Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tf-img-067.pngtf-img-068.png

A friend of mine has a junk removal business. He was driving past yesterday, saw me working outside and stopped. He was on his way to the scrap yard to drop off a load, but asked me if I had any use for this odd vise before he scrapped it.

I don't really know anything about it, but its obviously meant for sheet metal / thin plate.
The jaws are 9" wide, but only open 1/4". It was free, and bound for the scrap, so I'm sure I can find a use for it.

A friend of mine has a junk removal business. He was driving past yesterday, saw me working outside and stopped. He was on his way to the scrap yard to drop off a load, but asked me if I had any use for this odd vise before he scrapped it.

I don't really know anything about it, but its obviously meant for sheet metal / thin plate.
The jaws are 9" wide, but only open 1/4". It was free, and bound for the scrap, so I'm sure I can find a use for it.

Dont try to clamp anything "too" thick. If you do, you run the risk of cracking it since cast iron does'nt have much "give". (Dont ask me how I know this... :unsure: bart)

That is not a vise. It is used to hold handsaws for sharpening.

mate, dont ever let him take a load without you checking it!!!! if he hadnt seen you, he wouldnt have stopped probably, and this would be getting melted!!!

I found a Montgomery Ward power hacksaw at a garage sale. Swapped the electric motor for one I had around and I was cutting in no time. Paid $20.

Had one just like it,good saw. Careful when lifting the bar with the rod that you keep your fingers only on the outside, that is NOT between the nut that holds the bar and the slide......A friend of mine lifted the bar and for some reason put his index finger there with the other 3 fingers outside(safe) while it was running and the tip of his index finger got crushed between the nut and the slide......... :(

I picked this 14" Makita Mitre saw up for $60 at the Habitat For Humanity ReStore the other day.

AYR9u.jpg

I immediately went and got a metal blade for it. Then I went home and built myself an anvil stand out of re-used 4x4's. Getting closer to having a working smithy...

Recently I was contacted by a guy who was cleaning out a barn and had some old smithing tools, he wanted them to go to some actual blacksmiths, I got a 200 lb swage block and several stakes, almost all of it went to the new Arc and Flame Center in Rochester NY, but I did keep one stake to add to my collection, and the smaller stake in the block of wood came from the Tim Kris collection, I picked it up from Blacksmith Barn yesterday.

post-4158-0-39695600-1337990081_thumb.jp

A friend of mine in West Virginia has a portable saw mill and is about to build a log cabin. He wants to have me make all the hinges for the doors. He dropped off four 5ft diameter wheel skeins (wrought). I took some pictures of them today. You can see, well I can, the grain of the iron in them. Hopefully the pictures will do them justice.

post-14490-0-97693800-1338086449_thumb.j
Here is where the ring was forge welded.

post-14490-0-57908300-1338086520_thumb.j
There are lateral marks where the ring was heated and struck to enlarge the diameter.

post-14490-0-34977500-1338086599_thumb.j
The grain of the iron is visable.

Hope the pics show enough detail.

Divermike, Let me know next time you get some more stakes like that, I may be interested. I bought a silversmith stake at an estate sale Friday and have been working at getting all the pits and dings out, it's starting to look kind of decent now. I have finished with the 80 grit paper and have started on the first go around with with the 120 to see how well I did with the file and 80 grit. I found a few places that still need to worked on with the file to get some of the deeper pitting out. Still it will be worth all the work I'm putting into it when I finished.

KYBOY, That's a nice vise, there was one on Ebay that went for a couple of hundred a month or so ago, you done good on that one.

My employer decided to go with a new hardware supplier which included all new nuts/bolts and cabinets. They had me spending two days sorting out the old stock and then decided not to mix it with the new stock. They offered this cabinet and all the bolts that I had sorted out LOL. Hundreds of dollars worth of inventory.....no more running to the local hardware store

post-2552-0-43320600-1338424297_thumb.jp

Wow, *sorted* nuts and bolts and in a cabinet---tis a find indeed. I was just happy to find the remains of somebody's bolt collection dumped in a bucket at the scrap yard---very handy to have some on hand when it would cost more in gas to get to town than buying the bolts on a project would...