I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Always wanted a big bell for some reason - anyway, this one is 30 inches from lip to lip and about 26 inches tall....It's cast iron and wieghs around 300 pounds.  Thought I might hang it from the birdfeeder.  make a nice windchime.    I did also get 5 ball pein hammers for $10 and 10 chisels for $10, so the bell isn't the only deal I got.  But it is certainly the heaviest rightt now.

image.jpeg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Foundryman said:

That is one ugly bell! I'm guessing it doesn't sound so good either if its cast iron, they're traditionally made out of bronze (around 22% tin and the rest copper).

Church bells are usually bronze; cast iron bells were usually for farms and schools where volume was more important than tone.

Yep it's cast iron.   It might be ugly, but I bet my bell is bigger than yours!  (bell envy)  I think it was made by American Bell (because I have managed to find an "r" and an "n" on the side. Still workng on cleaning it up, then gotta hang it.  Was thinking of using some 4-inch pipe and welding a frame to hang it. I figure if I put the lip about knee high, then all my visitors could ring with their knees when they bump into it.....or would that be to mean?

Right now, the bell is mobile.  

Seriously, I would love to put it into a yoke, but that costs more than twice what I got the bell for.  So the pipe will do for now.  figure I'll tie a rope to the clapper to ring it.  just like no shop is a shop without at least one anvil, how can a house be a home without a bell!

Thomas, dad still has the No. 3 farm bell hanging up that was used to bring everyone back home for supper.

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, Farmall said:

Seriously, I would love to put it into a yoke, but that costs more than twice what I got the bell for.  So the pipe will do for now.  figure I'll tie a rope to the clapper to ring it.  just like no shop is a shop without at least one anvil, how can a house be a home without a bell!

If you could start spreading this rumour that would be great, thanks! I work as a mould maker in a bell foundry, the more people buying them the better!

The yolk is called a headstock (or deadstock), at least in the UK, depending on whether its fixed or mounted on bearings by the way.

Cast iron bells must be an American thing, I've not come across any in the UK, a few steel ones, aluminium, solid silver and even lead for an art installation but not iron!

Not worthy of a picture, but a funny story, nonetheless: I was walking through the parking lot after work a couple of days ago when I spotted a slightly rusty four-foot-long piece of 1/4" round lying on the ground. It turned out to be an allen-head bolt with about 4" of thread on one end, and I promptly chucked it in the back of the van. The funny thing is, I had just muttered to myself (as one does), "No rust, no trust!"

11 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Farmall, 

i have six bells on my property.. You can make a yoke that will work just fine Yep you guessed it the name of my forge is Golden Bell Forge.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Jim, I have an old school bell my mother got at a school auction when I was a kid. I cleaned it up and made a clapper from an I bolt and a tow receiver ball. I've wanted to make a stand for it for years and never got around to it. I had a different idea, but I love the stand in your first picture. Thanks for sharing. 

On 1/8/2016 at 6:16 AM, Daswulf said:

Jim, I have an old school bell my mother got at a school auction when I was a kid. I cleaned it up and made a clapper from an I bolt and a tow receiver ball. I've wanted to make a stand for it for years and never got around to it. I had a different idea, but I love the stand in your first picture. Thanks for sharing. 

Make an elephant to hold it with it's trunk!

Frosty The Lucky.

Dragged this out of the scrap pile. It's a weight of some sort and is 10" across and 4" deep. That makes it close to 90 lbs. It was worth saving as it is cast with the words Brisbane 1893.

Any ideas what use it could be other than a weight?

block of steel.jpg