I Forge Iron

It followed me home

On 2/29/2016 at 8:18 AM, SpankySmith said:

what is it with blowers and mud daubers?  I disasembled/cleaned one that was full of 'em too, and I've read various posts here about the same phenom.  Weird.....

They like air compressors too. Especially the small pancake compressors with lots of plastic over the motor and intake assembly. Helped my brother with a project and we spent more time cleaning his compressor than we did using the nail gun. Anything that sits really.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've managed to find 2 7 pound straight peens marked with the British Broad Arrow, one from the WWII years and one from the 1980's, Identical save for the dates.  The older one I found in Ohio and the newer one at the Las Cruces NM, USA, fleamarket in the last ten years! (and wondering how it emigrated so rapidly...)

47 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I've managed to find 2 7 pound straight peens marked with the British Broad Arrow, one from the WWII years and one from the 1980's, Identical save for the dates.  The older one I found in Ohio and the newer one at the Las Cruces NM, USA, fleamarket in the last ten years! (and wondering how it emigrated so rapidly...)

Probably came across as ballast in one of they new fangled flying machines.

I always wonder at the financial implications of the government selling off tools like that of any date of manufacture...in what way can they have deteriorated to make them unsuitable for current squaddies to use? 

Alan

I figured they walked home with one of the squaddies and gradually made it into the used market.  Though I did once find an old supply company that had a crate of Broad Arrow  Boilermakers Hammers, 1 Each from WWII; I gradually transferred them from there to Quad-State and could have sold several crates more.  Helped me support my used tool addiction and of course I kept several myself!   Now the straight peen from Las Cruces; it's pretty close to both White Sands test range and Fort Bliss so I wondered if anyone from the UK came over to use their facilities. (The German Air Force used to train out here---366 sunny days a leap year and a whole lot of "nothing" if you make a mistake.  They just stopped and a whole lot of stuff from their store on the base hit the fleamarkets---I bought 4 pairs of brand new unused  German army boots for US$4 a pair in my odd size. So I'm probably set for boots till I hit boot hill...)

Never expected this. A couple who regularly eats at my restaurant came in yesterday and I got into a conversation with the husband about tools, since I need to replace my sockets that were either stolen or "borrowed" and never returned.

His wife mentioned an old set they had in the garage and wanted gone to free up space. So this morning he showed up and passed these along to me! All made in USA with only a few missing. 

The next time they come in I plan on buying their meal. They wanted it to be a gift but I wouldn't feel right not offering something in trade at least.

IMG_20160305_104048_869.jpg

Picked up an early 2000's Dodge minivan rear axle.  The axle will go under a 4x6 utility trailer I have to convert it to 5x4.5 (same as my Jeeps), and hopefully the rear disk brake assembly will end up on one of my Jeeps as a rear disk conversion.

$50, and about an hour and a half of my time to pick it up.

Axle 1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Dagr8tim, hope it works for ya. what kind of jeep?

The brake parts will most likely end up on my 1997 Jeep Cherokee.  The parts physically fit the rim (the biggest fear).  Now I just need to see if I can bolt the brackets to the Jeep axle (looking very promising).

Irondwarf:

That's a "plate hammer." They're used to form or flatten steel plate. Basically a sheet metal shrinking or doming hammer on a BIG scale I have one with a longer face and pein, not quite on the same scale as a RR spike hammer but close. Mine's around 8-10lbs. but I haven't weighed it. It's darned handy for forging heavy stock like a BIG double jack turning or ball pein. Not to mention working plate though I have no idea how to flatten plate with one.

The "straight pein" is a "stone mason's hammer" for dressing stone. I have one of those too, it weighs in a 16lbs. and tends to eat handles in use.

Nice scores.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Jak, Very nice of them and thats good of you to repay that kindness.

Dagr8tim, hope it works for ya. what kind of jeep?

Check this axle tube out very carefully before using it ,I had a 96 Grand Caravan that the rear axle rusted through and snapped ,It took me 4 tries in scrap yards to find a replacement that wasn't rotted through in the same places as mine! Look around where brackets a welded to the main tube for thin spots or rot through.

3 minutes ago, Leon Renaud said:

Check this axle tube out very carefully before using it ,I had a 96 Grand Caravan that the rear axle rusted through and snapped ,It took me 4 tries in scrap yards to find a replacement that wasn't rotted through in the same places as mine! Look around where brackets a welded to the main tube for thin spots or rot through.

Thanks for the tip.  Once I get the brackets stripped off, I'll go through the axle well.  It seems that the axle is a tube that then has a jog on both ends to offset the hub assemblies  From what little I looked at it before the rain came in, it looks like the tube is a straight shot with both ends open.

It'll probably get atleast wire wheeled and rattle caned after I get it cleaned up.  I'll have a chance to inspect it carefully. 

4 hours ago, jumbojak said:

Never expected this. A couple who regularly eats at my restaurant came in yesterday and I got into a conversation with the husband about tools, since I need to replace my sockets that were either stolen or "borrowed" and never returned.

His wife mentioned an old set they had in the garage and wanted gone to free up space. So this morning he showed up and passed these along to me! All made in USA with only a few missing. 

The next time they come in I plan on buying their meal. They wanted it to be a gift but I wouldn't feel right not offering something in trade at least.

IMG_20160305_104048_869.jpg

Brilliant!

I know it'll be a wrench but you could stump up for a nut roast for them at least for that set.

I was going to make some crack about "making sure they didn't bolt their food" but decided against it....

Alan

19 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Jak, Very nice of them and thats good of you to repay that kindness.

Just one of those strange things that happens in a day. I would try to make them something but, given my poor smithing skills and their desire to remove clutter, I think I'll just take care of a meal or two for them. 

15 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Brilliant!

I know it'll be a wrench but you could stump up for a nut roast for them at least for that set.

I was going to make some crack about "making sure they didn't bolt their food" but decided against it....

Alan

I must be losing my mental faculties... what's a nut roast? Bolting their food isn't such a problem, though the husband tends to turn one drink into another.

Dang, I really am losing my mental faculties. That last pun is almost unrecognizable...

15 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Alan

Good thing; otherwise, we all would have been screwed.

My son and I were doing a little exploring in the woods behind the house and found this little gem in the woods. May have to make a gas forge out of it. So watch out for some future dumb questions after I do a bunch of reading in the gas forge section. :)

image.jpeg

Well I went to an auction with my father that I didn't think would have anything I'd want judging from the listing on line. ( father son time, about all we ever do together) and low and behold there was a post vise there that wasn't listed :) it ended up following me home. Had a repair that I will re-repair correctly  screw looks good. It's on the short side at just under 3' tall. 

Anyone ever hear of H*LOSE? Not worried about it just curious. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 hours ago, JeepinJoe said:

My son and I were doing a little exploring in the woods behind the house and found this little gem in the woods. May have to make a gas forge out of it. So watch out for some future dumb questions after I do a bunch of reading in the gas forge section. :)

image.jpeg

I made a smelting forge out of one of those.  It's alot safer to cut into than a propane tank.  LOL

Some home made refractory and an old brake rotor welded to the top makes a great metal smelter for casting.  Mine's a 2" exhaust pipe, and I use an HF weed burner and the Bernoulli effect to allow to pull the burner in and out of the pipe to modify the AF ratio.

Nice find Das.  Every once and a while I check out EB auction. I can't believe how much prices have gone up in the past couple of months since I bought my anvil and leg vise. When I bought them I was a little nervous about the money I spent, when I peruse the auction sites now I smile when I see what they are charging now for comparable pieces.

While getting some work done on the vehicle I did some dumpster diving at the local shops... I think I did fairly well. Especially seeing as the scrap guy had just done his regular pickup on Thursday. 

image.jpg.9b25f333a0e49e97f4275ff56c85a1

I'm not sure what these three pieces are but they are nice and heavy.

image.jpg.84da370372e4760296bcdd14c0fd52

They look like king pins from a large truck to me - in the steering.  Can't be sure without better pic angles though.  Either way, those and the S cam shafts you picked up should be at least medium carbon steel.  I made a flatter from an S cam shaft like you have there.  Worked fine, but was a lot of heating and beating without any help.