• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The grain on that grappling hook is beautiful.  And, museum or not, they aren't anchors.  An anchor has to be designed to come free from the bottom, and shapes like that won't.  Land use only, so you could walk over and untangle it when needed.

Excellent score.  

Grapnel Anchor

I was invited to a spring shop by another blacksmith.  We were offered some virgin leaf spring stock.  Just come get what you want.  He thanked us for coming out and getting some as we were leaving.  Seemed very backwards to me.  I see some nail headers, turning forks and who knows what else.  It has been a great day.

post-2597-0-44978500-1394913173_thumb.jp

The old drill press at work broke down and I couldn't get parts for it so we scrapped it. I used the base to mount my post vise and I'm thinking of using the motor for a power hammer or belt sander.

TJ, my wife got me a knife making DVD for Christmas that used a drill press as a leather sewing tool. The needle goes in the chuck and the spring system is used to press through leather. Even if chuck is broke can attach needle. Some manner of "creative thinking".

It's been awhile since I've had something to post in this thread and it isn't blacksmithing related, but here goes and at > 900 lbs it's definitely the largest & heaviest thing I've had follow me home. 

post-34362-0-78120100-1395080525_thumb.j

This is my next restoration project which I got for free AND got the original owner to pay the transportation fee $160 as the future husband insisted it go.  Guess it beats having to pay a $150 dump fee as well as transportation.  They also know it's going to a good home vs getting crushed.  I've already taken it apart enough to know what work needs to be done next and get this...after removing the player mechanisms and action (which both need serious work) it's in tune!

post-34362-0-14841900-1395080625_thumb.j

After finding out the strings, pinblock & soundboard were healthy I did try to pay for at least half the moving costs.  They refused and are glad it went to a good home so I'm sending as a wedding gift a forged heart shaped bottle opener (at least I end this post with something smithing related)  Still feel as if I robbed Fort Knox and kicked someone's dog. 

To top it all off today at work someone gave me an expensive leather welding apron and two sets of welding gloves.  Maybe time to buy a lottery ticket!

post-34362-0-23191500-1395080861_thumb.j

Dan- That piano is a nice score in itself! I've worked on a few of them over the years, i've been lucky and have never had to rebuild the small bellows, but have learned a lot about them along the way.
Drop me a PM and let me know how it's going.
Are you going to electrify it?

Jim - I plan on using it as original, though the lead pipes for the player mechanism are completely shot.  I'll need to research how to fix them though at this point I'll focus on replacing felt and getting the action to work so it at least functions as a piano.  A neighbor who has a 1910 upright came over, he was the one who determined it was in tune and said it had a better sound than his.  I'll be sure to keep in touch with you as I'm sure there will be lots of questions!

Due to it's resistance to deterioration in salt water, ... Wrought Iron was commonly used for "marine" hardware, ... long after it disapeared from use in "ordinary" products.

The long "shank" portion of the Grappnel, would also lead you to believe it's intended use, was as an Anchor, ... as would the multiple ( 5 ) hooks.

Grappnel Anchors of that sort, were used on rocky bottoms, where other sorts of Anchors would not "dig in".

As this design was intended to "snag" the bottom, ... the technique for retrieving them, was to slide a ring, ... ( large enough to slip over the "eye" and "shackle" of the Anchor ), ... attached to a second line, ... down the Anchor Rode, and over the Anchor Eye, until it reached the Grappnel "hooks".

Then, ... by slacking the Anchor Rode, ... the second line was used  to dislodge the hooks from their purchase in the rocks.

If possible, the Ship would sail "over" it's Anchor in order to slack the Anchor Rode, ... but, ... failing that, ... a small boat, with the second line aboard, could always be rowed to a point "over" the Anchor, ... and pull it free, from that location.

Wrought Iron Grappnels of roughly that size, ( though usually NOT with such a long shank ), ... were also used with large "Leg Hold" type animal traps. ( Bear Traps )

The reason for this, ... was to prevent the trapped animal from pulling free of the trap, ... while effectively impedeing it's progress, to the point where it could be overtaken by the Trapper.

It is my belief, that in order to save weight, ... these Grappnels normaly had a short shank, ... 5 or 6 foot chain, ... and only 3 hooks.

For what it's worth .....

KennyO: The cylinders in the third picture... what bore and stroke? Future powerhammer maybe?

Cross Brand...one 6" stroke 2.5 bore 2500psi... one 12"stroke 2.5bore 2500psi.  That is all I know, I'm looking for some numbers but to caked with scum, I need to soak in solvent.

I would like to know how much pressure thay are able to exert, (or is the 2500psi the result) for a press or hammer but dont have enough data. Can hydraulics be made to be pnuematics

post-2133-0-48010400-1395166813_thumb.jp

2500 psi would be the rated pressure it could have applied in it. Are they pneumatic or hydraulic? Hydraulic can usually be made pneumatic, but if they are hydraulic, you'd probably be better off trading them for pneumatic if you are wanting pneumatic.

A month ago I went on the hunt for a 30 gallon metal drum for a project. Not a rare item but not as common as a 55 gallon drum. Stopped at a half dozen places and found plenty of drums, all containing grease, oil etc. No luck at all, and I came home empty.

Today on the way home, I drove past an alley and sticking out of the wooden bin was an axle. Ask the fellow if I could have the axle and he said they use the bin for scrap metals to get coffee money. I ask how much money it would take to put the axle in the car. He ask why I wanted it and I said I was a blacksmith. He said at his last job he was as a fabricator so take what you want, no charge. Three axles and two pieces of steering linkage later I closed the trunk of the car, thanked him, and headed home.

Wife wanted to go to the store and I was to drive. On the way to the store, the sign said oil change special and I turned into the parking lot. I ask the fellow if he had any 30 gallon drums and he said to look out back, he puts them there in case a customer needs one. Five 55 gallon drums and four 30 gallon drums were behind the building. Two of the 30 gallon drums went into garbage can liners (wife's car so I carry liners in the trunk for emergency purposes) and into the car. SHE wanted to know what I was going to use the drums for and what were the long sticks of metal in the trunk of HER car.  

She wanted to eat out so we stopped for dinner on the way home. Cheaper than getting yelled out for putting a grease drum in the trunk of HER car.  I will collect the other two 30 gallon drums tomorrow before I go home. Only problem is where to hide them so she does not find them for a while. Note to self, remove the 3 axles and steering linkage from the trunk of her car as soon as it gets dark.

3 axles

2 pieces of steering linkage

2 ea 30 gallon metal drums, 2 more available

Cost -- Dinner out with the wife

Still a bargain in my book

Cross Brand...one 6" stroke 2.5 bore 2500psi... one 12"stroke 2.5bore 2500psi.  That is all I know, I'm looking for some numbers but to caked with scum, I need to soak in solvent.

I would like to know how much pressure thay are able to exert, (or is the 2500psi the result) for a press or hammer but dont have enough data. Can hydraulics be made to be pnuematics

First, ... they ar Hydraulic Cylinders, and cannot be successfully used as Pneumatic Cylinders.

( The Piston Seals require oil emersion. )

The force the cylinders can exert, is directly related to the pressure applied.

This is easily determined.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say you can deliver 1,000 psi of hydraulic pressure, to the Cylinder.

The Cylinder Bore is 2.5 inches.

A quick easy way to determine the number of "Square Inches" on a circle, ... is to multiply the Diameter by it's self.

( 2.5" X 2.5" = 6.25 )

This is the number of Square Inches in a SQUARE of those proportions.

A Circle equals about 70% of a Square.

So, ... to find the area in Square Inches, of the round BORE, ... multiply 6.25" by .7.

( 6.25 X .7 = 4.375 Square Inches, in a 2.5" Bore. )

Now, ... 4.375 Square Inches by 1,000 psi, equals 4,375 pounds of force.

( 4.375 X 1,000 = 4,375 )

The rated maximum pressure of 2,500 psi, would then yield a maximum force of 10,937.5 pounds.

( 2,500 X 4.375 = 10,937.5 pounds of force. )

Now that you've found the area of the Bore, ... you can also quickly learn the Volume ( in Cubic Inches ) of the Cylinder, by multiplying the AREA by the STROKE.

( 4.375 X 6" = 26.25 cu. in. displacement )

Knowing the Volume of the Pump, ... and the Displacement of the Cylinder, ... allows you to determine the Speed and potential Cycle Time of the Cylinder.

First, ... they ar Hydraulic Cylinders, and cannot be successfully used as Pneumatic Cylinders.

( The Piston Seals require oil emersion. )

My bad. I knew you didn't want to put high pressure hydraulic into most pneumatic cylinders which tend to be rated at much lower pressures. The formula for the area of a circle is pi x radius squared. In case you wanted a more accurate calculation. It works out to 4.9 square inches and with your posted pressure rating would provide 12,265 lbs of lifting/pushing/squishing force.

My bad. I knew you didn't want to put high pressure hydraulic into most pneumatic cylinders which tend to be rated at much lower pressures. The formula for the area of a circle is pi x radius squared. In case you wanted a more accurate calculation. It works out to 4.9 square inches and with your posted pressure rating would provide 12,265 lbs of lifting/pushing/squishing force.

0.7854xd squared is accurate to 5 decimals and much faster than pi r squared. A quick in your head estimate is .8 d squared, or .75 if you only need a rough estimate, say figuring how much concrete to mix to fill a post hole.

You can use a hyd. cylinder with air if you install an inline oiler. Recovering the oil at the exhaust port isn't hard and it multi-tasks as a muffler so it's quieter.

Frosty The Lucky.

0.7854xd squared is accurate to 5 decimals and much faster than pi r squared. A quick in your head estimate is .8 d squared, or .75 if you only need a rough estimate, say figuring how much concrete to mix to fill a post hole.

You can use a hyd. cylinder with air if you install an inline oiler. Recovering the oil at the exhaust port isn't hard and it multi-tasks as a muffler so it's quieter.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for this "0.7854xd squared" and all the other most valuable data.

For the sake of simplicity, let's say you can deliver 1,000 psi of hydraulic pressure, to the Cylinder.

The Cylinder Bore is 2.5 inches.

A quick easy way to determine the number of "Square Inches" on a circle, ... is to multiply the Diameter by it's self.

( 2.5" X 2.5" = 6.25 )

This is the number of Square Inches in a SQUARE of those proportions.

A Circle equals about 70% of a Square.

So, ... to find the area in Square Inches, of the round BORE, ... multiply 6.25" by .7.

( 6.25 X .7 = 4.375 Square Inches, in a 2.5" Bore. )

Now, ... 4.375 Square Inches by 1,000 psi, equals 4,375 pounds of force.

( 4.375 X 1,000 = 4,375 )

The rated maximum pressure of 2,500 psi, would then yield a maximum force of 10,937.5 pounds.

( 2,500 X 4.375 = 10,937.5 pounds of force. )

Now that you've found the area of the Bore, ... you can also quickly learn the Volume ( in Cubic Inches ) of the Cylinder, by multiplying the AREA by the STROKE.

( 4.375 X 6" = 26.25 cu. in. displacement )

Knowing the Volume of the Pump, ... and the Displacement of the Cylinder, ... allows you to determine the Speed and potential Cycle Time of the Cylinder.

Inspires me to take a class in hydraullic theory, I apologize for monopalizing the thread. I will do more research.

Frosty The Lucky.

Cool. Thanks for sharing this.

Went to a farm auction today and picked up several items, some misc tools, but my best score a new, still wrapped in plastic Baldor 1HP TEFC 1750 rpm motor for $55. I'm 1 step closer to a hammer build. Also spent $55 on a metal framed table about 32" x 48", on heavy metal casters that had a small vise mounted to it and wired for 110. My work areas isn't real big so this will work real well being mobile. It'll be my new welding, grinding, sanding work station. Also got about and 18" section of rail road for $10, I'm sure I'll find a used for it. I also finally scored a couple of coil springs, not sure why but they are hard to come by around here. These will be made into punches and possibly other things.