• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This stuff followed me home yesterday. The anvil is a 116 pound peter wright and the blower is a canedy otto. 17 pairs of tongs and a few hammers also came home with me as well as some blacksmithing books. I payed a to much for it at 350 but over all im pretty happy.

Also if I were to cut down that blue barrel the anvil is on and fill it with sand would it work well as an anvil stand? Thanks Anthony post-51907-0-62354200-1395674774_thumb.jpost-51907-0-73159100-1395674783_thumb.jpost-51907-0-03949200-1395674794_thumb.jpost-51907-0-16234700-1395674804_thumb.j

Well lets see: 

Not a bad anvil; so lets say you were a bit high on it at US$2 a pound so $232;

17 pairs of tongs at  $5-$10---lets call it 5 so $85 (rt   $317) 

a few hammers(?)  say 4 at $5 so $20 (rt $337) 

"some" Blacksmithing books---3(?) at $10 so $30 (rt $367) 

a good brand blower, say $75 as we don't know the condition.  RT US$442 

so as I see it you underpaid by about US$100 and I was lowballing most of the stuff...If you're unhappy with your purchase I'm sure we can take it off your hands for the same price...

I payed a to much for it at 350 but over all im pretty happy.

Yea.  I sure wish I got deals like that!  

If the tongs aren't home-made types, I always value them @ $15 - $20 a set.  That's higher than you can find them piecemeal at flea markets and yard sales, but a far sight cheaper than you can buy them new.  It might take me three or four trips to the flea markets around me to find 17 pairs of decent tongs for less than $15 per, but then you have to figure in the time and fuel.

Definitely a good haul.

Ronin--8" x 6"

Nice. If you want a better rebound, have you thought of welding a piece of 6 inch forklift tine on top? If done right, couldn't that improve the rebound? (Maybe our more knowledgeable members can comment on the merits of trying something like that.)

Thanks guys for making me feel even better about my purchase. The blower is free and turns pretty smooth. I think it might need a bearing on the crank shaft as its a little wobbly, but it puts out air and I am much happier to have this then try and use my wifes hair drier. Thanks Anthony

Ohio-82, after seeing the pics of the anvil, you did good. There are some who would pay that for just the anvil. Peter Wrights are a sought after maker.

The blower may just have bushings instead of bearings. Just be careful prying, or pounding on that old iron to get it apart. Use plenty of penetrating oil , my favorite is KROIL. Heat will also help, but take your time so nothing gets broke.

Be very careful cutting any barrel , especially if you do not know what was in it. Don't need to hear that you blew yourself up.

this followed me home today, a friend asked me to rehome it

weight is 63kg at a guess 140 lbs

had not seen an anvil with the extra bit near the base before, anyone have any ideas of the use of it.

no markings, 3 handling holes 

table is 5" wide overall length is 17" and height is 10"Photo0147.jpgPhoto0146.jpgPhoto0148-1.jpg

this followed me home today, a friend asked me to rehome it

weight is 63kg at a guess 140 lbs

had not seen an anvil with the extra bit near the base before, anyone have any ideas of the use of it.

no markings, 3 handling holes 

table is 5" wide overall length is 17" and height is 10"

Wow, Sir, that is some really awesome score! Are you going to use it or is it going into display?

Greetings

Gergely