyone would like to buy it off me---I have 2 copies on my shelf already...

10 hours ago, JHCC said:

Okay, this isn't smithing-related, but I think you'll all like this. Yesterday, a band of thunderstorms ripped through Ohio, and my town got hit by wicked downbursts. No one hurt that I know of, but trees down all over the place. One of the hickories at the golf course split apart and revealed itself to be:

A bee tree!

The sheer plethora of interests here astounding.  JHCC, did you hive the colony?