I Forge Iron

It followed me home

Saddleboat check the the leg part near were the screw box is it apears to have slight bend in it as from over tighting i have fixed 3 that i have that had been bent in that area i removed the screw box and the pivot pin or bolt depending on how old it is and put it in a press and strighten it slowly checking it as i went and then the jaws lined up i should have took pics when i did it

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saddleboat check the the leg part near were the screw box is it apears to have slight bend in it as from over tighting i have fixed 3 that i have that had been bent in that area i removed the screw box and the pivot pin or bolt depending on how old it is and put it in a press and strighten it slowly checking it as i went and then the jaws lined up i should have took pics when i did it

Thanks ThomasPowers and Orgtwister. I will take your advise (no pun intended). Guess it wouldn't take much of a bend to
cause that.

• 3 weeks later...

Where I work I am fortunate enough to work with a retired Rail welder. I brought the larger "hammer" in for him to inspect since some stamping said. "CNR" which is Canadian National Rail up here in Canada. He saw it and immediately said I had an old hot cut they used to use when welding rail together. Gonna turn it into an eye maker for hammers now. BTW, got both at the flea market for 20$.

post-9523-12635941556854_thumb.jpg

I stopped at the junk yard today, and $20 ("cash is nice") bought me a truck leaf spring about 4 ft long, and a coil spring made from 5/8 inch. The leaf had to ride in the passenger seat, but all was good. I packed a sheet of plastic for this event.

Maybe on the expensive side, but cheaper than new steel by far. I wasn't going to pay any more though, and have dealt with these people before and dickering don't work. However, I did not need to dig through any metal, scrap, or trash, they left the metal beside my car, and the cats entertained my 2 year old daughter while waiting. I call it a fair deal.

I might make something for them and see if they sell to me for less in the future.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

One of my stainless steel subcontractors that I deal with just offered me a 5 X 5 acorn platen with a huge vise attached to it for scrap metal prices (he thinks it's about 1 - 1.5 cents a pound around here right now). I will be getting it for under $50. He's been trying to get rid of it for a while now, but noone he knows wants something that big and heavy. He doesn't feel right about throwing it in the scrap bin (I'm glad he feels that way).

We had a wicked blizzard last week so he has to dig it out when he's clearing his yard. If he gets it out today, I will pick it up next week and get some pictures.

Yeah, I've been watching for one for a while now. The area that I live in has very little in the way of manufacturing and heavy industry, so a lot of the 'fun' tools are few and far between around here (fly presses, big power hammers etc.). I mentioned to him that I was interested in blacksmithing and he throws this offer at me.

He asked 'do you know what an acorn is?' I picked my jaw up off the floor and said 'you bet I do!'.

The soluquip website shows that they have stacks of used ones in their inventory, but they don't list any prices. Throw some high shipping costs on them, and I pretty much ruled out the possibility of ever getting one.

Orgtwister, I have a mill very similar to your's. It came off of Mare Island Naval Shipyard, through one of the DRMO auctions.It had just gone through an overhaul, and is still in the cosmoline. The main difference I see is the base unit. Mine is square with the variable speed controls on the front. The only drawback is that it uses #9 Brown and Sharp arbors. Still available, but pricer than say R8 stuff. I may ream it out to a Morse taper, or may even make some arbors. Not even real sure where I may use it, since it has been sitting since Dad bought it back in the 80's. Too many projects runs in the family:P

one of our older NYSDBA members has unfortunatly decided to get out of the business due to copd issues, he is making some tools available, and I got over to pick some up, I can't seem to upload more than 1 pic at a time, and the site does not resize them to a manageable size like it used to, so I'll post 3 times, and hope you guys are patient.

post-4158-12648496324619_thumb.jpg

3rd pic, yeah I know for you weather weenies, this looks cold, but I don't seem to mind it much, and I was born in sunny Ca. but here in western NY, if I get 5 cars on my road in an hour, it's a traffic jam, and for most of the year, I can't even see my neighbors, no one has ever complained about my smoke or noise, and we live in an agricultural area, so if the grocery trucks stop running, we have food and water to spare.

post-4158-12648498248429_thumb.jpg

biggun i'm lucky as i have brown sharp mill that came with a lot of tooling if your lookng for collets little machine shop has a set for 140 and heres a link to guy that changed the tapper to r8 (shows how he did it)and at the bottom theres alink to the manual http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTools/VernonMill/

Hope the picts come thru.
This old Hobart welder sat in a friends backyard for years, one night he told me to take the dang thing home with me. I was over the following saturday and pulled it home. Needs some cleaning, tires, fuel lines, battery and plug. It has the old Wisconson motor with generator, two 220 outlets and four 110 outlest.
I also get to keep the vise and toolbox.
Hopefully I'll have this thing up and running by mid summer.

post-2495-12649606291981_thumb.jpg

Last week after the rain let up, I paid a visit to Eric DABLACKSMITH in Apache Junction. Shown below is what followed me home from his shop. Don't panic, I did pay him for it! I've done too many years without one and this one's a beauty. It needed only minimal readjusting to the spring and the wedge and up she went.

post-12173-12650757033852_thumb.jpg

post-12173-12650757121209_thumb.jpg