I Forge Iron

It followed me home

That is an awesome hunk of grate there Gergely!  I am not seeing the layered look that I expect to see with wrought iron though.

Glenn, the 3.5" x 27" flat bar looks like it has plow bolt holes in it.  That may mean it is edge stock for a snow plow or other plow type device and is likely a very tough wear resistant alloy.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Gazz said:

That is an awesome hunk of grate there Gergely!  I am not seeing the layered look that I expect to see with wrought iron though.

Thanks! Interesting thing about this "classic" fibre looking texture wrought iron has: I have found and worked with some WI but only one piece has shown fibres. I don't know why. Spark testing done on the grate, unmistakable WI sparks. 

Beautiful grate Gergely, now we know how you're going to keep the boys from visiting the daughter. 

My thought too Glenn looks like a cutting edge off a plow. Take a disk grinder to it and if it laughs at you it's probably a cutting edge.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

Beautiful grate Gergely, now we know how you're going to keep the boys from visiting the daughter. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hehe! And the best thing as she's only 2, I still have time to figure out the exact parameters - although I kinda hoped the 18 pounder will be enough while citing the poem about the blacksmith's daughter and his hammer :)

Bests to you Frosty!

Gergely

An 18 pounder? you have an 18 pounder! Oh that'll get their attention you betcha. Ever fire canister or grape? I've seen video of a 6 pounder firing canister, it's an ugly thing down range. Telling the young suiters you don't mind going back to prison gets their attention. <_< Hey, 2yrs isn't too early to establish the rules with the boys you know.

Bests to you too Gergely! :D

Frosty The Lucky.

Öööö, I sure wrote something misunderstandable, I meant 18lbs hammer not a cannon, sorry (took me a while to clear up the 18 pounder also means a cannon type).

And I read somewhere here in IFI a part of a poem which means: if you kiss the blacksmith's daughter you may have a kiss from his hammer, but can't remember the actual words.

And we agree about establishing the rules early :)

G

pulling the pickup's seat forward and showing them the 30" hacksaw, bearded hatchet, lots of rope, box of extra large plastic bags---lawn and garden size, roll of duct tape and a shovel always seemed to give my daughter's prospective boyfriends pause...   I considered it basic survival gear and scrounging gear...

32 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

pulling the pickup's seat forward and showing them the 30" hacksaw, bearded hatchet, lots of rope, box of extra large plastic bags---lawn and garden size, roll of duct tape and a shovel always seemed to give my daughter's prospective boyfriends pause...   I considered it basic survival gear and scrounging gear...

Every pickup truck should have that stuff in it. It's just common tools for working with lol. 

I love a good misunderstandable, thank you. :) I was being wishful I guess I'd love to see someone I know firing their cannon. Heck I'd like to know someone who owned a cannon. I made one in jr. high shop class but it fired marbles, 5/8" bore. It was a joint project a classmate in a history class did the caison(?) in wood shop while I did the barrel and trunnions in metal shop. Caison is probably the wrong term it was modeled on a civil war naval gun. My shop teacher okayed it on the condition the bore and touch hole didn't meet, he checked with a pencil as a depth gauge. Like I didn't have access to a full machine shop at home.

One of my only regrets in life is not having any kids, I missed the opportunity to warp young minds of my own.

Don't forget the ratchet straps, you gotta have good straps to secure loads in your pickup. I don't have a big hack saw though but I have been known to call a  friend to help me load. Last assisted salvage was a BIG coil spring that weighs in the neighborhood of 350lbs. Took both of us to get it the back of the Saturn Vue.

Still every pickup needs tools under the back seat or behind the seat. It's just common sense.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It was a joint project a classmate in a history class did the caison(?) in wood shop while I did the barrel and trunnions in metal shop. Caison is probably the wrong term it was modeled on a civil war naval gun. My shop teacher okayed it on the condition the bore and touch hole didn't meet, he checked with a pencil as a depth gauge. Like I didn't have access to a full machine shop at home.

You're thinking carriage; a caisson is a two-wheeled cart for carrying ammunition. In field artillery, either a carriage or a caisson would be attached to a limber, another kind of two-wheeled cart that provided the connection between the horses and the main load. Caissons and limbers are easily confused (since they both carried ammunition chests), but caissons were never hitched directly to the horses. A limber could also be used to pull a travelling forge.

8 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I have a small cannon; it has a 2" bore, a falconette, just big enough for fun. The big ones get expensive to fire.

(was that a left handed compliment?)

Isn't a 2" bore in the 1lb. range? Ever fire canister or grape? I'll PM my email address if you don't want to post videos to Youtube.

Thanks J, it's been a LONG time since I even thought about artillery and we made a naval gun so none of what I said was right. NO, I was thinking of the carriage as it was supposed to be Oh I don't remember the maker in the history book we were reading for that class. It had a couple drawings of the gun decks and guns so we made one like them.

Mark did a beautiful job on the carriage and deserved the A+ he got, I always felt my A+ was more than it deserved but I wasn't going to argue. I only got a B in shop class, it was pretty basic lathe work so that was probably generous too. Mark's carriage was beautiful till the first time we fire it, blew it to flinders. A level teaspoon of black powder would put a marble through both doors of a dumped car in the dry wash. We never fired a steel or lead ball and the cannon is still in the Folks garage somewhere. Shannon isn't about to sort through all the stuff and I'm not going to spend a week looking either. Some day she may run across it and send it to me.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Thanks J, it's been a LONG time since I even thought about artillery and we made a naval gun so none of what I said was right. NO, I was thinking of the carriage as it was supposed to be Oh I don't remember the maker in the history book we were reading for that class. It had a couple drawings of the gun decks and guns so we made one like them.

Still a carriage, just of a different (and much heavier) type. 

As I recall when I bought the ball mold from Dixie gun works they had 1.75" and 2.125"  as I consider the difference between a fun "toy" and a pipe bomb to be if the cannon ball can exit the cannon I went with 1.75 and used heavy wadding.  IIRC it was a 1 pound ball.  (Salmon net sinker mold!)

Way back when I've fired a bunch of differing things; half pound+ of ball bearings, hard boiled eggs---won't do that ever again! and the balls of course.  Once when visiting with a friend at their buckskinner camp that had a cannon range on it I was asked to remove an old outhouse by cannon fire.  No sights; but we did it by eye and had 13 shots and 11 hits.  Unfortunately it was waferboard for the sides and we'd get a nice round hole in each side---though we were able to recover some cannon balls as we could sight the holes and see the tree it hit.  (scrub oak)  If it hit square on we could go chop out the ball.  If it glanced, it was *gone*!  Any way were were traversing the privy until a shot finally hit the structural lumber in one of the corners and *that* blew up nicely with the traditional wooden splinters doing their job tearing the perforated walls apart.

Lets see that was about 1985 so no youtube by about 20 years...

Did the ball bearing shoot against a toilet dumped in the river bottoms at 100 feet away; it disappeared, though we did find a piece about as big as my thumb when were searched the area.

No Youtube but you didn't toss the video out did you? I mean you didn't have all that fun with cannon and NOT shoot video did you? :blink: Wafer board makes a pretty crummy target of any kind. Cinder blocks were really impressive when hit be a marble moving at ludicrous velocity. We fired a lead ball out of it once but the recoil was brutal and went back to marbles. Recoil was bad enough then but lead ball was holy mackerel!

You can cast lead in plaster of Paris so a 1.95" ball shouldn't be a problem. Wouldn't a Parret Rifle be fun? Probably hard to get a concealed carry permit though.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty unlike other folks of the internet generation I was always told to minimize the evidence!  Never wanted to not be involved *doing* because I was spending my time recording.  So except when one of the other participants has recorded me doing something---it's all hearsay!

I think I found an electric fan to blow air into the forge !!

Stopped by a local garage to search out their scrap and found a Homart whole house cooling fan. The fellow said it needed a new electric cord but ran good otherwise. They bought a modern fan and were throwing this one out. Take it if you want. He blinked and it was gone !!  LOL

Once it was home, I wired on an electric cord, flipped the switch and it works, both speeds. Speed one is hurricane where as speed two is tornado. According to the internet, the fan is 1950 vintage, about 45-50 pounds, and moves more air than most 20-inch fans..... 3,450 cubic feet a minute!!

7 hours ago, Glenn said:

I think I found an electric fan to blow air into the forge !!

Stopped by a local garage to search out their scrap and found a Homart whole house cooling fan. The fellow said it needed a new electric cord but ran good otherwise. They bought a modern fan and were throwing this one out. Take it if you want. He blinked and it was gone !!  LOL

Once it was home, I wired on an electric cord, flipped the switch and it works, both speeds. Speed one is hurricane where as speed two is tornado. According to the internet, the fan is 1950 vintage, about 45-50 pounds, and moves more air than most 20-inch fans..... 3,450 cubic feet a minute!!

I have reversed a standard extractor fan to give me positive pressure ventilation in the forge, works very well. Especially helpful if you need to keep the sound in.

Alan