Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-74-0-38195500-1352755463_thumb.jpg

An old blacksmith friend, Randy from Minnesota, is traveling the Western states and popped in today to say hello. He had a question about making fish spears from high carbon, old hay rake teeth. Each point of the six points was round pointed with a small flat barb. Each was laid back and forge welded. He wanted to see me forge weld the layback. I sharpened the small barb on the end and bent the stock back on itself. I then fagot welded the point and drew it square, octagonal, round. When I finished, he said that his trouble might have been using too many kinds of proprietary fluxes (I used borax) and maybe hitting too hard right out of the fire. He overheated a couple of attempts as well, and the metal crumbled. The high carbon steel should be welded at a non-sparking heat.

Randy was getting odd jobs as he traveled, so he was hauling a couple of anvils. He gifted me this sweetheart of a little Hay-Budden, weighing 64 pounds. The rule in the picture is 12 1/8" long. He also left us with some frozen deer meat, walleye, and two partridge breasts. Wow!

Frank, When's dinner?

I went to the scrap yard Saturday morning, 80% of it was *gone*. Sure hope they re-fill it before next Saturday. I did buy 90 pounds of steel/wrought iron (old wagon tyre pieces) about 80" of ore car rail from the mines, another steel milk crate---makes nice storage in the shop, a 10' section of 3/8 sq stock, 3' section of 1/2 sq stock,etc.

Cost US$10

I really hope I can have the press finished this year...might be more jan-feb.. But once I get it tooled up you should come down and you could make some hardies and whatnot.

Daniel as far as a press goes go bigger at least 30 tons or 50 tons if you are building you will grow in to it better to go with more than you think you will need once you work with it you out grow it.

The other day, I had to go to the scrap yard (its also a steel supply yard) to get some metal, and as alway's I got to the scrap pile and see if the metal I need is there, since I can get it for $0.35 a pound.
Well as I was looking I saw these HUGE shears, and just had to get them, if nothing else it would make good tool steel.
Then the day after that I had to go there again because of a mis callculation on materials :( and as I was going through the scrap I saw this cart. As I was weighing in my metal I asked the owner "how much you want for that cart?" and he replied "$0.35 a pound" and I quickly said "i'll be RIGHT back!!!" and went and got it.
so in both pieces I got about $30.00 and that = a happy blacksmith :)

post-23014-0-50467200-1353108821_thumb.j

post-23014-0-70261600-1353108835_thumb.j

In the older versions of those sheers the blades were inlaid with high carbon cutting edges forge welded in place then the bulk of the shear was soft steel or even wrought iron.

You can see examples of this sort of shear dating back into at least renaissance times especially WRT armourer's shops.

example

Had a sad day at the scrapyard the owner told me that the help had been undercharging me the last time; should have been 24 cents a pound not 11!

Still a better deal than driving 100 miles to get steel.

Not much there lately. I did pick up about 8' of heavy duty flexible steel tubing---what I like to connect blower to forge with. Used to be DOD according to the faded colour. Also found an old set of channellock diagonal cutters that looked in great shape and are soaking in blaster right now. Only one piece of wrought iron looked to be an old hasp of some sort.

I'm hoping the scrappers will be wanting to make some Christmas money...

As to metal going away; looks like my old truck may head down across the border for a 3rd life down there.

While looking for pallets to stack fire wood upon, I visited the usual places and behind one store happened upon several pallets. Ask if they were available and if I could have them, Yes, take all you want. As I loaded up 8 pallets the follow ask if I want some plywood to. So 8 pallets and 5 each 1/2 sheets of new 3/8 inch thick plywood and I was on my way home.

You must act fast and grab what is available when it is available. Find a use for it after you get it home.