• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought some bar clamps like that when one of the school districts shut down all of it's shop classes I bid $5 each for them, kept two and sold the other eight for $20 each to a cabinet maker, I also bought a small sheet metal brake for $10 and a really nice metal shear for $15 those I kept. It's terrible that they closed down the classes but I got a few good things out of it. The lathes went for small fortunes though as did most of the other shop equipment.
Nice bottle wrench you got there Thomas!

The rider on those clamps when flung can lop off large chunks of finger meat if it catches your hand inbetween the divots

Thanks Hayden, I will be careful. That is good information to know.

I bought some bar clamps like that when one of the school districts shut down all of it's shop classes I bid $5 each for them, kept two and sold the other eight for $20 each to a cabinet maker, I also bought a small sheet metal brake for $10 and a really nice metal shear for $15 those I kept. It's terrible that they closed down the classes but I got a few good things out of it. The lathes went for small fortunes though as did most of the other shop equipment. Nice bottle wrench you got there Thomas!

Bentiron, you did better than me...I paid $10 each and still considered it a bargain.

I bought a planishing hammer for $2 at an estate sale on Friday and finished polishing up the two faces this morning. Looks like the widow had used the flat face for driving nails to hang pictures with over the years. This hammer hadn't been used much otherwise, it still had the varnish on the handle and almost all the original gray paint on the head, stamped made in W. Germany. I couldn't make out the other hallmark though but I bet he paid plenty for this hammer when the original owner bought it new. Some other fellow beat me to the other silversmithing equipment, this hammer was in the kitchen junk drawer stuff, lucky me! This is about what it looks like http://store.metalliferous.com/prodinfo.asp?number=37.332

The school auctions I attended back in Columbus OH were sometimes productive---whenever they sold something new, the dealers wouldn't bid on it until they could go back and research it and so the next auction they would bid things up. So the first time they sold a Johnson heat treat forge---I bought one for $40. The next auction they went for several times that. With smart phones that probably no longer occurs.

I did buy a lot of sheet brass at a School "garage sale"; I'm always looking for materials cheap even if I have to store them for *years*!

Last Saturday at the scrap yard I didn't find much except for 30 7' pieces of 5/8" rebar that I happened to need for a project---stakes to hold wattle panels up. I believe I can cut them down to size, make tentstakes from the drops and end up getting the wattle stakes for free.

I've been busy at the auctions and with Craigslist recently, a couple weeks ago I picked up a 170lb (far left)PeterWright, then a few days later a 94 lb Peter Wright off craigslist (small one 2nd from left) , then saturday I got the red 146 Lb Peter Wright at an Auction and yesterday got a 175# mousehole (I think) no markings). Then today another craigslist offering, I got 2- 6 inch jaw post vices and several hardies and a nice stump anvil and a raising hammer, and some nice leathers. One of the vices needs a spring, and some wedges made,no problem , I think my pal Stu stole an anvil out from under my nose though, the seller said some guy from Jersey called and bought it sight unseen. I was gonna try to bargain with this guy a bit, it kinda sucks when you don't even get the chance cause some out of town guy calls it in. But if it was Stu, at least I know it will go to a blacksmith. I told the guy I was coming and he did not even wait for me to see the anvil, it was a 300lb hey budden. In all likelyhood I would not have paid the 750 he was askin for it, so sour grapes on me! Tomorrow night another auction with 2 anvils and a forge, yeehaw!

post-4158-0-27286900-1338840697_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-71636700-1338840698_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-39698200-1338840700_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-18118500-1338840702_thumb.jp

post-4158-0-35753900-1338840703_thumb.jp

today was road trip day. picked up divermike at about 8:45 this morning. finally got us home abot 3 this afternoon. laying quietly in the back of my p/u was a 178 lb trenton in pretty good condition. now i just have to figure out how to get it out, it took three of us to put it in. all in all drove 200 miles for the day and spent 250 bucks. figure it was a pretty good day.

today was road trip day. picked up divermike at about 8:45 this morning. finally got us home abot 3 this afternoon. laying quietly in the back of my p/u was a 178 lb trenton in pretty good condition. now i just have to figure out how to get it out, it took three of us to put it in. all in all drove 200 miles for the day and spent 250 bucks. figure it was a pretty good day.

Chainfall?
Tie the anvil to a tree and drive away?

Sounds like a good day!

Phil

Just tip it out of the bed, and then pick it up off the ground, if the bed height is not manageable. I am not that big, and I moved a 170# HB with help from the seller into the bed of my 4x4 Dodge 3500. IIRC I just rolled it off the tailgate when I got home, then used some ingenuity to get it into position. I have an 8,000# cap. Champ forklift now that I use for moving the heavy things, like my 7,000# lathe.

the 178# anvil was on a heavy old rr trestle section, all bolted and spiked, very heavy and akward, but the bolts were hand forged out of wrought, rusted to the nuts. worth saving. With my shoulder having had surgery, it was 2 and a half men...wait..where have I heard that before?

Was down to the local scrap yead yesterday. Took down some scrap material and came back with a Benzo-matic torch kit/case with multiple extraparts; mild steel stock (3/8" round and 1" by 3/16" bar); a double handful of mechanics sockets, 5 lb axe head; a couple of wrenches; and a vernier caliper. Left behind 4 and 8 lb sledge hammer heads; a couple of 24" carpenders crosscut saws; and a 50lb nail box full of 3/4" bolts (mixed types.)

I just picked up this horizontal band saw last night:

tf-ref-038.png

... Recently had a scary incident with an abrasive cut-off disc breaking up on me. Luckily no injuries, but it made me think there must be a better way to cut my stock. $100 on Kijiji, in great condition, with a bunch of extra (new) blades.

IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK!
I was asked by a friend to look at a home he wanted to buy, so I showed up early, the owner was having a yard sale, nothing I really wanted but a jackhammer bit, so out of the blue I asked "Got any blacksmithin tools?" He got a funny look on his face and said "yeah, I have an old anvil and stand I been haulin around for 30 years, and I don't really want to move it again". He takes me into his basement and shows me the treasure. As I tried to contain myself, he quoted a price I could hardly believe, as he wanted not to move it I figured he lowballed it a bit, but this being dutch country I had to try to get him to drop it a bit further, he did, and helped me load it in the car, a Hey Budden 156# anvil and a heavy stand, he also threw in a 24 inch diameter 3/4" steel round, all painted up nice. My buddies around here say I have a "knack"! Well it was a good day! I am trying to put in a smaller pic but having trouble.

post-4158-0-95275000-1339196951_thumb.jp

We are currently going through the process of clearing out my late in-law's estate. My father-in-law was a very interesting guy, he'd been a prospector in his younger years, and a millwright later in life. In any case, I'm finding some really cool books in is library - some very old, technical books.

Today's find: "The New Encyclopedia of Machine Shop Practice" by George Barnwell. Published in 1941.

The entire book looks like useful info to me, but in particular there are chapters on the "Heat-Treatment of Metals", "Welding, Soldering, and Brazing", and one on "Forging".