• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All right then!  I know there are a bunch of "engineer types" (the kind I like) hiding under that soot and scale. 

Got this Item for five bucks at Murphy's Junk Emporium in El Cajon.  Before I transform (destroy) this thing into a cone mandrel, maybe someone could tell me what it really is:

post-49427-0-87409900-1389814709_thumb.jpost-49427-0-25096100-1389814790_thumb.jpost-49427-0-30431500-1389814854_thumb.j

It is 5" in Dia. at the base x 12 - 3/4" long.  Made of Soft Steel. The spiral groove has a +.250" circular profile, with a weird pitch:  3.0187 Grooves Per Inch.  Conical taper is 12.5 Deg.

My guess is that it got scrapped out during manufacture, and is thus an unfinished item.

Come on - I bet Someone on this Forum even used to make these! My apology in advance for what I am getting ready to do to it :o

Anachronist58 - my best guess is possibly a feed auger for a plastic (or some other type) of extruder mechanism. Think akin to a meat grinder done grand industrial.

Have been lucky lately myself.  Last summer a cousin held a work party to remove the original siding from her circa 1900 farmhouse, I came home with about 10 lbs of square cut wrought iron nails.

The farmer who owns the lands around my home has been letting me recover scrap metal, including wrought iron, from the demolition of a barn near my home. I got permission from the land owner after the demolition started becoming a fiasco.

The Barn went up in two phases, the original and smaller part in the mid to late 1840's and the larger and main part in 1906.  The different folks involved in the demo have either blotched it badly, or had worse help. The first fellow to do the initially planned salvage blotched it badly turning about 70% of the recoverable material into broken pieces. On the main section (from 1906) he removed the braces he could reach from the floor, undercut the posts, and then pulled the structure over (in the wrong direction.) None of the pins were removed from the mortise and tenon joints so the majority of the large lumber pieces were damaged. The land owner ordered him off.

A second fellow took over to clean up and sell what he could salvage. He was doing okay until a visitor to the site didn't  like how things were being done. The visitor hopped into the excavator that was at the site, and in his keen desire to 'help' trashed over 3/4's of the remaining salvageable materials. Very frustrating and depressing to find so much first growth timber, hand hewn turned into splinters at worst, and firewood at best.  Lots of northern jack pine, beech, maple and oak beams and boards, fir purlons for the roof, all dry and relatively sound, trashed.

From the barn I've recovered about 15 pounds of square cut nails, spikes, and hardware (all wrought iron), an assortment of mild steel rods and spikes. Then from some of the concrete work, used as rebar, 60 plus feet of silo hoops (WI), wagon fittings and wheel tyres (WI), other miscellaneous pieces including horse tack (mixed metals), and old farm machinery and vehicle pieces. Plus there's wiring, piping and other metal items that appear as the clean up progresses.

Will take some pictures of the recovered materials to post later.

Don Shears

Edited by Don Shears

All right then!  I know there are a bunch of "engineer types" (the kind I like) hiding under that soot and scale. 

Got this Item for five bucks at Murphy's Junk Emporium in El Cajon.  Before I transform (destroy) this thing into a cone mandrel, maybe someone could tell me what it really is

My guess is that it got scrapped out during manufacture, and is thus an unfinished item.

Come on - I bet Someone on this Forum even used to make these! My apology in advance for what I am getting ready to do to it :o

A log splitting arbour, a lot of money in the machining there.

Not a pulley as it is a continuous spiral groove? And I propose that it is a ball race.  The holes are blind threaded 4-40, and I am guessing that they were index pins for timing the lathe operation. I just can't figure it out.

Could it be a spring winder? When I was installing garage doors they had a lathe in the factory that wound the torsion springs on something like that although not graduated. maybe it wound a progressive spring.

I hope this isn't considered off-topic:

Looks like a "Drilling" Hammer, ... for striking "Star Drills" ... used for drilling rock and concrete.

Hm, but it's kinda small. I think it weights about 700-800 g. And that 3/8" diameter round eye...

Since last time I've found an ethnographic text about old hungarian cattlebell makers' work . There is this picture from the hammers were used to make metal sheets concave for smaller bells:

post-48601-0-18309700-1389945462_thumb.j

I also found this, upper row, 3rd from the right:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/KONVOLUT-ALTE-SCHMIEDEGESENKE-SETZSTOCKL-UND-HAMMER-FUR-AMBOSS-SCHMIED-GESENK-/301065415084?pt=Alte_Berufe&hash=item4618e5a9ac

No conclusions, but the face of this hammer is very much rounded, so the "concave-maker" function sounds probable.

I was able to visit my favorite scrapyard briefly Saturday; only came out with 56 pounds: 

8' of 1" WI rod with one end threaded (proud of the rod!) with a large sq nut. 

a center punch---never have enough of those,

the base of a light guage tank to make a travelling raised firepit from, a brace (as in brace & bit),

a nice coil spring as some of my students are getting towards bladesmithing and I want them to have enough of the same alloy to learn the testing steps for making knives from unknown material---slit the coil spring up opposing sides and you have a dozen pieces to work with.

Some misc pieces---MUCH cheaper to pick them up at the scrapyard than to drive into town and pay 10 x as much at the hardware store so whenever I see *nice* bolts and nuts thrown on the pile I will get them and sort them into my coffee cans back at the shop.

I found this at one of the local antique stores this weekend.  5 1/2" Jaws.  Missing the mounting bracket and the screw is froze up solid.  I hope I can get the screw moving again and call this a good deal at $56.   I have the bell filled with transmission fluid, WD 40, and Liquid Wrench.  I can barely make out OHIO stamped in one of the legs.   

post-25532-0-41738100-1390868982_thumb.j

post-25532-0-10809900-1390869038_thumb.j

post-25532-0-31941500-1390869089_thumb.j

Estate sale a few blocks from home. Not much in the way of tools, save yard tools, but on a shelf in the garage I found this flatter, with a small chip out of the face.  Never seen a flatter in the wild, and haven't used one either.

Time to get try talking the teenage daughter into striking for me again. post-182-0-48217700-1390927666_thumb.jpg

4340 ffrom the scrap yard for 50cents/lb. about 50 ft of it, 1'x 3 ft sections.The research I have done mentions it is used for landing gear, and these have holes drilled in each end. kind of looks like an axle. What could be made of these?

And the cable I think was intended for steps on heavy equipment?

Would the cable be worthy of a knife?

I also picked up an odd looking hammer, not for iron I'm sure

post-2133-0-13386100-1390948192_thumb.jp

post-2133-0-46067000-1390948197_thumb.jp

" you can't tell carbon content by looking..."

I am aware of that, but thanks for pointing it out, assuming the wire rope steps are not under more than 500 lbs. of tension, compression, or sheer I was questioning their quality :)

"What did the spark test or heat and quench test tell you about the cable..." 

Havent gone there yet, tomorrow I will figure it out.

Just makin conversation :)

Well we don't know anything about them; but if the manufacturer got a great deal on cable that didn't meet spec for critical applications they could be that.  Big problem with using the scrapstream, you never know, (except for those lovely bars with the data painted on them...)  Shoot one time I even got a low carbon strain hardened leafspring---wouldn't harden even in water!

Kenny O

I would forge weld up a piece of the cable and water quench and see if it cracks that will give you some good info. I have made a lot of cable knives. I like at least 5/8 diameter so I don't have to fold it for more mass. If you fold it a lot of the time the pattern gets too fine for what I like, I have had some 3/4 cable that wouldn't harden much in oil but got hard in water so to me that makes it medium carbon at best.