I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I cant get to the fan just yet and is i can power it ill be impressed as its gonna draw a lot of power from the circuit. Ill try get it going by the weekend though.

Well if the 16Amp you quoted is correct it you will probably have to bolt it down before you turn it on!

Alan

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• on fans generally blocking input or output will reduce load as the fan is just spinning the same air but even with less load the motor will still generate some heat, with no cooling due to no air flow this can be bad if the blower gets all its air through the motor.

on stephens the air is drawn in through the fan on the back of the motor thought I cant see where that air exits and there is a separate inlet for the main fan

It has the IP44 blue plug rated at 16a as it is for outside use, mostly these blowers are about 1.1kw ( 1.5hp ) so about 5a at 240v running, more when starting

Well the air blower works tested it quickly last night. Though as far as air for my forge I think I have a simple solution. This came home with me this morning. Ill work on the air blower when i get time and some space. 

11910897_10206093300443067_626527985_n.jpg

11913588_10206093291762850_1454033305_n.jpg

11937895_10206093312603371_285717718_n.jpg

Good find and it has even got a swinging plate valve over the inlet!

Where have I heard about those before? :)

Alan

What sold me on the idea of the rounding hammer was something I read somewhere along the lines of "Hot metal behaves like modeling clay. Think of the rounding hammer as a giant thumb." Looking forward to seeing how that works out in practice.

Good find and it has even got a swinging plate valve over the inlet!

Where have I heard about those before? :)

Alan

It was in this thread, you only have to go back one page where we talked about it.

in the story about the guy that burns out motors?:D

I think you are right, very well observed.

Would I have said the same thing about a Blower with a external motor? Probably not. But I still think with a boxed fan like the one pictured it was valid.

It was in this thread, you only have to go back one page where we talked about it.

I think you are right, very well observed.

Would I have said the same thing about a Blower with a external motor? Probably not. But I still think with a boxed fan like the one pictured it was valid.

:)

Certainly valid, sorry if my musings have made you think I was disagreeing.

Funny how these things get slightly out of context.

My original suggestion of the swing valve on the input was in response to the discussion two pages back about too much air being generated and that it would be necessary to divert air away from the fire.

My suggestion was made to avoid the extra work involved in a complicated diverting system. Whether by ducting it up the flue to increase draft or letting it blow dust around the workshop. One simple swing valve on the inlet controls the tuyere volume and pressure, and the excess air.

When I made the comment I did not know that the motor was enclosed in the box, or how it was cooled. Hence my request for Steven to show us a picture of the other side.

Just funny coincidence however that the very same type of control shows up on Steven's latest acquisition! 

We can all agree that it is effective there, belt driven by a remote motor.

Alan

think that one is too big and would the owners lend it to me?

Why would you need to borrow it? Just pop across and 'USE' it a bit! It's not like you plan to wear it out? Just mix up say a potato sack full of black powder, use a old blanket as wadding, possibility wrap your ball in a bit of wet toweling if the fit is a bit loose and have a bang:D! What harm could it do?

Ps. Post pictures of your cell when(if ever) you get a chance:P

So, you might need 2 towels ! The better hotels have 'thicker' ones:D

How can you imply Paris is thick? I know she has been on some pretty dire shows, but it must be really hard being so wealthy and glamorous, and even then she only appears dumb and shallow in most of them. She is only acting being an airhead isn't she?

As far as the OP's ball goes, I keep thinking in terms of a floating sculpture base. A weighted counterbalance and something dramatic shooting skyward.

Alan

Edited by Alan Evans