I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Good scores Dick, that buzz box will serve you well.

Higher altitude means thinner air so there's less for the gas jet to entrain. Try smaller jets till get it tuned. Keep all the jets that don't work you may find yourself in lower circumstances. <grin>

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up three hammers at a garage sale for $5.00 each, first time purchasing hammers with good handles and clean. :)   Put the punch hammer to use the next day. Making a  tomahawk. 

Also pick up a Goodell - Pratt hand crank drill press for my kids to use for $15.00 . 

Looking for more information on using the weight forward hammer for blades.  

post-40075-0-97961200-1402414834_thumb.j

post-40075-0-78046800-1402414846_thumb.j

post-40075-0-70157900-1402414856_thumb.j

This is all the iron that followed me back from the NEB spring meet. Everything except the vise was trade for an anvil I did not want taking up space in my shop anymore. The vise has a 5 1/2" jaw, no spring, but the screw looks nearly new. The cable that you see is from a 50' length that I got from iron in the hat which will give me plenty of cable damascus material to play with for a long time. Various top fullers and hardy tools, 3/4" bolt head tongs, a farriers rasp thats still quite sharp, a bench top hand shear, and a wire brush. I also sold an anvil so I actually didn't lose any money, all said and done! 

These few items followed me back today from my local market. All for a grand sum of £5 ($8) also got a 1m long steel rule in that price as well which isn't in the photo due to it already being put to work.

post-29379-0-50194800-1402521881_thumb.j

About sometime week before last Sunday I think. My dad went and I for a walk. Around my house is a lot of old abandoned farmland that has grown up to forest in the past 200 years or so. (I will also note that we took this with permission.) There is a old farm dump across the road and in the woods the stuff has been there so long that trees have grown around them. A rake a hay tedder and a plow I have been looking for tools with not such luck there... anyway we are looking at this plow and I'm thinking I bet we can get this out. So dad and I get on this thing and start pulling on it trying to get it out of the ground was somewhat buried and the wheels turn. so I pull and dad guides it out and we work at this for about a hour or so until we get it out of the woods and on the lawn. My stepmother comes out of the house looks at us kinda like > :blink: and says what the heck is that. And now it's new home is our lawn.    post-54776-0-26665300-1402525264_thumb.j

Those are good plows. I still use one!!! you can get to the end of a row,turn around,raise one side and lower the other and go back plowing the same direction...Clear as mud???

You plow mud Eric? How do you get the furrow to roll the right direction? :rolleyes:

Frosty The Lucky.

Toothy, that plough is a fine thing to have on your lawn. I would be going back for some more!
I too have been dragging things home. I found this cast iron firepot while I was looking for some steel to make punches out of.
It is very heavy and has a pipe underneath to attach a blower. We have a few old blowers so I was thinking of trying to set this up. I would have to make some sort of flap to contain the ash. What I don't understand is the function of the lever. It turns a cylindrical valve in the base of the pot, but in any position I think it would allow the same amount of air to pass. Maybe it's worn. I imagine this would have been fitted into a wider tray on legs. I would like to build it into a stone forge but the ash removal might prove a problem.
Here's a pic of the thing:
post-50874-0-81911300-1402657983_thumb.j
post-50874-0-96187800-1402658041_thumb.j
post-50874-0-94886800-1402658105_thumb.j

I believe that's a clinker breaker not an air valve, give it a wiggle and your clinker breaks up and falls into your (metal) bucket beneath the forge. The air flow comes through the horizontal pipe.

Ah, I see. A clinker breaker. So the air flow is controlled by the speed of the blower.

Greetings  Ausfire,

What you have is a Buffalo Forge Wirlwind firepot.  It is one of the best they ever made.  It is missing a trap door on the bottom for the ash dump but is easy to make .  Normally the air flow is controlled by an air gate and the blower speed..  I have 2 and would love to have a spare.. Google Buffalo forge and you will find many examples of what you are looking for..   Super Find

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

These followed me home: http://imgur.com/a/yD2fx

They are about 1.5m tall and the base plates are solid steel about 40mm thick. The box section is pretty thick as well, about 8mm or so. Found them at my local scrap yard, got them for £10 (~$15) each. I'm collecting materials to make a junkyard power hammer so I'm going to use one of them as the central pillar for that, and I'm going to turn the other one into a stand for a leg vise I acquired a few years ago.

That's good to know, Jim. I found an old blower nearby which was stamped 'Buffalo Forge Co.. Buffalo NY. Perhaps they were connected at some stage in the past. I might have to renew the acquaintance.

That's good to know, Jim. I found an old blower nearby which was stamped 'Buffalo Forge Co.. Buffalo NY. Perhaps they were connected at some stage in the past. I might have to renew the acquaintance.

I checked the price, they are around $100 - $150 mine is in good condition, but is missing or didn't have the small vise for the table top. The vise adds a lot to the value.

I'm going to replace the steel drill table top with a wood one so the kids don't drill into the table top. It's a cool little drill. I just purchased a full size hand crank drill,  will post it soon. 

At a garage sale this weekend and pick up a Buffalo Forge Post Drill No.152 for $40.00 needs a lot of cleaning,  still has original grease and it's solid. Wouldn't turn when I pick it up, soaked it in WD-40 and it moves fine now. Looked closer at it last night it's missing the top half of the gear advance. Anyone know of a place that sells parts for Post drills? 

Also pick up a Wilton 935 at a good price.  

post-40075-0-89570000-1402926801_thumb.j

post-40075-0-08715600-1402926818_thumb.j

Parts for post drills?  Basically  you have to buy another with the part you need.  Some can be forged or cast by you.  In general *any* missing parts drops the price to scrap due to the problem of replacing things. The automatic advance is probably forgeable by you; but may take some fiddling with if you don't have one to copy.

Whatever you do PLEASE do not hook a motor to it!  I knew a blademaker who wanted to save some money and so put a motor on his old post drill.  Then when drilling a finicky  hole he reached up to advance the bit and fed his fingers into the gears.  Thousands and thousands of dollars and months and months of down time from the shop and they still don't work right.  He told me that he could have bought the fanciest drill press around and still have saved big bucks over what he invested in electrifying an old post drill.

No motor for me. I have an old Craftsman 150 I converted to DC power for most of my drilling needs. This is a tool I have always wanted, but never ran across at a good price. I'm going to clean it up and put it back to work again. I was looking at photos on line of the part I need, I think I can forge one, add it to the list of things to make. 

post-40075-0-85805400-1402939611_thumb.j

Since everyone is on the subject of post drills, I went to a farm auction on Saturday, there in the old wood shop was a huge Boynton & Plummer drill. It was meant to run off a line shaft but when electricty came to the place an electric motor was used to power it. The drill is so big no one wanted to mess with it, when the auctioneer got to it he opened it at $25, before I could shout here he dropped it to $10.00 the minute I said here he said SOLD! It took three of us to get it off the wall and three to load it in my truck, it weighs in right around 300 LBS. I took the big flywheel off the top to make it easier to move. If I decide to set it up the flywheel is 6" wider than the drill so it will need to be spaced out from the post or have a stand fabricated. Unfortunatly the original line shaft all set up for multiple flat belts about 25 feet long was there but while I was dealing with the drill a scrapper bought it and cut it up. I own quite a few post drills they are beautiful machines, most work as well as the day they were made. Also bought 120 LBS of NOS railroad spikes for less than scrap and some saw blades for a buck a piece. As far as saftepost-39154-0-58109200-1402945935_thumb.jy with these old machines, even if you are hand cranking it you can get into trouble, there was not much thought about saftey when these were made!post-39154-0-58109200-1402945935_thumb.jpost-39154-0-60624300-1402945939_thumb.jpost-39154-0-05164900-1402945943_thumb.jpost-39154-0-57961500-1402945946_thumb.j