• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went to visit a friend at his shop this weekend. Yesterday I went to deliver a job and and found this in the back of my truck. Not sure how it got there.

It looks like it needs a little TLC, a new spring, a stand and a new home.

nice vise....on a side note love the figure heads on you headache rack. heck love the whole design

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from women son!
I know of no other single thing on the planet that can interfere with forge time like a woman can.
Consider yourself duly warned. :)

i dont know it seems to have the opposite effect for me, she must like the big smile on my face (it cant be the fregrance , or the black foundation all over my face)

Big difference between when you're hunting and when you've caught a mate. When you are hunting, you can lose a *lot* of shop time. Once you have caught a good one they may *send* you out to the shop on a regular basis! (My wife says that it's good for "constipation of the soul".

One of my criteria was to find one who had a craft passion as well; as they would *understand* my smithing needs. (I also wanted one who wasn't a smith so we didn't have tool contention! Yes the budget for *my* tools is smaller; but I get to hog them all the time! Also my spouse's hobby can't be done in a smithy so it doesn't get filled up with their projects...

Thomas, that's a good point too late for me. My girlfriend is only partially employed so she started helping in the shop. She's now generated a couple of her own paying jobs and all of sudden she's got 'tool spread'. Her little earring stands (retail dispays, finish by Thanksgiving) took over an entire 4x10 foot table. :blink:

I've been working alone for 15 years, so it really chafed. Of course my outrage had to be tempered by the fact that I had encouraged it and that it was a paying job. I went and thumped stuff around in the corner.

Fleamarket report Socorro NM: got a real wood, (well veneered *plywood*), bookcase for my study for $15. The club stuff goes to the new president and I can at last get back to using my study *tomorrow*!

Also picked up a largish sewer snake 75-100' 3/4"wide. Got it as "stock" for $7 in good condition---now to hope I can cut it up and use it and *not* need it for it's original purpose! (and that none of the people buying simple eating knives off me read about the source of the stock! I was planning to use a Theophilus quench anyway...)

lol, you beat me to it, I was gonna post the same thing

xxxx i made 250 of those suckers they sold fast i will try to see if i still have a few. then comes the part of my stupid camera. i am going to buy a 110 lbs round bar of titanium in 1 year or 2 i defiantly can get you pics of that. even know the bar is $2500 i make i lot off of every one. they take 11/2 times as long to forge tough. but they are worth 10 times as much one the right market. that bar only lasted 3 months. and the knifes 1/2 that. no kidding them knifes sell fast.

More fun at work. Last week I took my dually in and filled the bed with stuff from their attic space. I got a bunch of misc items that was surplus, or no longer needed. A Schaublin bench top turret lathe, electric motors up to 1.5HP, coolant pumps, collets, time clock-always wanted one, B&L Accurite digital readout, lots of hardware, old cam type screw machine parts, plumbing, electrical, some 2x2 steel material(one is possibly O-1), gasket material, shim stock, Hardinge lathe controller and speed readout, and some stuff I that have no idea what it is.

I also bring home the wood crates from work that our material comes in. They are usually pine,and run around 6"x6"x12'. Lots of shelves, and other uses from the reclaimed wood.

More fun at work. Last week I took my dually in and filled the bed with stuff from their attic space. I got a bunch of misc items that was surplus, or no longer needed. A Schaublin bench top turret lathe, electric motors up to 1.5HP, coolant pumps, collets, time clock-always wanted one, B&L Accurite digital readout, lots of hardware, old cam type screw machine parts, plumbing, electrical, some 2x2 steel material(one is possibly O-1), gasket material, shim stock, Hardinge lathe controller and speed readout, and some stuff I that have no idea what it is.

I also bring home the wood crates from work that our material comes in. They are usually pine,and run around 6"x6"x12'. Lots of shelves, and other uses from the reclaimed wood.

Sounds like an early Christmas bonus.

Our Christmas bonus this year is we have a half day on the 24th, then we are off till Jan 3, paid.

I think I have them pretty well trained now, although I still have some work to do. They are asking me more, and more now when things are headed out. I also have several tossing their aluminum cans in a 55 gallon drum for me. I collect them 3 times a week from around the shop floor, and I am filling the drum up in about a month. We had a guard at Jelly Belly that was averaging $300 a month on the cans he collected there. I remember when I was getting 10 cents a pound, now they are $1.80 a pound in some areas.