I Forge Iron

It followed me home

A Doall variable speed milling machine with a DRO, air collect draw bar and power feed to replace my old beat down import mill with a seized quill. I also got a rotary table, a universal vise and a kurt milling vise plus a box of end mills.

Nice score! Looks like it was well taking care of, You running out of room? :huh:

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spending time chatting with folks is still pretty common out here in the sticks. Some "city folks" seem to think that it's a waste of time and impairs productivity not realizing that it's an *investment* that can pay back big time in the future.

For example when I was given two 40' utility poles, I called up a family friend who had a 20' trailer and he cheerfully came over and cut them to 20' lengths and hauled them to my shop extension building site and came back with a manipulator to lift and set them when I was ready for them.

Then months later his brother in law showed up with a broken jackhammer bit on a weekend where he had rented a jackhammer to do some concrete work only to be stopped by the bit breaking. So I forged it back out and heat treated it and told him to come back if there was any problem---first time I had ever done a jackhammer bit; but I'd read about them here...

No money changed hands either time save for I insisted to pay the gas for hauling my poles. Folks looking out for their neighbors and friends is still a country meme.

I am with you all the way with this one, Thomas. I am very much in debt to friends and neighbors, and new aquaintances. This should branch off to a new thread: "what I learned or gained from my neighbors".

Visited the local scrap yard Saturday; only spent US$5 for some square tubing used for highway sign supports, an old pitch fork---going to make my wife a spider for Christmas and have it dangling from a set of the xmas lights in a clear plastic tube...so I need 2 of them for the legs. I also picked up a 1" dia x 48" long wrought iron bolt to throw on the wrought iron pile---when I found it it was still on the scales being weighed in. I waited till it was officially "in" and added it to my pile. Finally a 6' length of 3/8 rod in great shape.

The sq highway sign tubing nests, is heavily galvanized and has holes on all 4 sides making it easy to bolt together---going to be putting some lengths into my shop floor to have removable fixtures like a bender and post vise, etc. (and still be able to yank them out and get the truck inside to work on it in bad weather or load it for a demo!

post-74-0-41795200-1349141233_thumb.jpgpost-74-0-74477700-1349141258_thumb.jpg

I got this at the Santa Fe Flea the other day. It is well forged, 19 7/8" long by 16 3/8" tall. My photos aren't very good. The horn is solid, as in one half a cone. The tail is round-sectioned and ends in a bevel. There is a small rectangular face. It is somewhat like a blowhorn stake and somewhat like a bickern. "Stake anvil" might be a better name for it.

Yard sales here have the usual stuff, clothes, glass wear, and everything that did not sell last time, or the stuff they bought at the end of the day from another yard sale somewhere. Cars were parked everywhere on both sides of the street with one parking space on the whole block. I made it through yard sale one, next door yard sale two, and finally at yard sale number three I got the fever. I pulled diagonally into the one empty space and loaded up a pedestal grinder with two 12 inch grinding wheels, a 20 foot long medium chain, and a 20 foot long heavy chain. The fellow tried to get me interested in buying his big ole decked out (read beautiful) Harley but unfortunately it would not fit in the trunk of the wife's car.

Sure it would have---you were just too chicken to remove the trunk lid and leave it on the side of the road!

Went to the fleamarket this morning, got a small old adjustable wrench with wooden scale grips, a 4" "Adjustable" C clamp, a moderate sized Trimo adjustable wrench and a Vaughan & Bushnell 36 oz linesman's hammer. Total cost US$8 though I will be putting a new handle on the hammer so add in another dollar.

Nice score on the post drill!

I'm reasonably pleased with my scores last weekend I hit the library book sale. Hard backs were $1.00 and paperbacks $0.50 so I came home with a box full of Clive Cussler easy reading adventure books and the real score Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 for $0.50.

I can send a pic of the box if you'd like but. . . ?

Nothing smithing related but a nice addition still.

Frosty the Lucky.

I picked up these hammers today at a flea market. don't know the original purpose but trust someone here can educate me

Looks like a meat tenderizer, but that would be wood most likely.

I suspect it is for pulverizing and smoothing the surface of stone with that toothed face.

Phil

I am always getting free metal and items. One time when I used to work maintenance at a big structural steel place they had us removing copper from some old welders they had laying around. Into the second day of us pulling these welders apart an old timer at the place came up to me and said " you know almost all them welders worked when we put them up there". I thought to myself Hmmmm, so I went to the plant foreman and said," You know its costing you more than the materials we are getting out of these to have us pull them apart, How about you let me take a couple home." He thought about it for a second or two and told me to take what ever I wanted home. So I had a big Lincoln 750 amp AC stick machine, A Linde spool gun, and a old bumblebee welder follow me home. I used the Lincoln welder for a while til I had to move and sold it for $500. Never did get around to using the spool gun and parted out the bumblebee cause I couldn't use it.

5 foot Duo Craft all cast iron wood lathe on a steel base cabinet needs cleaning/oiling and a motor (has 3 phase now)
Craftsman industrial 6 1/8 jointer on steel stand needs cleaning and oiling, Craftsman industrial table saw on steel stand with micro adjust fence, 3x3 foot cast iron shaper table (will become welding table), Duo Craft all cast iron industrail combination sander 10 inch disc and 6x48 inch belt on steel base cabinet ( I added 3/4 hp motor) 4x5 foot solid maple assembly bench with draws and doors below, Craftsman industrial cast iron hand mitre box takes full size hand saw looks almost new but no saw. All these tool are maybe early 60s at the newest and all need cleaning and oiling from being in an old storage building but all work and all were given to me in 1 load as scrap! They all are out of High School shop programs. Unfortunately I could not save the duplicates of each times 3 that did get scrapped ! a terrible waste of good old cast iron power tools! learning I intend to fix and use these machines in my shop I was also given but need to go get a complete Shop Smith system that has a burned motor again a late 50s early 60s machine " rather give it to you than the scrap man" Only thing I can't seem to get to haul away or "for scrap" is a decent anvil! I've collected usable blowers, forges,leg and bench vises and hand crank drill presses to set up a couple work stations for smithing but need to find anvils I can afford, A lot of it needs TLC but all is repairable and usable. I will try to get pictures of this stuff as I clean and repair it.

Fleamarket report Las Cruces NM
wooden bucket---old icecream maker---nice bucket US$3 May have to see if the motor is a good speed for a forge blower
RR Spike driving hammer: *excellent* condition, good handle, "modern" $5
Socket chisel $1
Brace screwdriver bit $1
Cowboy coffeepot, enameled no breaks on the inside $4
Ball peen hammer $1
Hand painted painting for my office 25 cents---I'm decorating my cube with hand painted paintings at $1 or less

I would not use them to pic up items out of the forge, (coal or gas) Al heats up very quickly and it would be easy to over heat them and have them melt. Normal Al melts around 1200, so handling anything that is glowing red would be to hot for them. Picking up things around the shop that are at a black heat should be fine, but I would still be careful. They look nifty.