I Forge Iron

It followed me home

I picked up this table for $40 from a local online machine shop auction. It was advertised to have a 2' x 3' steel plate on the end but when I went to go pick it up it was actually a 2" thick cast iron plate with hollows in the bottom. Ended up being about 1" thick in the solid top. the rest of the top looks to be made of two layers of 2" x 24" glue laminated beams. there is only one layer under the plate. I am a little bit disappointed its not a full 2" thick steel plate but I think it is still a nice table for $40.

table.jpg

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe this one will kick the gears loose!

Edit: Boo-Yah! 

Since IFI has done so much for me over the years, and you're all such close friends, there will be no charge for the repairs.:rolleyes:

Edited by JimsShip
Sarcasm

Fingers crossed hoping Jim's magic self is working. Here goes!

I feel your bummedness about that $40. table. Out of the goodness of my heart I'll allow you to dispose of it in my shop, I'll even clear a spot and promise not to complain about the valuable floor space it occupies. Believe ME as packrat as I am any open floor space is a valuable(?) PRICELESS myth.

Nonetheless I'll make the sacrifice on your behalf, just let me know when you cross the border from Canada and I'll get the space cleared.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Picked up this lovely Iron City vice from a good friend of mine the other day. The jaws are 5-1/4" wide and look like they've never been used. The thread on the screw looks unused as well. I'm guessing it came over the pond around WW2 as a lot of smithing gear came over at that time. 

The spring is missing but that's no big deal as I got it free. :) 

11350187_10155707255435655_359296774_n.j

11420071_10155707255460655_1291645265_n.

11637974_10155707255465655_451502541_n.j

All the best 

Andy

If that cast table has a waffle pattern under it it is a layout table. The tops were usually hand scraped in to be very flat. 

I think they are rectangular but I will have to wait till I unload it from my trailer & lift the plate off to know for sure. It looks like it was cut out of something bigger with a band saw to make it fit on the table.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Mr. Cochran!

I believe the little blob on the horn to be a weld on after it had been mushroomed over or something?

so this is where it gets interesting,the old German blacksmith bought some stuff from my great, great, grandfather when he first came over. we now have the Germans anvil.

we made a phone call to my great grandmother, to ask if she remembered anything from her dads anvil. The fist thing she said was that he use to hang lots of tools around the stump, BINGO. I know that reason is pretty general but things of that size tend to stay around.

in conclusion, there is a good chance that that anvil was my great,great papas! 

Good grief Ethan do you have an anvil magnet in your pocket or what? You could be right about the tip of the horn or it might have been dropped. No matter really.

You're going to want to position your LG differently or clear the anvil and other stuff from where it is. Look at the direction the dies are pointed. Long stock will need to be fed into the hammer from the right and as it sits now you'll be tripping over the stuff behind the operator's position.

You do realize that if you keep this up before long you'll need a larger shop don't you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Good grief Ethan do you have an anvil magnet in your pocket or what?

You do realize that if you keep this up before long you'll need a larger shop don't you?

Frosty The Lucky.

Some people seem to have those magnets. Or some sort of divining tongs.

Oh to have that problem... I actually need to repair my shop. Inherited from my wife's grandfather (as well as my 150# Mousehole), it was built for working on his dump trucks and backhoe. So has a 20' ceiling (to the bottom of the open rafters), is 32'x40' concrete slab pole barn with a built in isolation block hole (4' deep service pit for working under the dump trucks) waiting for me to get a power hammer either built or purchased to fill it in. I remember borrowing it to work on a friend's Dodge Omni, lol... the tires were hanging over the edge of the pit by a third of their width on each side.  Now, the tin is mostly gone and the rafters are starting to fall from rot. The creosote power poles are still solid as are the wall framing. Just need the money and time to tear off the rest of the roof trusses, replace them and re-tin the whole thing.

Edited by LastRonin

image.thumb.jpg.c146377e8e37ddb4864744b1Went to scrap yard.  Saw this triangle shape of metal in the ground.  I figured it was 1/2" thick, but it ended up being 3" thick.  Dimensions are 10"x10"x14" and weighed 50 pounds.  Hit it for $8. Nice sharp edges.  I'll have to file them a little round so they don't chip off too much.

I picked up a small pallet of mostly M2 & M4 annealed tool steel from a mold & die shop. Not sure on the exact weight yet but I estimate it is around 300-500 lbs.

I finally got around to unloading & counting up the pallet of tool steel. It added up to a little over 720lbs total. Around 550 lbs of Crucible CPM M4 tool steel and around 100lbs of Crucible M2 tool steel. The rest isn't marked but is probably M2 or M4. There was even a nice chunk of 1045 TG&P shafting.

Chris,

I have several craftsman power tools. Bench grinder, disc/belt sander, Bench top drill press, Table saw, and bench top band saw. The only one that has ever given me any trouble is the band saw. It was not purchased new, but given to me by my grandmother who used to be a wood carver (everything from small figurines to 50' totem poles) and was probably 15-20 yrs old when I got it. As it's been at least 10 yrs since she's been able to do any real wood working. I'm thinking there is some corrosion on the contacts/motor that is causing the problems that I'm seeing. It will stall out and not want to start back up. but like I've said, I haven't torn into it yet to find out. The table saw was a garage sale find for $35 and is probably at least 10 yrs old and has not given me any issues at all. The rest were all bought new about 5 yrs ago and are all working perfectly.

Edited by ThorsHammer82